I confess- Single Peeps version

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    I've never left Florida

Sounds so fun! But... this part just completely and utterly blows my mind. Get out and experience the world, girl! It's not that hard, or expensive, to even just leave Florida!

Yay how have you never left FL?

lol I got married young and had Kids. I haven't had a vacation of any type in 8 yrs

My parents married when my mom was 18 and my dad 21, adopted me at 23 and 26, and then 3 more kids after me, yet we still went out of state on vacation every year. No, my family isn't rich by any stretch (lower middle class if I had to categorize).

I know its just one of those things that I never seemed to have time to do.. But I am doing this lol. Its gonna be amazing.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I've never left Florida

Sounds so fun! But... this part just completely and utterly blows my mind. Get out and experience the world, girl! It's not that hard, or expensive, to even just leave Florida!

Yay how have you never left FL?

lol I got married young and had Kids. I haven't had a vacation of any type in 8 yrs

My parents married when my mom was 18 and my dad 21, adopted me at 23 and 26, and then 3 more kids after me, yet we still went out of state on vacation every year. No, my family isn't rich by any stretch (lower middle class if I had to categorize).

I know its just one of those things that I never seemed to have time to do.. But I am doing this lol. Its gonna be amazing.

Sounds brilliant Jen. So glad you can go. 8 years is a long time without fun time out. Enjoy!! :drinker: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    No vacation in 8 years? Wow, that's not good. The labor laws in the US are truly amazing...
  • jenbit
    No vacation in 8 years? Wow, that's not good. The labor laws in the US are truly amazing...

Its not the labor laws.. I have vacation time but I have 2 small kids so I may take a day here or there but a lot of time my time is used when the kids are sick or for things for them.... I've just decided that I need to start doing fun things for myself
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    I confess that I love my job even more because I get 5 weeks off a year to play! :glasses:

When I was married and my kids were young our vacations were usually going to see family back "home" so I can relate to where you were coming from. You do need to treat yourself to more fun things. There is nothing wrong with that. :drinker:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Congrats on getting away. Travel is fun. Are you taking the kids? If not, I'd suggest you do. It amazes me when I run into to childhood friends who never travel. They have such a narrow and isolated view of the world.
  • jenbit
    Congrats on getting away. Travel is fun. Are you taking the kids? If not, I'd suggest you do. It amazes me when I run into to childhood friends who never travel. They have such a narrow and isolated view of the world.

Its my first vacation in 8 yrs ... Its a 4 day rock cruise. HE!L no I'm not taking the kids .. It would be to expensive . I'm splitting the cabin with 3 childless women
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member

Its not the labor laws.. I have vacation time but I have 2 small kids so I may take a day here or there but a lot of time my time is used when the kids are sick or for things for them.... I've just decided that I need to start doing fun things for myself

It is the labor laws, when in most European countries you have at least 4 weeks vacation each year by law. More as you get older. That allows you to take days off here and there to be with the kids, and also have a proper 2 week vacation each year.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member

It is the labor laws, when in most European countries you have at least 4 weeks vacation each year by law. More as you get older. That allows you to take days off here and there to be with the kids, and also have a proper 2 week vacation each year.

I get 4 weeks vacation at work also and many of the people I work with put their kids first so if they have kids that get sick they have to take one of their days off. I know people that haven't taken a vacation in a couple years because they have 2-3 kids and they never get sick at the same time. I am lucky enough not to have kids so I get plenty of vacations in a year. Long weekend in FL next weekend and a trip to Charleston, SC 2 weeks after that.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    I am lucky enough not to have kids so I get plenty of vacations in a year. Long weekend in FL next weekend and a trip to Charleston, SC 2 weeks after that.

Even if I had kids I'd find a way to travel. The thing for me, though, is that travel is my passion and my hobby. So, while people might spend money on this and that like shopping, clothes, shoes, movies, blahblahblah, I go without a lot of things in order to save enough money to travel. If/when I have kids, I will NOT allow them to have an isolated view of the world. They WILL be seeing the American countryside as well as European castles. I will also do my damndest to make sure they're raised bilingual. But, that's just my point of view, and I know quite well how strange I am to a lot of people :tongue:
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    I confess that it is really sad how long it has been since I have even looked in this group. Hello, everyone!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I confess that it is really sad how long it has been since I have even looked in this group. Hello, everyone!

I confess I got to meet this person the other day for the 1st time. :drinker: It was great even though I was a little out of it. :laugh: I look forward to meeting up again in a couple of days to hit up Seattle.
  • OperationSuperKAT

I confess I got to meet this person the other day for the 1st time. :drinker: It was great even though I was a little out of it. :laugh: I look forward to meeting up again in a couple of days to hit up Seattle.

Aww, it was so fun meeting you!! I can't wait to see Seattle with someone who knows the city!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member

Aww, it was so fun meeting you!! I can't wait to see Seattle with someone who knows the city!

How fun for you guys! :drinker:
  • MissingMinnesota
    Going to FL for some spring training games this weekend and the Twins spring training stadium has a double chocolate stout beer shake that I really think I will need to have even though I don't like beer. They also have a Guinness Caramel beer shake.
  • AnnaPixie
    Going to FL for some spring training games this weekend and the Twins spring training stadium has a double chocolate stout beer shake that I really think I will need to have even though I don't like beer. They also have a Guinness Caramel beer shake.

Wow! Not sure if that would be too sickly to drink, but let us know what you think
  • AnnaPixie

Awww that's lovely. Seems ages since there's been a peep meet!! :bigsmile:
  • OperationSuperKAT

Awww that's lovely. Seems ages since there's been a peep meet!! :bigsmile:

I know!! Someday I will get over to the UK!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    I confess it's entirely possible that by June I will have met 5 different MFP friends... in 5 different countries. Hahaha!

PS this will be all within one year, too!
  • MissingMinnesota
    I confess it's entirely possible that by June I will have met 5 different MFP friends... in 5 different countries. Hahaha!

PS this will be all within one year, too!

That is awesome!