Women 5'4 - 5'6 PLEASE READ

Replies

• Height -5'4
    Starting weight -190
    Current weight -186
    Goal Weight -145
    Age - 21
    How many calories you eat a day - 1290 (about that many, i don't eat back exercise calories unless I'm hungry)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Height -5'3
    Starting weight -330 ( was 265, in severe car crash, had to relearn how to walk and just getting back in it )
    Current weight -303
    Goal Weight -125
    Age - 26
    How many calories you eat a day?- 1650 highest allowed, I normally eat 1300 or go higher if I workout 3 times a day :)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Height? 5'6"
    Starting weight? 375
    Current weight? 268
    Goal Weight? 145
    Age? 36
    How many calories you eat a day? Planned is 1450, but I always seem to end up at less than 1200.

YOU GO GIRL!! EVERYONE ELSE AS WELL :D
  • Height? 5'5"
    Starting weight? 155
    Highest weight? 160
    Current weight? 140
    Goal Weight? 127
    Age? 24
    How many calories you eat a day? ~1200 +/- 100
  • nanimoose
    nanimoose Posts: 60 Member
    Height? 5'4
    Starting weight? 122
    Current weight? 107.5
    Goal Weight? I'm trying to gain muscle and lose fat, 15-20% BF. Undetermined.
    Age? 18
    How many calories you eat a day? It varies widely, I average about 8000 a week.

Before I get hassled, I'm 'banana shaped', small boned, and have a lean body mass of something like 83 lbs (23% body fat).
  • pagoubupa
    pagoubupa Posts: 105 Member
    Height? 5'5
    Starting weight? 356
    Current weight? 289
    Goal Weight? 156
    Age? 36
    How many calories a day? Under 1700
  • themcvays
    themcvays Posts: 1 Member
    Height? 5'6
    Starting weight? 180
    Current weight? 176
    Goal Weight? 135
    Age? 40
    How many calories you eat a day? 1200
  • c_psalm27
    c_psalm27 Posts: 3 Member
    Height: 5'6"
    Starting Weight: 167lb
    Current Weight: 133lb
    Goal Weight: 135lb
    Calories: 1,100 (I eat my exercise calories now that I have reached my goal weight)
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Height? 5'5" and 1/2
    Starting weight? 130
    Current weight? 118
    Goal Weight? 110
    Age? 37
    How many calories you eat a day? I try to stay between 1300-1600. I'm in the "active" category.

For those criticizing the foiks who replied to this post, please don't cast stones. What you may perceive as being underweight on your frame might be seen as normal on another's. We are all on MFP to lose or maintain our goal weight in a healthy manner. If not we'd be popping pills, bingeing and purging instead of posting here. Yes, there might be some who have unrealistic goals but let's try to support each other instead of turning our noses up.

I got my GW from Dr. Joel Fuhrman's, Eat to Live book. It's not so unrealistic. The "healthy" weight is a range in itself.
  • Sh5073a
    Sh5073a Posts: 21 Member
    So I'm new to MFP and found this thread. I'm 5.6, started at 210 lbs. a couple of weeks ago. I am still trying to figure out how many calories I need to be eating and I'm confused. I have read that if I don't eat enough I can slow down my metabolism to the point where I won't be able to loose weight, but obviously I have to cut down on my calories to loose the extra lbs.

I originally started with 1200 cals and about 4 days of exercises. But kept feeling so hungry in the beginning that I modified my goals and MFP calculated my cals to 1560 instead. However, on this thread many of you with a similar size are on 1200 cals and mention not eating back your cals from exercising.

Can people clarify or share a little more please? Thanks!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    I find it disturbing to see so many young people think that 110 lbs is an ideal weight. That scares me.

Yes, very disturbing indeed. This thread is just plain scary.

It sounds scary to me too, until I remember that my 5'4" daughter graduated HS at 106. She was very healthy and ate normally, she was just naturally thin at that age. When the young girls get to college they will put on their Freshman 15 and be a more 'normal' size. Some girls are just naturally that thin. What is bad is when girls that aren't naturally that thin, starve themselves or purge to get there. Health is more important than a number on the scale. Find a healthy weight for your frame and be happy with yourself.

ETA There are also girls/women older than teenage, that 110 is a healthy weight for them. There are apple and pear body shapes, and also a banana shape, which is a small slender frame that is naturally thin.

Yes this^ people come in all different shapes and sizes. Isn't this an 18+ site, so aren't we all adults here? I'm not trying to encourage anyone to eat below 1200 (net) but some people have mentioned they are doing this under their doctor's supervision---that seems responsible to me. We can't possibly know where everyone is coming from. There may be some people who are on the younger side, or inexperienced regarding diet, or just plain new here, and/or yes there are even folks who actually do have (or are recovering from) EDs but I don't think that is the majority. We are all here because we are dealing with our weight. I sort of trust that most adults can figure things out without me meddling (unless of course they ask). I see people here my height with GW I personally would find very high, but I trust they know their body best. We don't get this same kind of outrage on the threads where people might be considered dangerously overweight so why here? GW is just that, it is not set in stone it is something to work towards. And weight is deceiving, 112 and pure muscle is different than 112 no/little muscle. The way I see it is if someone asks it is fine to give advice otherwise what is the point of trying to control others/lecturing? If you are genuinely concerned with someone be a friend and send them a PM.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    So I'm new to MFP and found this thread. I'm 5.6, started at 210 lbs. a couple of weeks ago. I am still trying to figure out how many calories I need to be eating and I'm confused. I have read that if I don't eat enough I can slow down my metabolism to the point where I won't be able to loose weight, but obviously I have to cut down on my calories to loose the extra lbs.

I originally started with 1200 cals and about 4 days of exercises. But kept feeling so hungry in the beginning that I modified my goals and MFP calculated my cals to 1560 instead. However, on this thread many of you with a similar size are on 1200 cals and mention not eating back your cals from exercising.

Can people clarify or share a little more please? Thanks!

As stated earlier, I hardly ever eat below 1800 and am mostly sedentary.
    These may help you understand better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • runnerkristin
    runnerkristin Posts: 2 Member
    Height: 5'4"
    Starting weight: 160
    Current weight: 130
    Goal Weight: 120 - Although frankly I'd be happy to stay anywhere between 120 - 130 so long as I lose more fat (28%) and gain more muscle!
    How many calories you eat a day: Base 1450 + usually about half of my exercise cals
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Height:5'6
    SW: 178
    CW: 170
    GW:140 (maybe more depending on what I look like at 140! (: )
    Calories:1200

:)
  • And weight is deceiving, 112 and pure muscle is different than 112 no/little muscle.

That is true...which is why it can be better to think of things in terms of fitness rather than weight. In the US most adults are overweight - 2/3s of adults - and most are also not fit. And we've grown to adulthood forming the habits that made us gain weight. If we lose it rapidly, and also lose muscle, and then gain it back, we'll be less fit than we were before the process started. Same weight, less muscle. And the more times this is repeated, the less muscle we have. So it is better to be 5'4 and 140 lbs - which is a healthy BMI for a medium framed person - and maintain that weight eating whatever you'll eat long term, than to go down to 110 lbs, lose muscle mass, and then go up to your original weight a few years down the line.
    Even the old, traditional ideal weight calculations, dating from the first half of the last century, go like this: for the first 5 feet, 100 lbs. For every additional inch, add 5 lbs. So 110 lbs is an ideal weight for a woman who is 5'2 who has a medium frame, from the era before most Americans were overweight. This calculation would put her on the lower end of the heathly BMI scale - she would have to weigh more than 135 before a doctor would say she was overweight. If you've been yo-yo dieting for a while - and I have been there - you may need to gain muscle at your ideal weight in order to have your ideal body composition. But it's not the same as needing to lose more weight - the more you lose, the less muscle you have, the more likely you'll regain, etc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I started to write this as a reply to this thread, but didn't want to lose it all if the thread goes belly-up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/realistic-goals-and-expectations-449258

Anyone thinking they need to weigh what they weighed in high school, in college, on their wedding day, before having babies, whatever, should read it.

The number on the scale isn't the key to happiness.
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Height? 5'6"
    Starting weight? 156
    Current weight? 125 (I think, haven't weighed in for a while)
    Goal Weight? 120-125 ... i am in maintenance
    Age? 21
    How many calories you eat a day? when i was losing, 1200. now, 1400-2000.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Height 5'3"
    Starting weight 148
    Current weight 120-125, fluctuates
    I'm at my goal!
    25 years old
    1500-2500 calories/day. I average 1800-1900/day when I tally it up weekly.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Height? 5'4 3/4
    Starting weight? 185
    Current weight? 121.4
    Goal Weight? Not sure, I really just wanna lower my BF% & lose some more inches, then do a bulkin phase to build some muscle
    Age? 24
    How many calories you eat a day? Roughly 1700, depends on what my TDEE is, sometimes I eat more.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Height - 5'5"
    Starting weight - 190
    Current weight - 146
    Goal Weight - 135
    Age - 54
    How many calories you eat a day - 1590 more or less (usually less)