Listing weight loss as an accomplishment in your resume/CV?

Replies

• limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Noooooooooooo.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    I like to include when I'm regular. Employers like punctuality.

^ WIN!!
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Went in for a job that I was amazingly under qualified for a few months ago. I knew I had little to no shot of getting it, but I wanted to impress the HR person because I figured sooner or later I'd be working for that company. She asked me my greatest non-professional accomplishment so I whipped out my tablet and showed her my weight loss progress.

Didn't get it, but she still emails me from time to time letting me know whats available.

That was appropriate. But it doesn't belong on the resume and should only be shared in a similar situation.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    As someone who's done a lot of hiring...

I'd laugh my a** off and then throw away the resume immediately.

Actually I might hold on to it for a bit...just to show my co-workers.

^^^This. Sorry. I'm still telling the story of the guy that listed his magazine subscriptions on his resume. And the one who put his glamor shot on the top of his. Oh, and the one who used every single dingbat character in the font collection. Then there was the writer whose cover letter proclaimed, "Hire me. I am a very good writter!"

See? It's not a club you want to join.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    I am a professional recruiter and have been for 24 years....I would say that this is not relevant at all...certainly not in the UK....

If you are asked then it's obviously something to be really proud of, but I would steer clear of anything other than your actual skill set and work based acheivements on your resume...
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Maybe in the hobbies/interest bit enter that you are interested in health and fitness
  • Dmarisol
    Dmarisol Posts: 35 Member
    I was thinking the same thing. I almost mention it in an interview :D
  • Rasputin
    Rasputin Posts: 4 Member
    just saw your question re: CV
    IF nobody else has responded - too many posts to read - it means Cirriculum Vitae - latin term which basically means listing all the formal educational courses and relavent work experience
    Same as resumê; more commonly used by persons with a university degree; more commonly used by Canadians and Europeans
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Wow guys - so harsh. What's the issue? I list my measurements and include sexy boudoir photos with my resume. I've been thinking of including a copy of my medical history, a listing of my personal likes/dislikes, a hair sample and some recent mug shots... thoughts?

tumblr_m9nmq6lBZa1rcciplo1_500.gif
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Been thinking about this more. Get a part time job as a personal trainer/fitness coach/whatever and add THAT to your CV.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    he's trying to hire someone in a specific location, he gets resumes from people who live time zones away! "just in case you change your mind" wha? hellos! You can't touch computers in LA if you live in Nebraska!

What if they're making it clear that they're looking to relocate?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    just saw your question re: CV
    IF nobody else has responded - too many posts to read - it means Cirriculum Vitae - latin term which basically means listing all the formal educational courses and relavent work experience
    Same as resumê; more commonly used by persons with a university degree; more commonly used by Canadians and Europeans

Thanks. I actually had edited my post to say I did look it up and a few people responded. :-) I knew what it WAS (like a resume), just not what the letters stood for. I watch a lot of British television and I hear it on there all the time, but always forget to look it up! lol
  • Definitely not.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Do you think it's a good idea to share this information? I mean, losing weight does require many skills that would be helpful in many jobs like dedication, being detailed oriented (counting calories), hard working (exercise), etc. What are your thoughts?

I totally 'get' your take on this. weight loss and getting fitter demonstrates a lot of good qualities in an individual...but dont enter this as a part of your resume. Incase, you could mention this in your hobbies/about me section and if asked at interview, elaborate on your weight loss journey through exercise regime and food discipline?? But don't highlight it as an achievement like sales results etc...
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    As someone who's done a lot of hiring...

I'd laugh my a** off and then throw away the resume immediately.

Actually I might hold on to it for a bit...just to show my co-workers.

^^^This. Sorry. I'm still telling the story of the guy that listed his magazine subscriptions on his resume. And the one who put his glamor shot on the top of his. Oh, and the one who used every single dingbat character in the font collection. Then there was the writer whose cover letter proclaimed, "Hire me. I am a very good writter!"

See? It's not a club you want to join.

^^ This - DO NOT do it! Resumes like this wind up getting passed around the office for chuckles. Like others have said, yes - weight loss takes work & dedication...........but they'll also know you got yourself in a pickle being overweight to begin with. No, just no.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    f4gp0egdw0q1.gif

A 9-year-dead zombie
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    It probably depends on the job, but it still seems to me that this will be unnecessary information. Your resume should indicate your skills, personal qualities and General data, why someone should know about weight loss. A friend of mine once made a resume with unnecessary items and could not find a job for a very long time. When I found out about it, I laughed, but then I helped him. I told him to just copy my resume and insert his details. And what do you think, he was able to find a job where he still works :)

How the heck did you come across an 8 year old thread about putting weight loss on your resume?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I agree with everyone else but something I didn't see mentioned...some prospective employers might find it a big turnoff that you're talking about weight loss in the first place. Like maybe they personally struggle with it and don't want to turn the attention on themselves...or they are afraid you'll be that person in the office who can't stop talking about it.

Just no!
  • ZenDream
    ZenDream Posts: 208 Member
    Congratulations on your significant weight loss. It is an accomplishment for which you can and should be proud.

Like others have said, particularly those in the employment field, I would not add it to the CV.

But depending on any given interview you may have opportunity to discuss the core issue which is about the importance of identiying and setting goals, diligently working toward those goals and, with discipline, accomplishing what you set out to do.

Good luck!