he's back!! and fatter than ever ladies and gentleman!!

13»

Replies

• 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    i've thought about surgery too but i don't think i would appreciate the new me that much if i did it that way. working hard and the sweat and tears and the success from doing it myself even if it takes several years would mean more to me and would encourage me to keep it off. hang in there. do ever give up!!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Lots of great advice already. Big step, you are here! Add some of us as friends. We're here to help motivate. overall, YOU control what YOU put in your mouth! I agree with start with calories you drink. Lots of empty calories. Water, water, water! Diet soda is hard on the body too (although I get stopping it slowly for caffeine)

Get a small amount of exercise every day. even if that means walking up and down your driveway 3 times today, 4 times tomorrow, etc. you didn't gain over-night, you won't lose overnight.

Healthy Foods! Fruit, vegetables, eat up! start cutting out as many of those processed foods as you can!

You Can Do This!

Commit!!!
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    They are all right about learning to eat healthy. But on the other side my Son-in-Law did have the lap band surgery after years of struggling with his weight . It has been successful for him, now down to normal weight for his frame. He has to commit to a healthy lifestyle or it would all be for naught. So I guess I'm saying for some this is what works but, that is a personal decision we all have to make for ourselves either way we will be here to cheer you on.........
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Hey hey!! Welcome! We're all here to support and cheer each other on! Feel free to add me and expect to be supported and called out!
  • how badly do you want this? if you want it badly enuf you WILL suceed! but its all about healthy choices......not just while you are here, but for a lifetime. are you ready to commit for a lifetime?
    excercise also! even if its only 10 or 15 mins a day to start....you need to excercise. i guarantee you will be sucessful in your weightloss. Don't give up!! you can do this! good luck in your journey.....i wish you much sucess!! :flowerforyou:
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    het welcome back =)
  • Excira
    Excira Posts: 21
    Hang in there hun! My friend was 460lbs before using this website 7 months ago. He has now lost 140lbs and keeps going.

He is the reason I'm here. I was morbidly obese and lost the weight myself... however, the last 17 are not giving up without a fight (and neither am I).

Just remember what you feel like at this very moment and use that feeling as fuel to get the weight off.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Ok ya ever seen those fake foam rocks? Those soft thingies that look just like a rock but the inside is made of sponge? Thats the rock I been hitting! lol! I give it a good swat and it shrinks.....but then it bounces off the table and smacks me in the chin...ugh!

You've got a good sense of humor about yourself. That a really good thing! Being able to laugh at your failures is needed, because wallowing in self pity is detrimental. I'll send you a friend request and we'll do this together! If we keep each other on track and make sure we're at our calorie goals and exercising, we can do this. Foam is porous. That rock isn't as big as you think it is!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    I have a friend who says that making these big changes is like hitting a stone with a hammer. You can hit it 100 times and it doesn't seem like anything is happening, then the 101st time the stone breaks open. So keep trying!

I don't know... i'm kinda thinking, forget the big changes.... I think I'd look for a small corner, and hit that with the hammer, and chip it off. It might not seem like you're getting anywhere, taking tiny chips off that huge boulder, but keep after it, and by gosh, you'll end up with a big change that you never saw coming!

That's interesting to me, because when I pictured the rock I didn't picture a huge boulder. I had more of a stone in my mind. It really struck me because I am a big believer in the value of small steps and I always thought of hitting the stone each time as a small and significant effort. I think just coming here is a valuable step, a bash at the rock.
  • TCondor
    TCondor Posts: 88
    I grok your position dude. I've been up and down a few times (up more than down) and every "re-start" feels like an exercise in futility.

For me it's all about community and support, which I feel like I've found at MFP! Fee free to "friend" me if you'd like to connect w/a kindred spirit.

Peace -- TC
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Dude. Start tracking. Start walking. You can do this!
    :drinker:

^^This!

Whatever you do, don't make it complicated. Just try to meet your daily calorie goal, and get in a little movement every day. YOu will hear from people about nutritional macros, and crazy exercize programs like P90X, and 30-day Shred. None of this is truly helpful to someone starting out (even if it is starting again for the 100th time).

I use the MFP's daily calorie goal like it is cash in my wallet. I have so many calories available when I wake up every day, but that is all the cash I can spend (eat). Now, if I'd like to spend (eat) more, then I need to earn more cash (burn more calories). I try to stay within 100 cal. of my goal -- give or take. Don't worry about the details, like Fat, Carbs, Protein, whatever, yet. People get hung up on these things, and have trouble moving forward.

Friend me, if you like. I'll cheer on your successes. I won't judge.

Good luck!
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    I'm not sure if it will help you, but I know I myself tend to be a very lazy, unmotivated individual. The main thing that helps me is to set my goals for the workouts I want to do, and do at least one of the routines *the second I step out of bed*. That way, I go through the rest of the day knowing I accomplished that one bit, that I didn't crap out. & I find that one bit of succeeding in my goal motivates me to keep going throughout the day, rather than what I'd normally do: spend all day thinking about the workout I still have to do & keep putting it off until I just don't do it.

I've also taken to daily walks. I still talk myself into them many times, which is funny because they are so low impact & I know I enjoy each and every one of them (we live in such a beautiful area for walks). & I find that the sunshine (or rain, this time of year) & fresh air also helps wake me back up again & gives me my next burst of energy throughout the day.

&, silly as it sounds, this website has really helped to kick my butt back in gear. I know I should be doing these exercises only for me, but I really love being able to come on here each day & post that I finished all my goals that day... that I didn't give up. & it also really helps to see other people struggling at the same points I do, or pushing through and making it to the next level, or simply seeing real people sharing their struggle & showing off the results they were able to achieve. It's a daily reminder that I too can push through this if I can just stay motivated.

I hope you find your motivation & just stick with it. I would focus rather on daily goals rather than result driven goals. Set your sights on accomplishing a certain set of tasks each day, each week, each month (exercise routine, changes in eating habits, etc), rather than thinking "I want to lose this many pounds each month". I think most tend to feel successful when they can look at each week and think "Wow, I really am eating healthy & my body is feeling better than before" or "wow, I'm really noticing a change in my endurance during these routines, they are beginning to get a bit easier".... rather than, "I didn't lose any weight this week". Focus on the positive changes, and hopefully the rest will stem from there.
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    I think that a strong support group of friends who have the same struggles, will help! Wishing you much success.
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Lots of fat backs on here. You're in good company.