I confess- Single Peeps version

Replies

• Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member

BREGALAD5: That sounds nuts and sometimes that is how management motivates?!?!

I was once told in a review (a few years back) that I was the lowest producer at work, yet I got a great review and a nice raise so there was a lot of confusion. Thankfully, I was an assistant back in my day and I knew how to run reports to verify this statement. I was nowhere near the lowest. Perhaps they wanted me to think that so they could squeeze even more productivity out me? Who knows? I have since been promoted and continue to get good raises and reviews. *SHRUGS*

Maybe, but if so, why aren't they doing this to others? Ah well, I have my feedback forms, and once I get them from all of my classes, I'm going to give them to my DoS (Director of Studies) and tell her, "so, what were you saying about my students complaining about me? Hmm? Don't mess with someone who enjoys proving people wrong."

There are more than two sources of bias but the there are two major ones. First, you provided the survey to students. It was not provided by an independent third party. You collected the surveys and reviewed them as well. Students are not stupid. They realize fully well that you are going to be the one who reads the raw information. You'll be able to tell who they are. You even said you knew which response came from your best student. How do you expect feedback to be honest?

I couldn't agree more with this paragraph. As a student that had to fill out many of these instructor assessments, there was a reason they weren't given out to us until after grades were locked in the system at the end of the term. As well as a reason the professor only received a summary, and not the individual reports.

If we were required to give feedback mid-term, I can guarantee I wouldn't have been nearly as honest/critical as I was at the end, ESPECIALLY if I knew the professor was going to know who wrote what (not total anonymity). Most of us all used Ratemyprofessor.com as a good rating system during the year when we have a good/bad professor. I used it for almost all of my classes and usually tried to select my professors off of these reviews.

I also agree with that last paragraph. Sometimes you just have to step up your game and let that speak for itself. It couldn't hurt either way.

As I stated earlier, I looked up my progress and I was nowhere near being a low producer, but that doesn't mean I put that report in front of my superiors and rubbed it in their face.

I saw it as a motivational tool and I now push myself a little harder and smirk at the idea that they think it is only because I think they see me as not top notch performer.

We all know better! :) Choose your battles wisely.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member

BREGALAD5: That sounds nuts and sometimes that is how management motivates?!?!

I was once told in a review (a few years back) that I was the lowest producer at work, yet I got a great review and a nice raise so there was a lot of confusion. Thankfully, I was an assistant back in my day and I knew how to run reports to verify this statement. I was nowhere near the lowest. Perhaps they wanted me to think that so they could squeeze even more productivity out me? Who knows? I have since been promoted and continue to get good raises and reviews. *SHRUGS*

Maybe, but if so, why aren't they doing this to others? Ah well, I have my feedback forms, and once I get them from all of my classes, I'm going to give them to my DoS (Director of Studies) and tell her, "so, what were you saying about my students complaining about me? Hmm? Don't mess with someone who enjoys proving people wrong."

There are more than two sources of bias but the there are two major ones. First, you provided the survey to students. It was not provided by an independent third party. You collected the surveys and reviewed them as well. Students are not stupid. They realize fully well that you are going to be the one who reads the raw information. You'll be able to tell who they are. You even said you knew which response came from your best student. How do you expect feedback to be honest?

I couldn't agree more with this paragraph. As a student that had to fill out many of these instructor assessments, there was a reason they weren't given out to us until after grades were locked in the system at the end of the term. As well as a reason the professor only received a summary, and not the individual reports.

If we were required to give feedback mid-term, I can guarantee I wouldn't have been nearly as honest/critical as I was at the end, ESPECIALLY if I knew the professor was going to know who wrote what (not total anonymity). Most of us all used Ratemyprofessor.com as a good rating system during the year when we have a good/bad professor. I used it for almost all of my classes and usually tried to select my professors off of these reviews.

I also agree with that last paragraph. Sometimes you just have to step up your game and let that speak for itself. It couldn't hurt either way.

As I stated earlier, I looked up my progress and I was nowhere near being a low producer, but that doesn't mean I put that report in front of my superiors and rubbed it in their face.

I saw it as a motivational tool and I now push myself a little harder and smirk at the idea that they think it is only because I think they see me as not top notch performer.

We all know better! :) Choose your battles wisely.

I know the handwriting for one of my classes, which is how I knew it was that student. I have no "independent third party" to administer anything, and am completely on my own here. I did what I could, and did the best I could. I told my students to be as honest as possible, and to not worry about hurting my feelings. There was negative in there, but it was overwhelmingly positive. As a student, I was always 100% honest with my feedback. How can a teacher expect to improve upon weak points if I'm not? And, as a teacher, I can not and will not ever hold negative feedback against my student. I have had students give me negative feedback to my face, but I have still given them their honest grades. I hold honesty and integrity in high regard.

As for using it as motivation, it's the most DEmotivating thing. Usually I do that, but the way they keep piling it on is making it impossible. I'm basically being told that no matter what any of us do, people are going to complain and since my school is a for-profit business, people complaining = us in trouble. It makes no sense. They told me today, "we have to please everyone" ... which is, well, impossible.

Anyway, thanks for adding to the *kitten* I've been getting at work about this mess. Sorry I ever brought it up.
  • Sweetestthing87
    "Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one.
    -Hans Selye

"If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."
    ~Mary Engelbreit

"Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson

A few quotes I like to read when I feel like things are crumbling.

On another note: I confess that I have been listenting to ONE HIT WONDERS radio on iTunes radio at work and gosh, there are a lot of good ONE HIT WONDERS!

Last song: Jennifer Paige: CRUSH (yeah, I purchased it) :blushing:
  • bregalad5
    When your boss gives you negative feedback daily, while your students are giving you positive, then proceeds to tell you that your students are probably just too afraid to tell you negative things, it's really, really tough to be positive. I, however, disagree with her and think my students telling me daily how much they love me and want me to stay next year is clearly them actually liking me...

I've changed my situation by getting a new job for next year in a new city. I still have to put up with this place for another two months, though.
  • Sweetestthing87
    When your boss gives you negative feedback daily, while your students are giving you positive, then proceeds to tell you that your students are probably just too afraid to tell you negative things, it's really, really tough to be positive. I, however, disagree with her and think my students telling me daily how much they love me and want me to stay next year is clearly them actually liking me...

I've changed my situation by getting a new job for next year in a new city. I still have to put up with this place for another two months, though.

Well hang in there and make the best of it. I wish you well. {HUGS}

Congrats on the new job next year, maybe things will be better for you over there. :flowerforyou:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member

If you're boss isn't giving you suggestions on how to improve, you may point out that her criticisms aren't very helpful or constructive. Ask her to be specific about the complaints and for recommendations to correct the complaints. If she is vague in her responses, hold her accountable and do not let her off the hook.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member

Sounds like a personality issue (perhaps even cultural?) between your and your boss. Probably best to focus on your students and just get through the next two months. In the big picture, that's a very short amount of time, even though in the moment it may feel long and frustrating.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    I confess that i'm unusually excited about my weekends plan. FWB invited me to go with him to a Suicide Girls burlesque show near his place, which means end of evening and night at his place having a lot of fun. I'm planning on making him go crazy by dressing sexy for the event and he will only see it at the event, not before ;)
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    I confess this is my new theme song hahaha. Ok, so maybe my friend just starts singing it to me every time I start to get too hung up on how busy/annoying/awful everything feels right now because I haven't gotten more than 5 hours a sleep a night in the past month and my professor really is being an a-hole. Regardless, it at least makes me laugh, which helps get my mind off of the negative things and helps me get focused again on what is important: namely, my own work and voice, not what everybody else is doing. It will get better, promise :heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    I confess that i'm unusually excited about my weekends plan. FWB invited me to go with him to a Suicide Girls burlesque show near his place, which means end of evening and night at his place having a lot of fun. I'm planning on making him go crazy by dressing sexy for the event and he will only see it at the event, not before ;)

Those Suicide Girls...:bigsmile: :blushing:
  • bregalad5

If you're boss isn't giving you suggestions on how to improve, you may point out that her criticisms aren't very helpful or constructive. Ask her to be specific about the complaints and for recommendations to correct the complaints. If she is vague in her responses, hold her accountable and do not let her off the hook.

I've mentioned that many times but still nothing. When she gives direct feedback on classes or whatever she observes, she gives me suggestions, but she can't tell me anything about these supposed "complaints".
    Sounds like a personality issue (perhaps even cultural?) between your and your boss. Probably best to focus on your students and just get through the next two months. In the big picture, that's a very short amount of time, even though in the moment it may feel long and frustrating.

Nah, the Russian teachers who work at my school have the same problem, so it's not cultural. It could be personal, but she said she likes me so maybe we just don't work well together. The strange thing is, for the first six months we got along well and everything was great... That's why I'm so confused. Nothing on my end has changed...
  • dbrightwell1270
    I confess that I am doubly glad to leave for vacation this afternoon. Being away from work and seeing and experiencing new things is always a good thing. This time it is even better because my boss is retiring a few days after I return. Somehow he has coaxed all the ladies in the accounting division to alternate baking cookies, brownies, pies, and who-knows-what-else-is. My discipline is not great enough at this time to withstand the constant barrage of temptations. If I was here next week, there is a good chance I'd need to buy new (larger) clothes before he retires in 12 days.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    So I confess today is my baby boys 8th birthday .... He doesn't know he is having a surprise party this weekend :bigsmile: and then next Wednesday (payday) Mommy is getting off work early to take him and his sister to dinner and Captain America
  • dbrightwell1270
    I confess that I don't think I belong in this group any more. On Thursday, I upgraded from having a girlfriend to having a fiancee. I think I'll still stick around to look at the monthly funnies though.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I confess that I don't think I belong in this group any more. On Thursday, I upgraded from having a girlfriend to having a fiancee. I think I'll still stick around to look at the monthly funnies though.
    Awesome news congrats!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member

Wow, congrats! :drinker:
  • bregalad5
    I'm really upset. My roommate's boyfriend sent her a message and I saw a piece of their conversation. She was saying I need to get laid because I'm jealous (so not true - i actually just really, really don't like her boyfriend) and her boyfriend said that they couldn't even pay a killer whale to *kitten* me because I'm so ugly and disgusting.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Well done pal!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    I'm really upset. My roommate's boyfriend sent her a message and I saw a piece of their conversation. She was saying I need to get laid because I'm jealous (so not true - i actually just really, really don't like her boyfriend) and her boyfriend said that they couldn't even pay a killer whale to *kitten* me because I'm so ugly and disgusting.
    Can't quite put my finger on why you would hate him. He seems to be such a nice person.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member

Congratulations!!! So excited for you!!