New Study Reveals: Plateaus are NOT real...

Replies

• peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    My One persons study. It is not scientific... but I think is insightful. By not scientific I mean 100's of people would need to do something similar to what I have done and then see what the results are. So, my results are extremely subjective. Honestly, its just a provocative blog headline to get some attention.
    What study are you referring to?

So based on results of what worked for you, you conclude that no one can possibly experience a plateau that lasts longer than a couple weeks?

OK then ...

not saying that at all. it's not my experience but I guess can surely happen. sounds like the case for you.

please take the time to do some sort of analysis, like a spreadsheet. if you have not it might reveal something.

good luck with that. plateaus suck.
    Your subject is: new study reveals. I asked what study you were referring to, you replied: your personal anecdotal evidence. Perhaps your subject line is the issue. Perhaps it should be: "I've just done a personal experiment and based on my physiology, age, gender, etc. my own personal plateau was not, indeed, a plateau. I wonder if my results would be replicated among various people with similar and different physiology."

Do you know nothing of marketing? there are so many posts here that NO ONE would have read if I had made such a boring title. Write something controversial as a headline to get the party started. Do you feel manipulated yet? muhahahaha
    Oh, so you're marketing something. :yawn: swell. You're not? Well, then don't play with hyperbole when folks are so invested. State facts as facts, and personal experience as such

Yes, I'm promoting the use of a spreadsheet to get a better idea of what is going on while you are losing weight along with many other benefits. What's wrong with that?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    My One persons study. It is not scientific... but I think is insightful. By not scientific I mean 100's of people would need to do something similar to what I have done and then see what the results are. So, my results are extremely subjective. Honestly, its just a provocative blog headline to get some attention.

So based on results of what worked for you, you conclude that no one can possibly experience a plateau that lasts longer than a couple weeks?

OK then ...

not saying that at all. it's not my experience but I guess can surely happen. sounds like the case for you.

please take the time to do some sort of analysis, like a spreadsheet. if you have not it might reveal something.

Your subject is: new study reveals. I asked what study you were referring to, you replied: your personal anecdotal evidence. Perhaps your subject line is the issue. Perhaps it should be: "I've just done a personal experiment and based on my physiology, age, gender, etc. my own personal plateau was not, indeed, a plateau. I wonder if my results would be replicated among various people with similar and different physiology."

Do you know nothing of marketing? there are so many posts here that NO ONE would have read if I had made such a boring title. Write something controversial as a headline to get the party started. Do you feel manipulated yet? muhahahaha
    Oh, so you're marketing something. :yawn: swell. You're not? Well, then don't play with hyperbole when folks are so invested. State facts as facts, and personal experience as such

Yes, I'm promoting the use of a spreadsheet to get a better idea of what is going on while you are losing weight along with many other benefits. What's wrong with that?
    Nothing. I haven't commented on that, have I? I've commented on the use of "new study reveals plateaus are not real..." which suggests there's a new study that, well, reveals something.
    Use a spreadsheet, yay. Don't make sweeping claims about weightloss for everyone.
    I thing I've made my point. I think we're done. Que no?
  • cchambliss
    cchambliss Posts: 5 Member
    im just trying to figure out how you come up with the BMR!
  • peterdt

OK then ...

Nothing. I haven't comment on that, have I? I've commented on the use of "new study reveals plateaus are not real..." which suggests there's a new study that, well, reveals something.
    Use a spreadsheet, yay. Don't make sweeping claims about weightloss for everyone.

The point of these postings are to exchange information, help each other etc. I think I have helped to achieve that with this forum topic and a lot of people have already used the tool I've made and benefited from it. If I had not written that title then its likely it would have been lost in the shuffle. In this case it was certainly worth the deception to get the word out over so many useless forum topics that help almost no one. So in this case the ends do justify the means.
  • peterdt
    im just trying to figure out how you come up with the BMR!

Here's the spreadsheet. Very basic, but hopefully will serve the purpose of entering data to see where you are at.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiJHvhndZJWWdHdUa0RQby1BcldsU0g4WncwWmNtVnc#gid=0

please contact me should you have any problems with it.

To calculate BMR go here:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html

NOTE: I motified my number down from 2964 to 2500. I suspect you will need to do something similar to get the numbers to match up, and hopefully allow you to do some realistic goal setting over the long term.

When entering the data for you BMR be sure to choose the lifestyle you are living WITHOUT your daily exericse since you are filling that field in separately on the spreadsheet. For me that is sedentary since I have a desk job. :).
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Don't people often plateau for over a month at a time?
    I really don't think so although it may depend on the person. I've found i "plateau" for a couple of DAYS then continue losing. I'd say if you plateau for longer than a week or two its time to shake up your workouts and change your caloric intake.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

OK then ...

Nothing. I haven't comment on that, have I? I've commented on the use of "new study reveals plateaus are not real..." which suggests there's a new study that, well, reveals something.

The point of these postings are to exchange information, help each other etc. I think I have helped to achieve that with this forum topic and a lot of people have already used the tool I've made and benefited from it. If I had not written that title then its likely it would have been lost in the shuffle. In this case it was certainly worth the deception to get the word out over so many useless forum topics that help almost no one. So in this case the ends do justify the means.
    The ends justify the means...where have I heard that before...:huh:
  • peterdt

OK then ...

I guess some people just can't see the big picture.
  • Mitzimum
    ^^^ exactly, its not about scientific research its about sharing your experiences. I for one found this thread really interesting :happy:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    I read this, I get what your saying but I have to disagree.. I think plateaus are very real as you can hit them with your weight loss just as much as you can hit them in your strength training.. The more you have to lose, the easier it is to do drastic calorie cuts, but as you get closer to GW you will probably be seeing your fair share of plateaus
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    I really don't think so although it may depend on the person. I've found i "plateau" for a couple of DAYS then continue losing. I'd say if you plateau for longer than a week or two its time to shake up your workouts and change your caloric intake.

While I didn't care for the hyperbolic title of this thread, I do appreciate the OP's suggestion to track via a spreadsheet and will incorporate that. I wasn't offended by the OP, just frustrated with the subterfuge to get me to look in this thread.

However, posts like yours are offensive. If that's your current photo, you're young and things change over time. Add in a metabolic issue like PCOS/diabetes/insulin resistance, etc., and being post-menopausal and you might have a very different experience.

So I'll just chalk up your statement to the arrogance of youth.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

OK then ...

The big picture? Sure I can. I see it clearly.
  • peterdt

While I didn't care for the hyperbolic title of this thread, I do appreciate the OP's suggestion to track via a spreadsheet and will incorporate that. I wasn't offended by the OP, just frustrated with the subterfuge to get me to look in this thread.

However, posts like yours are offensive. If that's your current photo, you're young and things change over time. Add in a metabolic issue like PCOS/diabetes/insulin resistance, etc., and being post-menopausal and you might have a very different experience.

I stated in a later post that I surely overstated that plateaus don't exist. Surely they do. But, at least half the time I think people make them up. The way to check it is a spreadsheet. Did you take the time to do it? It can be a formidable ally in your weight loss journey even if you have medical complications.

So before you make statements like "arrogance of youth" read everything I wrote. Not just pick one thing out and get offended. See the forest through the trees- stop making excuses and do a spreadsheet old "wise" person.
  • peterdt

OK then ...

The big picture? Sure I can. I see it clearly.

Yes, it is the tree right in front of you that you see clearly. :)
  • peterdt
    I read this, I get what your saying but I have to disagree.. I think plateaus are very real as you can hit them with your weight loss just as much as you can hit them in your strength training.. The more you have to lose, the easier it is to do drastic calorie cuts, but as you get closer to GW you will probably be seeing your fair share of plateaus

Yes, I've heard that plenty too. I guess there is something there to be sure. My main point about plateaus is that half the time it is likely an excuse. If people really tracked their calories they would find out that they need to make some adjustments and not really on a plateau.

So, again, if you're in a plateau do a spreadsheet so you can do an honest analysis of the situation.
  • funkycamper

I stated in a later post that I surely overstated that plateaus don't exist. Surely they do. But, at least half the time I think people make them up. The way to check it is a spreadsheet. Did you take the time to do it? It can be a formidable ally in your weight loss journey even if you have medical complications.

So before you make statements like "arrogance of youth" read everything I wrote. Not just pick one thing out and get offended. See the forest through the trees- stop making excuses and do a spreadsheet old "wise" person.

Uhhhh, WTF?

Read my first paragraph where I was complimenting your idea of a spreadsheet to track. Yeah, I think your title is over the top and commented on that but, in general, I think your advice is sound and would make a good thing to add to my arsenal.

My second paragraph was not referring to you at all but, rather, to the person who I quoted in that post who is clearly young and believes her experience translates to older people with heath issues when it definitely does not.

You are knee-jerking to a comment that was not directed at you.

ETA: I am post-menopausal, 55, have diabetes, and lost a good chunk of that 60# during a 2 year period when I was virtually bed-ridden most days due to a severe back injury. Now that my back is healthy enough to exercise, I lift heavy, cycle, run, do bootcamp classes, hike long miles (still trying to get my back strong enough to carry a heavy pack), and am more focused on fitness goals and increasing strength than weight loss (although, yes, I do want to still lose some weight, too.) That said, I am seeing the forest through the trees already, thank you.

And just what excuses am I making? Please list them.
  • peterdt

Uhhhh, WTF?

Read my first paragraph where I was complimenting your idea of a spreadsheet to track. Yeah, I think your title is over the top and commented on that but, in general, I think your advice is sound and would make a good thing to add to my arsenal.

My second paragraph was not referring to you at all but, rather, to the person who I quoted in that post who is clearly young and believes her experience translates to older people with heath issues when it definitely does not.

You are knee-jerking to a comment that was not directed at you.

ETA: I am post-menopausal, 55, have diabetes, and lost a good chunk of that 60# during a 2 year period when I was virtually bed-ridden most days due to a severe back injury. Now that my back is healthy enough to exercise, I lift heavy, cycle, run, do bootcamp classes, hike long miles (still trying to get my back strong enough to carry a heavy pack), and am more focused on fitness goals and increasing strength than weight loss (although, yes, I do want to still lose some weight, too.) That said, I am seeing the forest through the trees already, thank you.

And just what excuses am I making? Please list them.

okay. no worries. please accept my apology. May the force be with you. :)
  • Mitzimum

Sorry if you found my post offensive but it is well known that your body can get used to what you are doing to make it lose weight and hence you may experience a 'plateau'. It can help to mix up your technique. I'm not saying its the same for everyone I was simply sharing my own experience and opinion. I feel that if you have to 'blame it on the arrogance of youth' so be it but seriously I find ageism offensive.
  • funkycamper

Sorry if you found my post offensive but it is well known that your body can get used to what you are doing to make it lose weight and hence you may experience a 'plateau'. It can help to mix up your technique. I'm not saying its the same for everyone I was simply sharing my own experience and opinion. I feel that if you have to 'blame it on the arrogance of youth' so be it but seriously I find ageism offensive.

You made a dogmatic and judgmental statement as if it is fact and your experience will be everyone's experience. It simply isn't true. And, yeah, you did say that.

Even though I've mixed it up a lot over the course of losing 60 pounds, I have still experienced plateaus with the scale that sometimes last for several months.

However, I have not plateaued when it comes to achieving fitness goals. I trained to successfully ride in a 200-mile weekend bicycle event and I achieved it. I have been training to improve my running and I can now run a 5k and will be in my first race at that distance this Saturday after which I will start training for 10k distances. And I am continually increasing my strength during lifting sessions. This spring I will begin training in mountaineering techniques and long-distance, high-altitude hiking carrying a heavy pack in order to summit Rainier while, at the same time, again increasing my distance riding to participate in the 200-miles bicycle weekend event again. My exercise routines are definitely not static. Neither is my eating plan as I have to adjust it to fuel these activities while still trying to maintain a deficit.

And you write as if I have been unsuccessful. I don't think a 60# loss is a failure.

In deference to your abhorrence of ageism, then I'll simply call it arrogance and leave off any references to your youth. Better now?
  • Mitzimum
    meh whatever you think, you're overreacting to what I said, if you want to take my comments in bad light that is up to you. I certainly did not intend to upset anyone. I'm also not an arrogant person but if you would like to believe that by all means go right ahead. I shall chalk this conversation up to you having a bad day and say no more about it.