I need a good comeback! Tired of being made fun of...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, just not to the same degree, many years ago when I turned veggie. I got so sick of the comments I finaly got a t/shirt printed saying 'Yes I'm a veggie, if it had a face I don't eat it.' Along with cartoon pics of all the usually animals crossed out. It kinda worked, but the jerks were still jerks.:grumble:
  • Hourglass_Lass
    Hourglass_Lass Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd just look at them, smile and say, "Hey you never know! When YOU grow up, you might choose to be a vegan/vegetarian too!" And then carry on. Water off a duck's butt and all that. You can't buy class.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I would go onto the PETA website. Print up some pics of turkey farms and any of the other farms of the meats that is going to be served at the meal. When they start to give you grief, just plop the pages on the table and tell them that is part of the reason you don't eat meat.
    I am sure that would shut them up.
  • Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just pack a meal and enjoy the fellowship with your family, take enough for everyone but don't worry about what they say about your lifestyle choices. If it were not for the noble pig, I would probably be vegan too ^^. I do however have a vegan nephew and I keep utensils and a couple of plates, bowls and pans in a plastic tub stored downstairs for when he comes over and I make sure I make him a delicious lentil casserole, bean dip, babbaganoosh <sp> etc. Some people are just plain closed minded and there is nothing you can do about it.

OHH I got it, make them some black bean burgers and say Once you go black...
  • Brandiberry77
    Brandiberry77 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You could just tell them in graphic detail, with a powerpoint slide presentation, of how the turkey got to their table.

I can't wait until we get our chickens next year because I am looking forward to processing the bird just like my husband and I process the deer we hunt! Will be interesting to see if our kids turn out Vegetarians! =)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    "You forgot I'm a vegetarian? It's been 17 years. Maybe you should see to a doctor?"

As for when they offer you meat to tease you, just say "No, vegetarians don't eat meat. Do you need me to explain it more? It's pretty simple."

As for why you don't eat meat, it looks like you have some better responses than I could come up with.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    "You forgot I'm a vegetarian? It's been 17 years. Maybe you should see to a doctor?"

As for when they offer you meat to tease you, just say "No, vegetarians don't eat meat. Do you need me to explain it more? It's pretty simple."

As for why you don't eat meat, it looks like you have some better responses than I could come up with.

Nice
    Just wait until their in the hospital with heart problems from high cholesterol and spend a few hours in the room with them, reminding them of all that ham they ate through the years and how funy it is that you're outliving them.

"Here would you like some celery, ohh that's right your on a feeding tube now. You can't chew anything. Oh how about some letuce, that can go through a feeding tube right?"
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We don't eat meat either. At family gatherings, some people make comments, but not to the extent that your family does. It's more like, "Are you still vegetarian?" or "Right, you can't have this, because it has ham." It's more of an acknowledgement, rather than making fun. But, if someone crosses the line into "making fun", I just say something like, "Oh, are we on THIS again? Seriously? BORING. Can't you find something else to talk about?"

But if someone is actually interested in my reasons for not eating meat, I'll have a conversation with them about it.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You could try something cheeky like:
    "Wow, it's awesome how flexible you are. You can put your foot in your mouth WHILE your head is up your *kitten*!"
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Just keep it classic

"Your mom"