Paleo Diet

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Neanderthin said:
    Yeah................ the paleo diet also saved my dog and paid my mortgage.....j/k.

You may be joking but it did save my dog. She had a skin disease that would not go away and was costing a small fortune in meds and vet visits. I tried "paleo" on her and the disease went away in two months, her coat is shiny, and she no longer constantly whines and scratches herself all day long.

Processed foods, no matter the intended consumer, or victim, should be avoided.

OFG
    Did you put butter in her coffee? That worked for my dog.

Make that grass-fed butter and add MCT oil and you'd have yourself one seriously bulletproof dog.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I knew it
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    I knew it

The trail of skittles would lead us to you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I went through a 6 month phase of being Paleo(ish), reading The Primal Blueprint, Mark's Daily Apple, Wheat Belly, being a grain/legume-avoider, chugging MCTs and all those related thangs.

All good fun and good to cut the processed stuff out for a while but in the absence of food sensitivities it's just another way of eating (and creating a calorie deficit).

Right now I'm happier doing the whole moderation thing and taking the 'Does it fit my nutritional plan?' out of the equation.

With the stress of a new job in the offing simplicity won out. Get enough protein, eat food that keeps you satisfied. Want a sandwich? White bread? Have a sandwich.

As a result of it I do eat more whole foods and less overly processed stuff though.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I knew it

The trail of skittles would lead us to you.
    Damn! I knew there had to be a downside.
  • This actually speaks partially to the argument going on here. Grains add more fat to the cattle. There's a good chance they do the same to us. :)

Crazy talk. With that logic, next you'll say people shouldn't drink cow milk because it's purpose is to grow calves into cows. Pshaw.

So we should throw out all the years of medical research that use mice/monkeys/cats/cows/etc.? There are many studies that show that carbohydrates in particular make us gain weight, make mice gain weight, etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    This actually speaks partially to the argument going on here. Grains add more fat to the cattle. There's a good chance they do the same to us. :)

Crazy talk. With that logic, next you'll say people shouldn't drink cow milk because it's purpose is to grow calves into cows. Pshaw.

So we should throw out all the years of medical research that use mice/monkeys/cats/cows/etc.? There are many studies that show that carbohydrates in particular make us gain weight, make mice gain weight, etc.

Pretty sure they show caloric surpluses do, regardless of macronutrient
  • And as for the guy who said you do not need protein to live, you are completely wrong. Just missing any one of the essential amino acids for an extended period of time will eventually lead to death, though it may take a while for your body to catabolize your current stores.

That "guy" would be me, though I am a gal. And you are correct, we need the amino acids, but we don't need dietary protein. The fact is there are a lot of people living without ever eating anything, so all thse nonsensical arguments about dietary needs are useless. The fact that the human body won't die without dietary carbohydrates does not prove a diet without carbohydrates is healthy or ideal. Outside medical need, a smart and balanced diet including all the macronutrients is the most likely path to good health.

Ok - Now at least no one in the forum will listen to your advice on protein. You just said:

"The fact is there are a lot of people living without ever eating anything."

Really?

• Actually, eating grains as part of an balanced, healthy diet is a no-brainer, unless you have some sort of medical condition.

Carbohydrates, especially refined carbohydrates, cause heart disease. The science will show this, but studies can't be created overnight. Now, if you choose to continue to consume them and go down that path, that's okay with me. But as for me and my house, we will serve meat.
  • Acg67

Actually, eating grains as part of an balanced, healthy diet is a no-brainer, unless you have some sort of medical condition.

Carbohydrates, especially refined carbohydrates, cause heart disease. The science will show this, but studies can't be created overnight. Now, if you choose to continue to consume them and go down that path, that's okay with me. But as for me and my house, we will serve meat.

O rly? Please post those studies
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member

Actually, eating grains as part of an balanced, healthy diet is a no-brainer, unless you have some sort of medical condition.

lolwut?
  • plaeo is a joke.

agreed.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    plaeo is a joke.

agreed.

if you are going to belittle it the least you could do is learn how to spell it
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

How do you know that science will show this? crystal-ball.gif

Because eating carbs is such a 21st century thing and we have not had the time to study their impact yet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    plaeo is a joke.

agreed.
    In Italy they eat bread and pasta and have a pastry ever morning with their espresso and the obesity rate is 8%, which basically means we should all go to Italy where the nutrients seem to be benign.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    plaeo is a joke.

agreed.
    In Italy they eat bread and pasta and have a pastry ever morning with their espresso and the obesity rate is 8%, which basically means we should all go to Italy where the nutrients seem to be benign.
    they have lucky metabolisms
  • Acg67
    plaeo is a joke.

agreed.

Or their espresso's are made with green coffee beans and it revs up their metabolisms
  • Cranktastic
    plaeo is a joke.

agreed.

nono thats the Irish.
    4 leaf clovers and all
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    plaeo is a joke.

agreed.

anger leads to hate
  • Cranktastic
    cat2.jpg