Women - are you walking or jogging at 4mph?

Replies

• darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    I'm used to walking at 4 mph I get to the jog stage around 5.5-6 mph. I have never really gone any faster.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Funny...this is a bit disillusioning for me. I'm 5'5", and 3.3 mph is as fast as I can walk. Today I had to slow down and walk longer instead, because I had pain in my lower legs and in my right hip bursa joint. I can't imagine ever getting past 3.5 mph. Granted, I can swim 34 laps (although it takes me about 50 minutes). Anyway, kind of depressing. Almost like I'm not doing anything at all compared to everyone else. :(
  • prpljellybean
    prpljellybean Posts: 68 Member
    I am 5'4" and when I am on the treadmill I am walking at 4.0 mph. I use the Runkeeper app. and go out and do walk/jog intervals. My current routine is 5 min warm up walk and then 2 minutes fast walking and then 2 minutes jogging. I usually average out at about 12.5 mph.
  • cararickel
    cararickel Posts: 22 Member
    Actually, there are several studies out now that have proven that running/jogging burns more calories than walking at the same speed.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single

I started jogging at the same speed I was walking (4.5 mph), did that for a week, increasing the time jogged, and then started upping the speed slowly. Three weeks later, I'm now running at 5 MPH for 40 minutes.

I really believe that it was mind over matter as far as how fast I thought I could go--I was using the treadmill numbers to hold me back! When I went running with my brother-in-law on a track, I ended up running 5MPH without any trouble (I had only run at 4.5 on the treadmill until then). I realized that I was looking at the numbers on the treadmill too much instead of listening to my body. Once I broke free of the number trap, my speed and endurance increased dramatically.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    I'm 5'2" with a long torso and short legs, and 4 mph is walking for me. It's a brisk walk, but it's definitey walking.
  • Hi,

I'm don't fit the target demographic for this question (I'm a 5'7 male), but I wanted to jump in to warn you about walking at 4.0 mph.

Basically, I've been walking on the treadmill 5 out of 7 days a week for a month total for about 45 minutes each time. I've progressed from 3.3 to 4.0.

After a few sessions of pretty fast walking at 4.0, I've started to get pain in both my feet (heels) which reminded me of the plantar fasciitis that I used to have years ago.

I'm wearing New Balance trainers with the correct arch support ... etc., but it just seems that walking at that speed alters your walking dynamics significantly and the heels are pounded on much more than normal walking or jogging.

I'm since switched to a slow jog at 4.3 (jogging at 4 was awkward for my pace), and the heel pain has all but went away after a week of this.

So, please be careful of fast walking at 4.0 mph, and I suggest either switching to a jog, or slowing down to a 3.5 or so (with an incline if you'd like to increase the challenge).

Good luck,
    M
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    I am 5'7.5" and on the treadmill the fastest I can walk is 3.5.. I would have to jog at 4.0.. When I walk outside I usually walk 3.3 and that seems the fastest I can seem to walk.. I would really love to job but every time I try the fronts of my legs start hurting.. Maybe I should just take it slower..
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    A 10 foot tall woman would be walking.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I walk until 4.7

I consider jogging 4.8-6.0

Running is anything faster than 6.1

Oh... and I'm 5'9"
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    I am also 5'4" and 4 mph is definitely a jog. Anything over 3.7 mph is a jog for me.

Logging it is difficult.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    I don't use equipment, but I use the WATP video at home-supposedly walking, but there's a lot more bounce in my step than that. I used to walk outdoors at 3mph, but that was a while ago. I know we go faster now because it takes less time to get to the same spot, so we have to walk further in the same amount of time. I don't think it's as fast as 4 mph, though. I'm 5'4" also and I think I will be walking at 4 in a few more months. Hubs says my stride has lengthened over the last year or so which could account for it.

Hope I never have to jog properly-it would kill my tired old bones and joints!

Barb

Edited to fix a typo that the system thought was a bad word.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Funny...this is a bit disillusioning for me. I'm 5'5", and 3.3 mph is as fast as I can walk. Today I had to slow down and walk longer instead, because I had pain in my lower legs and in my right hip bursa joint. I can't imagine ever getting past 3.5 mph. Granted, I can swim 34 laps (although it takes me about 50 minutes). Anyway, kind of depressing. Almost like I'm not doing anything at all compared to everyone else. :(

Don't get depressed, everyone has to go at their own pace. You've lost 30 pounds - that tells me you're doing GREAT things. Hang in there and the walking will get easier to get up to a faster pace.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    5mph is where jogging starts for me....although 4 is at that awkward in-between stage so I avoid it. I do my fast walk at 3.8 and my jog at 5 and my run at 7.
  • Hi! I"m 5'6", and the fastest I feel comfortable walking is around 3.8. If I walk instead of jog at any level faster than that, I feel it in my knees and ankles.
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    I have no idea. Haven't been on a treadmill in years. I usually walk outside, at a 3.0 or 3.5mph pace (according to my Fitbit). Will have to try out the treadmill next time I'm at the gym and see where my threshhold is. I'm 4'11" with short legs so don't imagine it's much beyond 4.0, if that.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    I call that "wogging". I can't walk that fast for long, so I have to switch to jogging.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    I'm fast walking at 4mph and jogging at 5mph
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    I'm 5'4" and also cannot walk at 4.0. However, jogging at 4.0 is uncomfortable, like it is way to fast to walk (3.7 is my max), but too slow to jog. I have to be at AT LEAST 4.5 to feel right jogging.
  • I started at a gym last week... I walk (holding on) at 5-5.5 on a 3.5-4.5 incline and im only 5'4 I didnt think I was a fast walker till I read this!! :happy:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    5'6 and 4 mph is a very brisk pace for me - if I went faster it would have to be a jog