Wheat & Pasta bad- please explain

124»

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    they're not bad... overeating them is... along with anything else
  • wheat and grains are just bad period.

I second this motion. I think they meant that wheaty stuff tastes like crap, not that they are healthfully bad for you......actually had to explain it... :-/
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Don't buy in to the anti-carbohydrate hype around here.

As others have said, as long as you aren't over doing it, and you don't have a valid medical reason to avoid it, wheat/pasta/carbs are a perfectly normal part of a healthy balanced diet.

And if you are eating whole grains, even better.

This! Most of my calories come from high-fiber whole grains - including wheat - and I have had no problem losing weight and maintaining now for well over a year. I eat pasta every day! Just watch portion sizes, keep it within your calorie limits, and opt for more fiber when you can. Unless you have a sensitivity, allergy, or insulin resistance, avoiding wheat and pasta is not something you need to do. :drinker:
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Wheat is neither good nor bad. It is just a type of food. Some people have intolerance or allergic reactions to the protein in wheat, gluten. If you don't and you can fit the calorie load into your diet, go ahead.
    this
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Eat shirataki noodles. 30 kcal a cup. I eat it every day.
    I eat as well... but let's get real... aint the same at all!

If you put the right sauce on it it can be pretty close. I put a little bit of some quality marinara sauce on it and I'm good.
    Not even! The texture is closer to those noodles in those delicious asian soups I like in the Byward Market in Ottawa... Note: That I like..!!

But pasta is pasta, it's still not the same texture than the delicious italian dish we are used too!

Sorry =)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Its not that wheat is entirely bad but is a processed food.
    If you have it for breakfast as cereal, lunch as sandwiches or bagels and dinner in the form of pasta then the majority of your diet is wheat that is not good.
    We were biologically built as hunters and gatherers and no amount of hamburger chains can change our makeup.
    If it does not fall from a tree get pulled from the ground or killed you should not eat it.

Look, I hear where you are coming from, and less processed stuff (and more variety) is a great aim but if I have a beat myself up about having a party pie or a slice of pizza at a morning tea then something is seriously wrong with my life.

We can all be healthy without imposing thou shalt nots.

Vim, what the heck?? Your posts are starting to sound like something I would write!!?? Who are you and what have you done with Vim?? :laugh:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    I joined 4 days ago and just learned pasta and wheat is fattening? Can someone please explain to me how whole wheat, and whole wheat pasta is bad for you? Or how much is too much? Since my children were born Ive been buyin whole wheat bread and feeding them pasta, ofcourse I indulge too. How bad is it?

not bad at all... just use portion control