Not so great check up

2»

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    How long was it between the time you tested and the time your doctor tested? If you were fasting all that time you could have had a "liver dump" which will raise your BGL. As far as starting over with a new doctor, unless you are really unhappy with this one, I wouldn't. You might want to be more diligent with testing your BGL levels and watching your diet. I have noticed a change in my levels since I have been more regular with my testing. I'm still struggling with what foods I should be eating in what amounts but I have made huge strides.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    You numbers should be different when you are testing after fasting (first thing in the morning) and when you are testing after eating. I was told that number under 100 for fasting were in the good range and under 180 after eating. Does anyone else have different numbers they go by? A reading of 123 after eating is not bad at all.
  • computercarl
    computercarl Posts: 10 Member
    An A1C of 7 is an average BG of 172.

No, A1C 7.0% (53 mmol/mol) ~= BG 154 mg/dL (8.5 mmol/L), but still high. You can do better!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    I saw my doctor today and she told me that studies have shown that tight glucose control along diabetics is not such a good thing since people have died from hypos. Is that true? She said she thinks I need to be under 7. I am currently struggling at 7.8.

What does "tight glucose control" mean?

How many carbohydrates are you eating a day? Carbs = sugar. Low carbs = low sugar.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I saw my doctor today and she told me that studies have shown that tight glucose control along diabetics is not such a good thing since people have died from hypos. Is that true? She said she thinks I need to be under 7. I am currently struggling at 7.8.

The general recommendation is to aim close to normal whenever possible to do so without risking hypoglycemia. The risk of hypoglycemia is greatest for those using insulin (and to a lesser extent, insulin-stimulating drugs), particularly children and the elderly. Diabetics in those groups may have a slightly higher target range, particularly if they are dependent on others for meals, monitoring and medications. That said, an A1c of 7 is considered the top range even for a higher-risk group.

The risk of hypoglycemia in diabetics using diet, exercise and Metformin is quite low and tight control to a "normal" range is strongly recommended.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    You numbers should be different when you are testing after fasting (first thing in the morning) and when you are testing after eating. I was told that number under 100 for fasting were in the good range and under 180 after eating. Does anyone else have different numbers they go by? A reading of 123 after eating is not bad at all.

I have read that we are entitled to the same blood sugars as non-diabetics and that the ADA does not suggest it because they think it is too hard for us. The actual normal range of a healthy non-diabetic is 83 to 88 before, during, and after meals, everyday with an A1c of 4.2 to 4.8 (or 4.6). That's tight control. I don't accomplish this often and my last A1c was a 5.0, but that is my aim.