Options

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And allow everyone else who reads the wrong information to believe it as well? That would be misguided.

I just wish I had the magical metabolism that let me lose on 1800 while being sedentary.

Maintaining at 1200 is just as possible, and I'm going to need some *actual* sources for "it's because you've messed up your hormones". Every single body is different with different nutritional needs, and derailing the thread essentially over who isn't telling the OP to see a therapist loud enough, is obnoxious.

^^ THIS! Hah! I love you. Anecdotal BS is not going to convince me, show me studies about leptin and all that jazz. ACTUAL STUDIES, NOT SUPPOSITION OR A DOCTORS WORD THAT "IT'S WHAT HAPPENED"

Hormone A causes increase/decrease in Hormone B causes decrease in the metabolic blah blah = death. Study, or GTFO.

Suggestion: calm down. Stress is also bad for weight loss.

ETA: lol - edit too late.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    crap. I didn't mean to post, I wrote that and thought better of it after I hit reply. Threads like this make me crazy because only ONE type of person gets to say anything, and if there is someone who says anything different the bodybuilders and high metabolism people flame the rest out.

Seriously, above - it's pitchforks and torches about how we need to eat more. Eating more caused the weight. If anyone in here reading this is like me, one bite leads to another bite, leads to.. holy crap, how did I eat 2500 calories today??? Yeah, I admit I have a self control issue with some foods, I consume them. I hope that the OP and people reading can gain some sense of what their own bodies might be doing and why they are overweight. For people who can eat 2000 I applaud you all, I wish I could eat that much. I probably will when I gain muscle mass and can maintain at that level, but I honestly don't know what my maintenance calories are at this point. I don't think that 6 pages of telling the op she is a sicko is right, I think that a lot of the flames in here need to be moderated by different opinions.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

And allow everyone else who reads the wrong information to believe it as well? That would be misguided.

I just wish I had the magical metabolism that let me lose on 1800 while being sedentary.

Maintaining at 1200 is just as possible, and I'm going to need some *actual* sources for "it's because you've messed up your hormones". Every single body is different with different nutritional needs, and derailing the thread essentially over who isn't telling the OP to see a therapist loud enough, is obnoxious.

^^ THIS! Hah! I love you. Anecdotal BS is not going to convince me, show me studies about leptin and all that jazz. ACTUAL STUDIES, NOT SUPPOSITION OR A DOCTORS WORD THAT "IT'S WHAT HAPPENED"

Hormone A causes increase/decrease in Hormone B causes decrease in the metabolic blah blah = death. Study, or GTFO.

You can look up studies yourself. Key words: Leptin, Ghrelin, and Cortisol to start with.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    crap. I didn't mean to post, I wrote that and thought better of it after I hit reply. Threads like this make me crazy because only ONE type of person gets to say anything, and if there is someone who says anything different the bodybuilders and high metabolism people flame the rest out.

Seriously, above - it's pitchforks and torches about how we need to eat more. Eating more caused the weight. If anyone in here reading this is like me, one bite leads to another bite, leads to.. holy crap, how did I eat 2500 calories today??? Yeah, I admit I have a self control issue with some foods, I consume them. I hope that the OP and people reading can gain some sense of what their own bodies might be doing and why they are overweight. For people who can eat 2000 I applaud you all, I wish I could eat that much. I probably will when I gain muscle mass and can maintain at that level, but I honestly don't know what my maintenance calories are at this point. I don't think that 6 pages of telling the op she is a sicko is right, I think that a lot of the flames in here need to be moderated by different opinions.

Who on earth has called her a 'sicko'? Please tell?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow I'm on 1200 calories, It's wrong of me to bash something I've never experienced, so I'll do it. It will only be one week before I'm off to Manhattan and Disney for Christmas shopping but if needed I'll get back on it. Labcorp tomorrow and we''ll get those #s. It will not be easy as I eat double that, but until I've done it myself I don't feel right giving out advice, even anecdotal. :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Not sure what's going on above me but our bodies are different in processing hormones, for example my cortisol peaks were not not at the expected times, my growth hormone did not rise and lower after meals as expected. Why would it? I'm not you. Any of you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...For people who can eat 2000 I applaud you all, I wish I could eat that much. I probably will when I gain muscle mass and can maintain at that level, but I honestly don't know what my maintenance calories are at this point...
    Unless you're about 4'6" and 90 pounds with zero muscle mass (and intending to stay that way), you probably should be eating around 2000 calories/day. In your profile you say you want to look good when the shirt comes off and be able to pick up heavy things. As a 27-year old male (I'm assuming you're at least somewhere around average size), eating 1000 calories per day is going to do nothing to help you toward either of those goals.

If you want to get a rough idea of what your daily intake should be, take a look at Helloitsdan's first post in this thread and do the calculations:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It might not be exact since weight loss in itself is an inexact science, but it will at least get you in the ballpark. Hint: I'll 100% guarantee you the calculations will tell you to eat more than 1000 calories a day.

[EDIT:] Reading back further in the thread, I see Dan has already run your numbers for you. With a TDEE of 2600-2850, a 20% cut (which will still allow weight loss and spare a lot more lean body mass than your current intake) would put your daily intake at around 2080-2280.....over twice what you're currently eating.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Seriously, though, how do you get overweight if you cannot possibly eat ALL THAT FOOD to get to 1300 calories.
    [/quote]

Exactly!
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    My uncles are overweight due to overeating, and lack of excersise in the case of 2 of them. the 3rd works out like crazy but doesn't restrict calories, and still has santa belly. I'll invite you for christmas so you can interview us. My mom isn't overweight, nor is my sister or most of my female cousins, and they ALL eat like BIRDS. But they look healthy, all 6 cousins and most of my aunts.

And I was trying to help the op understand why she is full when only eating 1000 calories. When we log, a lot of times its easy for us to underestimate calories, or overestimate them if we are wanting to lean one way or another.

All of you people who think that there is only one way to Jesus seriously need to stop being so closed minded. I wish I had logged before I started cutting, to see how I got to 210 pounds, but it wasn't by eating all day, it was by overeating at the 2 or 3 meals I did eat. And I didn't overeat by much, I weighed 170 after a tonsillectomy in 2010, the lowest I had been since high school, I couldn't eat anything solid for weeks because of the pain, even with liquid vicodin. It took me two years to get to 210 lbs. I've always looked heftier or husky as my mom calls it.

So all of you, stop peacocking and realize that some of us just eat less. Maintenance for me is probably 1600 to 1800 calories.

please start your own thread. OP has gotten lost in the fascinating discussion of your family members.

Ohhhhh, but those family members are the best place to start. Genetic inheritance often leads to the same way food, drink and medicines are processed.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Seriously what kind of food are people eating that they can't get to 1200 calories? Are you like, eating a tomato and calling it a day? An apple alone has about 130, put some food in your mouth! Peanut Butter, nuts, meat, they're all calorific.

I'm way late, but this x100
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Are we still *****in' this thread looks pretty worn?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

please start your own thread. OP has gotten lost in the fascinating discussion of your family members.

I said A, and so many people were flaming at me telling me that I had no idea what I was talking about. I do know, I have experience with this, and I was replying to mister buff up there about how my maintenance is like, wicked crazy. I refuse to let you all run over me simply because I don't eat an amount of calories that would make me gain. We are all different and all have different needs and metabolic processes,

My point, which was parenthetical at best, was that if she's full, then she shouldn't load up on fried crap to hit 1200 calories, she should eat healthy.

You can't defeat me simply by shouting in large numbers. If the op were underweight I would not be saying this, but she is not underweight, she is in the upper range for her height class. God help it if a model walked in here. You'd all accuse her of being a walking dead by her calorie counts.

Don't tell me to shut up. On a fitness site particularly, but as a helpful hint in the world, don't minimize people by refering to their body type (Mr. Buff up there") as body hate is ugly on anyone.

You encouraged a woman who disclosed a disorder to continue to undereat and then you keep making the thread about yourself. Just now you inaccurately referred to her as being in the upper range of weight, which is sure to help the body dismorphia, you tool. Until now, no one has been flaming you. They've been disagreeing, which, as there is more than one way to Jesus, you should be able to withstand a little better.
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    Seriously what kind of food are people eating that they can't get to 1200 calories? Are you like, eating a tomato and calling it a day? An apple alone has about 130, put some food in your mouth! Peanut Butter, nuts, meat, they're all calorific.

I'm way late, but this x100

I usually just reach 1200 cals per day (usually a bit under) and that includes 4-5 meals per day, eaten about 2.5-3hrs apart. If you're eating quite cleanly, the calories are low. That being said, I'm full all day and have to make myself eat again sometimes. Everyone is different... I worry about those who only eat 2-3 items per day that are HIGH calories, then don't eat again that day in fear of going over.. that is verging an ED.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    My uncles are overweight due to overeating, and lack of excersise in the case of 2 of them. the 3rd works out like crazy but doesn't restrict calories, and still has santa belly. I'll invite you for christmas so you can interview us. My mom isn't overweight, nor is my sister or most of my female cousins, and they ALL eat like BIRDS. But they look healthy, all 6 cousins and most of my aunts.

And I was trying to help the op understand why she is full when only eating 1000 calories. When we log, a lot of times its easy for us to underestimate calories, or overestimate them if we are wanting to lean one way or another.

All of you people who think that there is only one way to Jesus seriously need to stop being so closed minded. I wish I had logged before I started cutting, to see how I got to 210 pounds, but it wasn't by eating all day, it was by overeating at the 2 or 3 meals I did eat. And I didn't overeat by much, I weighed 170 after a tonsillectomy in 2010, the lowest I had been since high school, I couldn't eat anything solid for weeks because of the pain, even with liquid vicodin. It took me two years to get to 210 lbs. I've always looked heftier or husky as my mom calls it.

So all of you, stop peacocking and realize that some of us just eat less. Maintenance for me is probably 1600 to 1800 calories.

Ohhhhh, but those family members are the best place to start. Genetic inheritance often leads to the same way food, drink and medicines are processed.

So let's do that in a different thread, shall we? OP is getting lost in here.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options

Don't tell me to shut up. On a fitness site particularly, but as a helpful hint in the world, don't minimize people by refering to their body type (Mr. Buff up there") as body hate is ugly on anyone.

You encouraged a woman who disclosed a disorder to continue to undereat and then you keep making the thread about yourself. Just now you inaccurately referred to her as being in the upper range of weight, which is sure to help the body dismorphia, you tool. Until now, no one has been flaming you. They've been disagreeing, which, as there is more than one way to Jesus, you should be able to withstand a little better.

I encouraged a woman who says she is full to stop eating. Our bodies have ways of telling us things, like hunger and fullness. And you are the one slinging around names like mister short and mister long post. You are the ugliest type of person, the one who cannot stand to hear anyone else's opinion, and argue that they shouldn't say something because it might get taken out of context.

Telling someone who has eaten to where they are full is just about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. You all told me that I was wrong and that I knew nothing, and that I needed to eat 2000 calories to be eating at a -800 deficit. What if the OP is sedentary during the day! So many people eat at my level and are fine. 2000 calories or higher would be too much for some of us short people. In the same way that some short people can be overweight, some short people can be underweight while eating a ton. Why you can't allow someone else to say these words without screaming that I am a know nothing misinformed idiot is beyond me. People should be free to say whatever they want, and I say that if ol girl is full she should stop there.

You might be at a healthy weight but you are SO ugly on the inside. How dare you tell others what to think! SHAME ON YOU!
  • britoxo
    Options
    i feel the exact same as you...i find it hard to reach that number when im dieting too, like ur supposed to cut back on cals.. especially if ur not workingout.. u r probably full because u drink so much throughtout the day, thats not bad,.. drinking water detoxifies ur body. if i were u id find some way to move around everyday, some sort of physio even.. to build up an appetite
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    I wasn't making the thread about me, I was saying, here is my evidence for saying this, and here is why I am saying that, I have been around people who eat this, here are my reasons.. I don't see why a little evidence is a bad thing. I kept reffering to the OP, and she IS in the upper range of her weight you liar.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 7 pages of this thread, but from your descriptions of what you eat it sounds like you're getting 1-2 servings of grain, 1 of meat and 1-2 of veggies. That is not enough! You need about

2-3 servings dairy (2% milk is 130cal, Ficello cheesestick is 70cal, cream cheese (100cal/tbsp, cream soups can be 250cal+)
    2-3 servings meat (2 eggs are 140cal, can of tuna 180cal, and most meats have a good amount of calories. 2 tablespoons peanut butter is 180cal, 1/8 almonds is about 120cal, 2tbsp hummus dip is 70cal).
    5-7 servings fruit & veggies! (Banana 110cal, orange 60cal, apple 80cal, OJ 120cal/cup, etc)
    5-8 servings grain (Cereal 110-220cal, toast 90cal, bagel 300cal, oatmeal 110-220cal, pita 210cal).

Regular and reasonable amounts of healthy foods have calories, this is why everything thinks you are not eating enough. You need to look into what constitues "a serving" of a food group. If you put peanut butter instead of "10cal spread" on your toast, that would up the calories. Drink milk! For the sake of your bones and teeth... and you'd probably be better off not counting calories at all right now. If you want to eat 1200cal but you're afraid to gain weight, then you're trying to do 2 impossible things at once. Eat more, look for healthy foods with more calories (A 50cal smoothie barely counts as a snack) and try eating at restaurants instead os sticking to your tiny meals. Don't keep track of calories and you will eventually eat more. If you do gain weight, well it's not the end of the world. Maybe your butt will get rounder or some curves will cover the muscles you seem to hate. You can always go back to eating less if you don't like it, but give it a chance! Eating should be enjoyable, not a math equation or ticking time bomb set at 800 or 1200cal.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    i haven't really provided much information,
    i'm 5'3" and about 124lbs, i've got quite large 'assets' but a slim torso, however my lower stomach bulges outwards but is rock hard, and you can see abs, possibly due to having a layer of fat under the muscle.
    it is my thighs that i really hate but they are almost totally muscle (you can't pinch up any skin, especially if you don't want to cause pain that lasts a good few minutes), however I have no butt. my legs are big because of lots of sprinting and long jump at school so I have massive sprinters thighs. my arms are also very muscular due to stable work such as lifting water buckets and hay bales from a young age and so even just tying my hair gives me biceps most people work hard for, but i really don't like it.

i want to lose muscle without gaining fat.

most people would totally disagree and say I should just do some squats and lunges to tone my butt up and i'll look great but i really hate it. whether its muscle or fat, it still means i'm bigger than all of my friends when i wear jeans and i really hate how i look in shorts and vest tops, like some kind of body builder.

so if any of you have any tips on how to lose muscle (without immobilising) or making it less big/thick then i'll take all of that on board but believe me, toning is not going to make me look any thinner

and accepting it isn't going to help either, i've hated how big i am most of my life tbh

5'3, 124 lbs = BMI = 22

25 is overweight, and BMI under 17 is underweight. I have my information spot on. Don't call me a tool again.
This discussion has been closed.