Can you lose weight running??

124»

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Just wanted to say that the comments about running no longer burning as many calories after you are experienced at it is not really the case.

Running a mile at a given pace burns about the same number of calories at a given body weight for a person, regardless of how well trained you are. It will just feel a whole lot easier to run that mile at that pace.

Of course if you lose weight, you'll burn less per mile because you are doing less work (just as if you were running with a weighted vest and then without that vest).

Furthermore, as you become better at running, you'll be able to go both faster and longer, and then it really gets easy to burn calories -- so there is a long-term payoff if you stick with it. Starting out with a c25k program, you will be running about 9 miles per week, which will work out to maybe 700-1500 calories per week, depending on your weight, so only a small impact on your weight loss. I currently run 40-60 miles per week, giving me about 4000 calories per week of burn even at my low weight, and I can barely eat enough to stop from losing more. I have been tracking my exercise and calories for a long time (used to use other systems before MFP), and my rate of calorie burn per mile has been about the same (as judged by weight loss results) regardless of whether I was a new runner, well-trained runner, or new-again runner (after babies).
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    the reason why I started running....25lbs lighter in 2 months....so yes running can help but proper diet helped as well...good luck

5x week 3 miles a day is what I started out doing.........