Intimidated in the weights side of the gym

Options
13»

Replies

• funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was the same way for years.Everything intimidates me and I am very shy..... I finally just did it and owned it and know I love it! You can do this:smile:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I was pretty intimidated at first also. I think most people are even if they dont admit it. Just force yourself to go and have a plan and some training on proper form. Put your headphones on and go to work. Within a couple weeks it will be a second home. Most people dont care what others are doing and if you catch them looking at you it is probably just because they were looking around while resting between sets not because they were judging you or anything.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I asked the trainers to help me with the weights first, I felt more comfortable when I did it on my own
  • rjkoch64
    rjkoch64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just remember to rack your weights when your done wipe down the equipment when your done and don't stand around talking if there are others waiting to use the equipment you are working with. Someone else said it be a considerate person and realize most of the people lifting are not paying attention to anything else but there workout.
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated! Just go for it! Definitely have a plan of attack so you're not standing around scratching your head or wasting time, but that's as much for you as it is for "them". The people who intimidate you are people working out, just like you. At worst, they won't care about what you're doing unless you're in their way, at best, they might get a kick out of watching you and respect you for going for it.

You can't go wrong being friendly either (as long as you're not bugging people who are focused and busy). If you're standing next to someone and neither one of you have earbuds in, strike up a conversation about how you're new at this. When I first started lifting again I went for my little 5 lb. dumbbells just as this massive bear of a man was going for his 50+ or who knows how heavy ones underneath. I looked at him, smiled big and sweet and asked him if he was jealous of my guns. He said he was, and now we're gym friends.

Edited for grammar issues. There may be more. I'm tired :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I mean what are the unspoken rules?
    "heavy" for me is 10lbs. Is there a certain weight you have to be able to lift to not be sneered at?

THE FIRST RULE OF WEIGHTS SIDE IS THERE ARE NO RULES ON WEIGHTS SIDE!!!!!

Seriously, as someone who been going to gyms for decades and has spent 99.99998% of his time on the "weights side", I am telling you straight up, come on over here and do whatever the hell you wanna do. As long as you're getting your workout on, I don't care what you do, how much you do, or where you do it.

There's a lot of very judgey threads that get posted on MFP about what complete strangers do with their own time and money, and my advice to you is to ignore them (or do what I do and pop in there to tell them to get over themselves). I don't understand how people on a candy *kitten* site like MFP can be so uppity about other people in the gym. I've never had a serious problem with anyone in any gym I've ever been to, and most serious gym goers I have known have not had a problem either. We're here to train, and as long as you don't drop a weight on my foot, I'm glad you're here.

Want to lift 5 lb dumbbells on the bench press? ME NO CARE
    Want to wear makeup to the gym? ME NO CARE
    Want to wear fancy sweats or bummy sweats? ME NO CARE
    Want to text in between sets? ME NO CARE
    Want to work out on the bench next to me instead of leaving some imaginary private space? ME NO CARE
    Want to do squats in the curling rack? ME NO CARE

But keep in mind, just because we don't care what you do in the gym, doesn't mean we don't care about you. If you have a question, no matter how stoooopid you may THINK it is, we will take it seriously and we will help you, spot you, move a stack of plates for you, or whatever you need. Please do not hesitate to ask us for help. We WANT to help you. We WANT you to become a member of our little club. We do NOT want you to leave because you feel intimidated. If someone IS making you uncomfortable at the gym, come see one of us and the problem will get solved. Quick.

Sincerely,

Every True Lifter That Ever Walked This Planet
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

This.
    I was lucky though. I had my 50 year old mother (that was what I considered old back then) showing me the way. She confided in me that she was intimidated but decided this. While with her I never saw anyone look at her the way I was worried people would look at me. More than that, the people on "that side" loved her. It's never been an issue since.

She was right - most people are so focused on what they are doing they don't notice you.

Go for it.

Your moms showed you how to lift at the gym? That's the most awesomest awesome thing I've ever friggin heard!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

"heavy" for me is 10lbs. Is there a certain weight you have to be able to lift to not be sneered at?

Seriously, as someone who been going to gyms for decades and has spent 99.99998% of his time on the "weights side", I am telling you straight up, come on over here and do whatever the hell you wanna do. As long as you're getting your workout on, I don't care what you do, how much you do, or where you do it.

There's a lot of very judgey threads that get posted on MFP about what complete strangers do with their own time and money, and my advice to you is to ignore them (or do what I do and pop in there to tell them to get over themselves). I don't understand how people on a candy *kitten* site like MFP can be so uppity about other people in the gym. I've never had a serious problem with anyone in any gym I've ever been to, and most serious gym goers I have known have not had a problem either. We're here to train, and as long as you don't drop a weight on my foot, I'm glad you're here.

Want to work out on the bench next to me instead of leaving some imaginary private space? ME NO CARE

But keep in mind, just because we don't care what you do in the gym, doesn't mean we don't care about you. If you have a question, no matter how stoooopid you may THINK it is, we will take it seriously and we will help you, spot you, move a stack of plates for you, or whatever you need. Please do not hesitate to ask us for help. We WANT to help you. We WANT you to become a member of our little club. We do NOT want you to leave because you feel intimidated. If someone IS making you uncomfortable at the gym, come see one of us and the problem will get solved. Quick.

Sincerely,

:heart: this post. Thank you for taking the time to say this.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Its actually my favorite side of the gym! (I'm generally the only girl there too, unless my mum joins me for workouts haha!)

It takes some guts, but it really isn't all that bad. Don't worry about how much you can or cannot lift or do, everyone has to start somewhere! :flowerforyou:
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I get intimidate too but I paid for my membership and I have every right to stand there and use my 5-10lb weights (I have yet to see any guy use the 50lbs, lol). I sometimes take them over to the corner where I do my squats, lunges and pushups but I am over hiding! I will work up to heavier weights one day (I had frozen shoulder and didn't have surgery and I'm almost 100% now) just not today. Go get it girl! And I agree w/rotating weights and cardio, sounds like a good plan to me!
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Sincerely,

:heart: this post. Thank you for taking the time to say this.

BEST ADVICE Yet! ^_^ Thank you to whomever posted this!!:heart::drinker:
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    It's super awkward because nobody knows what to do in between sets. I think they should remove half the mirrors and replace them with monitors attached to N64s. When you've completed 1 lap of rainbow road, you start your next set.
  • workitoffnow
    workitoffnow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    All the machines should have instructions on how to sit. Adjust them to your body and pick a starting weight. If you can't do 15 reps it's too hard. You want to do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

On the contrary, if you can do 10-15 reps, the weight is not heavy enough and you are not going to get anywhere. The maximum you should be able to do is 8. 6 is even better.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    It's super awkward because nobody knows what to do in between sets. I think they should remove half the mirrors and replace them with monitors attached to N64s. When you've completed 1 lap of rainbow road, you start your next set.

Haha! That would be awesome! Rainbow road was my favorite! :happy:
  • emandlukeplusone
    emandlukeplusone Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am overwhelmed with the amount of encouragment you have all given me! And thank you for the advice too!!! I am stoked about going back on Sat. and I think I might try to lift a little heavier I did all my arm stuff with 10lb weights 3 sets of 20 and I wasn't really having that hard of a time, although I WILL be very sore tomorrow. maybe I'll see if I can do 12lbs on Sat.

There are a lot of really good ideas on here: Wear headphones, check for a free training session and ask for help, go with your husband, be considerate, ask if you don't know something, don't care, etc. ya'll are the greatest! THANK YOU!
    Emily
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Do some research. Pick a good program like StrongLifts 5x5. Go in there, think to yourself that you have better sex than everyone in there. Get your lift on.

This works for me because I lift with 20-year-old boys. Remember how bad 20 year old boys were at sex?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Do some research. Pick a good program like StrongLifts 5x5. Go in there, think to yourself that you have better sex than everyone in there. Get your lift on.

This works for me because I lift with 20-year-old boys. Remember how bad 20 year old boys were at sex?

LOL I remember my 20's differently but its entirely possible that I was mistaken. :drinker:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

LOL I remember my 20's differently but its entirely possible that I was mistaken. :drinker:

Probably :wink: . I once heard a guy say "as long I'm satisfied then I AM good". I realized later he wasn't joking....
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Yes! Thank you, this is what makes it so weird to go over there.
  • Jennaissance
    Options

Probably :wink: . I once heard a guy say "as long I'm satisfied then I AM good". I realized later he wasn't joking....

Oh hell, thanks for the belly laugh! Both of you!