Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    I wear VS bras. But I won't catch the show.

Sure, it's fun to watch. The models look great. They are also genetic "10s." They no doubt work hard to stay at a low weight, and a few have crazy tricks to lean up before a show.

But most of them are below a healthy BMI. Some of them are only around 15 or 16 BMI. A couple are put in school girl type costumes that are a little creepy for me. Miranda Kerr always look radiant and naturally skinny. I have my doubts about some of the others.

It feels disordered to look up to these select underweight people as the best of our gender.
    VSecret couldn't find a single girl with a BMI of 18 or 19 to model their lingerie? Ever?

Don't hate because you can't be young and slim anymore. The girls have an average age of 17, a paid dietitian, and hit the gym with a personal trainer 4 times a week for a little over an hour.

http://www.diet-weight-lose.com/celebrity/victorias-secret-models.php
  • futureflaka
    futureflaka Posts: 72 Member
    Who is Victoria? And what is this secret she has?

I ask myself this questions every morning when I get dressed!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    they are NOT starving themselves. most of them are mothers to perfectly healthy children. They are tiny, but strong, and if they were on crazy diets all the time they would faint. Those wings are heavy.
    Of course they have huge motivation to look that way. They are paid millions to walk around in cute panties. What would you do?
    VS angels are every girl's inspiration.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    they are NOT starving themselves. most of them are mothers to perfectly healthy children. They are tiny, but strong, and if they were on crazy diets all the time they would faint. Those wings are heavy.
    Of course they have huge motivation to look that way. They are paid millions to walk around in cute panties. What would you do?

don't make generalizations. being a victoria's secret angel was never my inspiration.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member

don't make generalizations. being a victoria's secret angel was never my inspiration.

I don't think she litterly means being a vs model. Just the young, gorgeous, and rich part.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member

I don't think she litterly means being a vs model. Just the young, gorgeous, and rich part.

exactly!! ;)
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    unfortunately I couldn't watch (maybe I should youtube it) but I think those are quite healthy models (except maybe Karlie Kloss?)
    but compared to Vlada Roslykova (as example) anyway
    [even tho I think Vlada looks good but too skinny for me to reach xD it fits to her]
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    They look pretty healthy compared to fashion models. Read an interview with one of the Angels, she talked about working out and eating lots of lean protein and veggies, saying the mistake that fashion girls make is to exercise but not eat adequately, especially protein. So, not so bad as a message. They are mostly just genetically blessed, and I'm sure some of them work real hard too. But hey get paid a lotA couple of years ago, Miranda Kerr didn't do it, as she said that due to other wok commitments, she just didn't have the 12-16 weeks it needs to dedicate to get in precise shape for the show.

They do have really stringent contracts e.g. waist measurement has to be this, hip to waist ratio has to be that, torso length has to be that. I guess it is so that the wings etc can be made to a certain specification in the run-up to the show. They go outside that, no show, no money. I'm a bit uncomfortable with that degree of commodification of anyone's body, male or female.

But otherwise, it's not a lot different from say carnival in Rio and some of the costumes there.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    I watched it and I thought the models looked great. They were thin, but toned. Im envious, but I know having a body like that is unachievable for me, so Im not gonna starve myself to try to achieve it. According to one site they average 5 ft 10, 110 lbs, and a 24 inch waist. This just isnt possible for lots of women, so why dwell on it. Be the best you can be.
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    I watched it and I thought the models looked great. They were thin, but toned. Im envious, but I know having a body like that is unachievable for me, so Im not gonna starve myself to try to achieve it. According to one site they average 5 ft 10, 110 lbs, and a 24 inch waist. This just isnt possible for lots of women, so why dwell on it. Be the best you can be.

well said :drinker: yay
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    I LOVE Victoria's Secret, I can't wait to catch this show online later as it doesn't air where I live. There will always be the underweight argument but people who say that know very little about the modelling and fashion industry. VS models are more healthy than high fashion models (eg. look at the difference between Karlie Kloss who's now a VS angel and the rest of them- Karlie has always been a high fashion model and her shape and figure is much thinner and less curvaceous than the others). Some people have the face/the body/the drive to maintain their body in a certain way to do modelling, others don't. As others have said, don't compare yourself to girls with different body types/careers than you- they're MEANT to look good! Just appreciate the gorgeous ladies and the clothes! (:
  • I can't watch it because I find it extremely triggering for my ED but they do not look like women with eating disorders. Yes, they are thin and beautiful but they are a healthier weight than most models because swimming suit/lingerie models need to not be sticks because that's not what people like to see in those types of clothing.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    The Victoria's secret models do look very fit and healthy.
    Sure, their bodies might not be achievable by everyone, but they aren't unhealthily thin by a long shot!

I'll watch the show when it's on YouTube :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I can't watch it because I find it extremely triggering for my ED but they do not look like women with eating disorders.

Out of interest, and without any "judging" going on, why can't you use them to inspire you to achieve the "perfect" body by non-ED means if you know they do not have EDs?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    There is something seriously wrong when women can't watch the show and simply say "wow they look great" without the overwhelming need to either mentally destroy themselves over it or belittle and complain ad nauseum over the models. And no, if you're one of these types its not society's fault, its your own. Learning to accept that there may be people more attractive, more fit, and richer (or perhaps in this case or not, smarter) than yourself is part of growing up. And yes, many of us guys loved the show. Just as a heck of a lot of women watch football, "Magic Mike", fawn over David Beckham, ogle bodybuilders and surfers, read romance novels, etc.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Funny enough...some of the girls in the show were on Hawaii 50. While one had what I consider a nice body I did not find those girls that attractive especially compared to some of the girls on MFP. Ladies be yourself and be confident in who you are..that is what is sexy...
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    was a great show.

would wife all of them
  • Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Using Marisa Miller as an example, VS girls are anomalies of the human body. Marisa Miller is 110 pounds but carries a set of 34D's on her chest. And then add the fact that her breasts defy gravity. They're naturally super perky. Now, I get it...some breasts are naturally perky. I get that. But a 34 inch bust, 23 inch waist, 110 pounds, and D cups. That's just freaky.

I have a theory that VS models are genetically engineered.

120 pounds and natural dd's..haha :) people hate me. do you have fake boobs? NO. then they start making faces like ace ventura
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Don't hate because you can't be young and slim anymore. The girls have an average age of 17, a paid dietitian, and hit the gym with a personal trainer 4 times a week for a little over an hour.

http://www.diet-weight-lose.com/celebrity/victorias-secret-models.php
    [/quote]/

What? Actually, most of them are approaching at least mid-twenties, with some in their late 20s or older. Another reason VS shows are A LOT different than regular, high-fashion runway (that features girls as young as fifteen)
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Using Marisa Miller as an example, VS girls are anomalies of the human body. Marisa Miller is 110 pounds but carries a set of 34D's on her chest. And then add the fact that her breasts defy gravity. They're naturally super perky. Now, I get it...some breasts are naturally perky. I get that. But a 34 inch bust, 23 inch waist, 110 pounds, and D cups. That's just freaky.

I have a theory that VS models are genetically engineered.

120 pounds and natural dd's..haha :) people hate me. do you have fake boobs? NO. then they start making faces like ace ventura

Marisa Miller is natural too. She's not DD, but they look like DD's on her because other than her height, she's pretty tiny.