Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I can't watch it because I find it extremely triggering for my ED but they do not look like women with eating disorders.

Out of interest, and without any "judging" going on, why can't you use them to inspire you to achieve the "perfect" body by non-ED means if you know they do not have EDs?

As a recovering anorexic (of over a decade), I for sure never used a VS model as "thinspiration" (and often didn't look at any models, having had more issues with control... but when I did look at people, boy was rehab-Mary-Kate my most looked at), I can't speak for that poster, but I can say:

An ED is a "disorder"; your mind is not thinking clearly. The rate of correlation between body dysmorphia and EDs is huge. So, you see a healthy model... but someone who is a model because they have the means to be, were born with a certain aesthetic, etc. You, being unable to properly see yourself, feel extreme shame, discomfort, self-hate, whatever. You don't register the, "She's paid to look like that." You just think, "I need to try and look like that," and since you have the whole "disordered eating," you start starving or purging or overexercising instead of following a healthy plan.

It's a ****ed mind cycle. That's not everyone's, but an observation.

As for the claims (not by you) that VS models have disordered eating... I would think by this point on many of your MFP journeys, you'd know they can't have muscle tone like that on a huge deficit. They have their famous "sort of crash" diets right before the show, but otherwise... they're hardly the hangers on a real runway (who, as many designers have said, literally are just "hangers" for their work).
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Don't hate because you can't be young and slim anymore. The girls have an average age of 17, a paid dietitian, and hit the gym with a personal trainer 4 times a week for a little over an hour.

http://www.diet-weight-lose.com/celebrity/victorias-secret-models.php
    /

What? Actually, most of them are approaching at least mid-twenties, with some in their late 20s or older. Another reason VS shows are A LOT different than regular, high-fashion runway (that features girls as young as fifteen)
    [/quote]

I thought the article was a little misleading too. Maybe they mean starting age?
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I missed it last night but I'll be watching it at some point today, I LOVE VS fashion shows. I love Rosie, I just think she's so damn darling.

And um... I'm 5'2 - I would never look at a 7'4 VS model and cry because I don't look like that. I never have, and never will. I agree that they're a bit of genetic freaks (in the good way, haha) which is why there's oh..... ten of them out of an entire planet of women. Come on now.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I think they're all beautiful, but I don't find the very long, lean look all that appealing. I prefer the aesthetic of their models from about 15-20 years ago - Jill Goodacre, Fredrique Van Der Wal, Stephanie Seymour, Laetitia Casta, etc. They were still otherworldly gorgeous, but they seemed more... normal?

Maybe it's because that was before there was so much padding and so much photoshopping... sometimes their thighs touched and their boobs didn't. :laugh:
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We don't have the whole VS here in the Uk and even if we did, there is no way I would waste my time watching such vacuous tripe!

Not for jealousy reasons, I just don't see how this is classed as entertainment. :-/
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Why weren't people all worried about Channing Tatum's calorie intake when Magic Mike hit theaters?
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Why weren't people all worried about Channing Tatum's calorie intake when Magic Mike hit theaters.

Ugh, he's a meathead. I have no idea why women find him so attractive!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Why weren't people all worried about Channing Tatum's calorie intake when Magic Mike hit theaters.

Ugh, he's a meathead. I have no idea why women find him so attractive!

The only reason I say that. Is the same people in my FB feed that were drooling over Channing Tatum last summer, were the same people put off by the VS Fashion Show.

I watched exactly 8 mintues of it before I turned it off. Mostly because I was baffled. Is even 10% of what those women were wearing even going to end up in a VS Store? That and the music was atrocious.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was on until this morning. I dont' usually watch, but I would love to have a body like theirs. I know it's pretty unrealistic but we're just talking fantasy here anyways!
  • shev11
    shev11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in England so no :( but yeah, I would if I could. It doesn't really affect me. Those women are hot and I would love to look like them but I'm not going to start starving myself to look like them, that's silly.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I watch it. I love the outfits and wings. Everytime I watch, I think, "we'll I'm not that far off. Maybe if I tone up some more I can be that for Halloween?" ;) lol. Here is my new motivation for the next 10 months.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is that I've been counting down to it since like October, and I ended up missing it last night because I was too caught up with life & I honestly didn't care that much, I know I can catch it later.

As for girls wanting to starve themselves to look like that, they're idiots. You won't get that slim, toned look, radiant skin, or the energy they have by starving yourself. You'll just get skinny-fat, weak, pale, and end up the hospital. Why do so many girls think starving yourself is the way to achieve any type of desirable body? Any time there's a model or a good looking celebrity in the tabloids, there's always some nonsense about putting the wrong impression on girls. I'm not referring to the stick-thin, coke-snorting models, but as for a lot of these women with great bods, they didn't achieve them by waking up one day and deciding to starve themselves. They did it with years of hard workouts & a healthy lifestyle. Naive girls everywhere need to realize that and stop looking for dangerous, unrealistic quick fixes.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Do you have any evidence that any of the VS models in the show have eating disorders?

Seriously?????? c'mon.....
  • shev11
    shev11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you have any evidence that any of the VS models in the show have eating disorders?

VS models look, well, radiant. They don't look ill and they must be pretty strong to not collapse under the weight of those wings. I think the majority of them are actually pretty healthy, although the same doesn't go for ALL models obviously.
  • nd2bfree
    nd2bfree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Implying that the models have eating disorders is just another form of body hate. It's not right that when people that are overweight are criticized that they can take it as offensive. But when a thin person is insulted, it doesnt matter b/c they are thin? That just doesnt seem right to me. My cousin is a model and you know what? She can eat more than her brothers and her favorite food is KFC. So blatantly judging models b/c you think they are anorexic is wrong. It's the same thing as calling someone fat. You know some of them might have ED, but criticizing someone for having a disease is just sick. But thank you to the one who started this group for clarifying that they may be healthy and stating some facts rather than just opinions.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I like the VS models from the 90s better
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

What? What makes you say that, because they have nice bodies? They're paid to be professionally hot. That's their job.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've never watched because it seems boring.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

What? What makes you say that, because they have nice bodies? They're paid to be professionally hot. That's their job.

"nice" is a relative term. They look kinda skinny fat and flabby to me... but maybe i'm just too harsh.

Also, their outfits are ridiculous. Just sayin
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Implying that the models have eating disorders is just another form of body hate. It's not right that when people that are overweight are criticized that they can take it as offensive. But when a thin person is insulted, it doesnt matter b/c they are thin? That just doesnt seem right to me. My cousin is a model and you know what? She can eat more than her brothers and her favorite food is KFC. So blatantly judging models b/c you think they are anorexic is wrong. It's the same thing as calling someone fat. You know some of them might have ED, but criticizing someone for having a disease is just sick. But thank you to the one who started this group for clarifying that they may be healthy and stating some facts rather than just opinions.

No one....that I noticed...is implying ALL have eating disorders. But I think the reality would be, that many people in an industry such as modelling, may likely struggle with ....maintaining the ideal industry weight. Whether that means an eating disorder, great genetics, or just a constant kick *kitten*, disciplined routine, who knows.

Hey, there are people I have come across on here that are pro-ana - eating disorders of all kinds are sad. Sorry if you took any of this offensively.