I confess- Single Peeps version

Options

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when one of my co-workers talks about how she's started losing weight. Why does this bother me? Well, she's started a new "diet", which is a doctor-supervised 800 cal a day diet. The problem is, her starting size can't be much bigger than a size FOUR. I'd kill to have her body, but she's "too fat". What doctor in his right mind would have someone that size on that restrictive a diet??????

I dont believe any Dr would!! I would check your friend's sanity!! lol
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when one of my co-workers talks about how she's started losing weight. Why does this bother me? Well, she's started a new "diet", which is a doctor-supervised 800 cal a day diet. The problem is, her starting size can't be much bigger than a size FOUR. I'd kill to have her body, but she's "too fat". What doctor in his right mind would have someone that size on that restrictive a diet??????

No real Dr would but maybe she is going to a HGC "doctor".
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I confess that I am beyond thrilled right now!! I just won first prize in the creative performances portion of my school's Graduate Symposium, which is a competition open to all grad students!! I even won some money! Yay!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I confess that I am beyond thrilled right now!! I just won first prize in the creative performances portion of my school's Graduate Symposium, which is a competition open to all grad students!! I even won some money! Yay!

That's awesome news!! Congrats! :drinker:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

No real Dr would but maybe she is going to a HGC "doctor".

Yeah I have no idea. I already feel like an elephant compared to everyone, so her doing this and bragging about it makes me want to cry :( I went off on her after she left the room the other day to my other co-workers. They looked at me like I had lost it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

Wooohooo!! :drinker:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

Wooohooo!! :drinker:

*happy dance* you get it girl :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • OperationSuperKAT
    Options
    Thanks, ladies!!! It was very exciting :happy: :drinker:
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

You have every reason to be thrilled, that is amazing news! Congrats.
  • Sweetestthing87
    Options
    I confess that I had to give up an old friend yesterday (ex FWB).
    We have been friends since 2007. We haven't been fwb since 2010, my choice.

Sometimes you just have to walk away from something/someone who just isn't good for you anymore, even as JUST A FRIEND.

I am feeling down about it but I know it is for the best. :ohwell:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Congrats Kate :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

Sometimes you just have to walk away from something/someone who just isn't good for you anymore, even as JUST A FRIEND.

sometimes we have to remember that friendships just like romatic relationships are not supposed to last a life time.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    I was told on Monday that a lot of my students are complaining about my classes and that they don't like me. I didn't believe them, so I made anonymous feedback forms for my students.
    The past three days I've had somewhere around 30 students in my classes. I've had about 3 negative comments, and even they were just "sometimes you talk too fast" or "I'd like to have more grammar practice". The overwhelming majority were things like, "we love you!" "you're an awesome teacher", "we can talk to Rachel about anything because she really understands our problems" (awwww <3 ) and, my favorite, "Rachel's classes are the best I've ever had at this school" (by my most serious student, even).
    WTF director? Are you just pulling this **** out of your *kitten*??? I still have half my students left, so we'll see, but seriously...??? These comments were after telling them to tell me what I can do better - I was NOT asking for compliments, I was asking for honesty. The forms even say, "what do you NOT like about my lessons?" and "what DO you like about my lessons?"

:ohwell:
  • ronnieboling
    Options
    I confess that I spend entirely too much time playing computer games....in the nude!

The perks of living alone. Thankfully, my dog keeps her opinions to herself.
  • Sweetestthing87
    Options

sometimes we have to remember that friendships just like romatic relationships are not supposed to last a life time.

Yes you are right about that. :)
    I confess that I spend entirely too much time playing computer games....in the nude!

The perks of living alone. Thankfully, my dog keeps her opinions to herself.

HA HA, I love when my teens are gone for the weekend, clothing optional rules!

BREGALAD5: That sounds nuts and sometimes that is how management motivates?!?!

I was once told in a review (a few years back) that I was the lowest producer at work, yet I got a great review and a nice raise so there was a lot of confusion. Thankfully, I was an assistant back in my day and I knew how to run reports to verify this statement. I was nowhere near the lowest. Perhaps they wanted me to think that so they could squeeze even more productivity out me? Who knows? I have since been promoted and continue to get good raises and reviews. *SHRUGS*
  • bregalad5
    Options

I was once told in a review (a few years back) that I was the lowest producer at work, yet I got a great review and a nice raise so there was a lot of confusion. Thankfully, I was an assistant back in my day and I knew how to run reports to verify this statement. I was nowhere near the lowest. Perhaps they wanted me to think that so they could squeeze even more productivity out me? Who knows? I have since been promoted and continue to get good raises and reviews. *SHRUGS*

Maybe, but if so, why aren't they doing this to others? Ah well, I have my feedback forms, and once I get them from all of my classes, I'm going to give them to my DoS (Director of Studies) and tell her, "so, what were you saying about my students complaining about me? Hmm? Don't mess with someone who enjoys proving people wrong."
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I confess we had a lot of prospective students at the zoo yesterday for the AIM (applicant information meeting) and a few of them asked about time to do stuff like exercise and prepare meals. I shared my experience about how I am literally at the zoo every single day, go home to study and do stuff with my dog, then go to work. But then another student said she makes sure to make time for herself and take care of herself.

It got me thinking. My health has fallen by the wayside because of immediate necessities. I don't have time for food because I don't prioritize it... But could I? I'm going to be doing some evaluations in the next week to see what kind of changes I can make, so maybe I can better accommodate my long term needs.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    Options
    I confess we had a lot of prospective students at the zoo yesterday for the AIM (applicant information meeting) and a few of them asked about time to do stuff like exercise and prepare meals. I shared my experience about how I am literally at the zoo every single day, go home to study and do stuff with my dog, then go to work. But then another student said she makes sure to make time for herself and take care of herself.

It got me thinking. My health has fallen by the wayside because of immediate necessities. I don't have time for food because I don't prioritize it... But could I? I'm going to be doing some evaluations in the next week to see what kind of changes I can make, so maybe I can better accommodate my long term needs.

This is something I have been thinking about too. Life is just absolutely nuts with everything I have to do, and it just never seems to end. Most of the time, I skip meals or eat something fast like yogurt just to get some energy so I can keep singing, but I'm definitely not getting enough calories during the day. And forget about exercise these past few weeks. My friend tried to give me a back rub today and I was so tense that it hurt just to have her touch me, let alone massage anything. She suggested (very kindly) that I make it a priority to take one hour this week and go back to my beloved yoga studio. My first reaction was, "how the eff do I have time for that??" Then I thought about it, and realized if I want to keep my health and sanity intact, I really do need to carve out my own time to take care of myself. I want to lose 30 more pounds. I could do it by starving myself, but I would feel like *kitten*, and it certainly wouldn't be sustainable and I could very possibly lose my voice. Or I could do it by eating enough healthy foods and taking time out to do the exercises I genuinely love.

Anyway, all that to say, I agree with you completely!!! We need to take care of ourselves. Yes, we're young and strong, but that's not going to last forever. Best to take care of ourselves now so we can sustain an active, busy, fulfilling lifestyle for as long as possible :)))
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

Maybe, but if so, why aren't they doing this to others? Ah well, I have my feedback forms, and once I get them from all of my classes, I'm going to give them to my DoS (Director of Studies) and tell her, "so, what were you saying about my students complaining about me? Hmm? Don't mess with someone who enjoys proving people wrong."

I think this is a bad idea that will do absolutely nothing but confirm that you are a problem and do not take feedback well. I work in program evaluation and read surveys for design methodology on a regular basis. Based on your description of your methodology, I can almost certainly say your results are biased. I'll discuss the biases in a minute. More problematic is that if you go to the DoS with these results, you show that you do not believe her to be credible and that you are somewhat vindictive by shoving your disbelief in his/her face. If you are going to do that at least be sure that your results are credible themselves.

There are more than two sources of bias but the there are two major ones. First, you provided the survey to students. It was not provided by an independent third party. You collected the surveys and reviewed them as well. Students are not stupid. They realize fully well that you are going to be the one who reads the raw information. You'll be able to tell who they are. You even said you knew which response came from your best student. How do you expect feedback to be honest?

Your second problem is probably more in the design of the questions? Your description seems to be leading responses. What is wrong with the class? seems to be the theme. (e.g "What DON'T you like about the lessons?" etc.) Better questions would have been more open ended like "What topics in the class did you like or dislike?" "List any topics that could have been explained better?" "Do you believe the grades fairly reflect your understanding of the class material?" "Is the amount of material assigned reasonable" "Please provide any more comments that you feel reflect on either the course material or the instructors ability to organize and present the material."
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

There are more than two sources of bias but the there are two major ones. First, you provided the survey to students. It was not provided by an independent third party. You collected the surveys and reviewed them as well. Students are not stupid. They realize fully well that you are going to be the one who reads the raw information. You'll be able to tell who they are. You even said you knew which response came from your best student. How do you expect feedback to be honest?

I couldn't agree more with this paragraph. As a student that had to fill out many of these instructor assessments, there was a reason they weren't given out to us until after grades were locked in the system at the end of the term. As well as a reason the professor only received a summary, and not the individual reports.

If we were required to give feedback mid-term, I can guarantee I wouldn't have been nearly as honest/critical as I was at the end, ESPECIALLY if I knew the professor was going to know who wrote what (not total anonymity). Most of us all used Ratemyprofessor.com as a good rating system during the year when we have a good/bad professor. I used it for almost all of my classes and usually tried to select my professors off of these reviews.