Healthy or Not? Nature Valley Protein Bars

Options
13»

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big granola bar fan...not because of nutrition, just don't like the taste too much. But if I really need something easy on the run I'll buy a Cliff Bar or a Larabar...these taste better to me than Nature Valley or Quaker bars.
  • a lot of fat for a snack bar. Make your own.

DON'T FEAR THE FAT.
    Fat is healthy and doesn't make you fat. It's because these bars have nuts in them
  • These are SO good. Obviously not the BEST choice for a protein bar BUT of course It's alright to eat them in moderation. Also, If you like them, Eat them. (:
  • Unodragone
    Options
    Granola bars are definitley my go to snack in between meals and especially when taking a looonnggg night course. I am quite skeptical on protein bars and suggest going by the ingredients. If you can't pronounce an ingredient and if there is more than one form of syrup I'd say move on and find a healthier bar that is more natural. I really enjoy the Kind bars (even if they are usually 140 calories) and although Nature Valley has canola oil and brown sugar syrup (oats n honey) the calories are low and I feel it quinches my never satisfied tummy with some energy to spare :happy:
  • Emily92988
    Options
    These are a great choice. 10 grams of protein is a healthy amount for a snack. You never want to eat more than 20 grams in an hour because your body can't absorb it. You will end up just eating extra calories for nothing. The Net carbs on these bars are good as well. While there are 14 grams of carbs, there is 5 grams of fiber which makes the Net Carb intake only 9. Anytime the protein is more than the carbs you have a winner! Hope this helps & Best of Luck. I am down 60 pounds by following this way of eating.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    So, I'm starting dieting. I'm trying to pick healthy snacks. I mean, compared to McDonalds fries its gotta be a better choice right. I'm not a body builder or super health buff, just trying to shed pounds.

So, is this a good snack or a candy bar in disguize. They try and be so tricky these days with marketing.

Calories 190
    from fat 110
    Fat 12g
    Sat Fat 3.5g
    Sodium 170g
    FIBER 5g
    PROTEIN 10g

Try making these:

Ingredients

I jar unsweetened Apple Sauce (approx 1 1/2 cups)
    2 bananas, mashed
    1/2 Cup Splenda Brand Brown Sugar Blend
    2 Eggs
    3 Tsps Vanilla Extract
    1/4 cup light margarine or butter (optional)

1 1/2 Cups Flour
    1 Tbsp Cinnamon
    3 tsps Nutmeg
    1 tsp Baking Soda
    2 1/2 Cup Oatmeal (instant worked fine)
    1/4 Cup Wheat Germ
    1/2 Cup Protein Powder (chocolate or vanilla, or desired flavor)
    1 Tbsp Cocoa
    1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (optional)

Directions

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately. Mix together. Spoon onto greased (light Pam) cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
    SUGAR 6 g.
  • dyingbr33d
    Options
    DANGER FOR MALES!!! I do not recommend this product for males. I recently learned Of the seriously dangerous compound known commonly as "soy" which if you check the ingredient list is number two. Women do not let men unknowingly consume this compound as it is incredibly estrogenic. Men do not purchase this as a protein supplement and or snack avoid soy at all costs.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Try Zone Perfect bars. Much better nutritional stats.

I like these and the Market Pantry (Target's store brand) Nutrition Bars. They'll cost twice as much, but have a lot more nutritional value. Look for these in the nutrition bars area where the protein drinks and power bars are sold.

I'm surprised they have 10g of protein. Most of the bars I see advertised as protein bars in the regular "granola bar" section have 5g or fewer.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Try Zone Perfect bars. Much better nutritional stats.

I like these and the Market Pantry (Target's store brand) Nutrition Bars. They'll cost twice as much, but have a lot more nutritional value. Look for these in the nutrition bars area where the protein drinks and power bars are sold.

I'm surprised they have 10g of protein. Most of the bars I see advertised as protein bars in the regular "granola bar" section have 5g or fewer.

It's an old thread, it must have changed since. But yeah, I always laugh at those so called 'protein bars'.
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am eating one of Nature V.Protein bars as I type..........they are good..........as for healthy,,I can pronounce most of the words in the ingredient section, so Im good to go,lol. As much as I exercise, cardio stuff, some lite insanity version of my own and being 68 years old with virtually 99% good health, am not fluffy, can still jog if I want to, and do the Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk plus walking around the lake here, Im ok..............................now where is my cell phone, teeth, and vitamins.