Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

1789101113»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Anyone that thinks the VS models are skinny fat, flabby or wiggly (or anything like that) has issues with holding people to an unattainable level of perfection and scrutiny, or has a distorted sense of what a healthy slender body looks like. No one can meet your levels of expectation if you think the VS models are skinny fat. It's not healthy to expect that of anyone. Maybe the VS models are not "your type", but they are not fat.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Implying that the models have eating disorders is just another form of body hate. It's not right that when people that are overweight are criticized that they can take it as offensive. But when a thin person is insulted, it doesnt matter b/c they are thin? That just doesnt seem right to me. My cousin is a model and you know what? She can eat more than her brothers and her favorite food is KFC. So blatantly judging models b/c you think they are anorexic is wrong. It's the same thing as calling someone fat. You know some of them might have ED, but criticizing someone for having a disease is just sick. But thank you to the one who started this group for clarifying that they may be healthy and stating some facts rather than just opinions.

No one....that I noticed...is implying ALL have eating disorders. But I think the reality would be, that many people in an industry such as modelling, may likely struggle with ....maintaining the ideal industry weight. Whether that means an eating disorder, great genetics, or just a constant kick *kitten*, disciplined routine, who knows.

Hey, there are people I have come across on here that are pro-ana - eating disorders of all kinds are sad. Sorry if you took any of this offensively.

What a backhanded apology, "Sorry if you..." instead of "Sorry, I was uninformed and made an insensitive comment."
  • ""After last year's VS fashion show, which was watched by 10.3 million viewers, females could be seen on Twitter tweeting things like "Okay, so no eating," "2 hour workouts start tomorrow," and "Are they trying to make me starve myself?" Females of all ages can’t help but look at these models as prototypes for which they feel they should look like.""

I think a lot of people missed the OP's point: although there are some people that can have naturally skinny bodies (naturally a size 0-8) when they lose weight and exercise to keep it off and build muscle, there are some people are not built that way and therefore, to SOME viewers (mostly female) they look at how their significant other views the videos and feel inadequate. THIS can cause some people to binge and purge as a result.
    Is it the company's fault or the models? No. Do some men (and women) use that to compare themselves and other people? Absolutely, and for that, they are totally wrong and only making matters worse for themselves.
    The OP is trying to say that due to this show airing last year, many women tweeted self-depreciating comments about themselves.

and also:

""Like I said, I don’t feel that all of the models are starving themselves; it would be unfair to make that assumption.""

I also see a lot of people jumped on the "they're models, therefore, they all starve themselves" bandwagon. Again, that isn't the OP's point.
    I don't believe that all the models starve themselves or have a eating disorder; however, in my opinion, these women are only valued by their looks. That alone causes stress and devalues a woman for who she really is...but this isn't the issue. Models do their trade by choice and choice alone.
    If any males want to say "I watch the Victoria Secret fashion show because I like boobies", then good for them. Again, models know that this is what happens. They enter the field knowing this.
    However, if your man (or significant other) wants YOU to change your looks because he/she wants you to look like a model, then that's an issue you two need to work on.
    There are also very immature little boys running around expecting all women to look this way and only talk to women who look a certain way. That's they're own undoing, and why would you want to be with someone who only loves you for your looks?
    Ok, I think I covered every strange and silly comment on this thread. :laugh:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    The thing I most want to know is what exercise they do to be lean and firm, yet to not get bulked up legs, as personally, for me, anything too intense like running, elliptical, cycling, bulks up the legs, so I am presuming they avoid quite a lot of forms of exercise to keep their legs from bulking.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    The thing I most want to know is what exercise they do to be lean and firm, yet to not get bulked up legs, as personally, for me, anything too intense like running, elliptical, cycling, bulks up the legs, so I am presuming they avoid quite a lot of forms of exercise to keep their legs from bulking.

Probably genetic.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member

1)They are tall and small boned.

2) it is impossible to bulk your legs doing any of those activities...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    I guess I'm lucky. Doing squats (along with jumping jacks, lunges, and other types of cardio) just firmed up my legs without making them bulky. Not saying that it will do that be like that for everybody, but I'm happy with the results.
  • I found your post, I just had to agree, Yes where are the male equivalent? I'm waiting for equal rights if your going to flash skin on TV the women viewers need something to drool over so the men can complain. :) I never watch because the models are too perfect. where are the real women? short, older, heavier a more realistic sampling please. i'm sure they don't just sell one size fits all undies???
  • BinaryPulsar
    The VS Fashion show is a fashion show. The fashion designers design couture outfits made just for their bodies to show their work. None of what they wear is for sale or sold in their catalog, web site, store.

I was reading some of the tweets last night and one person said, "Only a VS model could look good dressed as a sock monkey". I thought that was funny.
  • I can't watch it because I find it extremely triggering for my ED but they do not look like women with eating disorders.

Out of interest, and without any "judging" going on, why can't you use them to inspire you to achieve the "perfect" body by non-ED means if you know they do not have EDs?

As a recovering anorexic (of over a decade), I for sure never used a VS model as "thinspiration" (and often didn't look at any models, having had more issues with control... but when I did look at people, boy was rehab-Mary-Kate my most looked at), I can't speak for that poster, but I can say:

An ED is a "disorder"; your mind is not thinking clearly. The rate of correlation between body dysmorphia and EDs is huge. So, you see a healthy model... but someone who is a model because they have the means to be, were born with a certain aesthetic, etc. You, being unable to properly see yourself, feel extreme shame, discomfort, self-hate, whatever. You don't register the, "She's paid to look like that." You just think, "I need to try and look like that," and since you have the whole "disordered eating," you start starving or purging or overexercising instead of following a healthy plan.

It's a ****ed mind cycle. That's not everyone's, but an observation.

^^Exactly, that's the perfect answer.

Edited to add:
    Also, I don't know any (I'm sure there are some) people with EDs that blame skinny celebs, models, etc. BUT they can be triggers. It's parents and media that blame public figures and it isn't right. We can't stop everyone in the world from being thin just in case it 'causes' and eating disorder. It's a mental illness. You don't just wake up one morning and decide to throw up your breakfast, starve yourself, or whatever else you may do. Your messed up brain tells you to do it. We know its not healthy and I know I hate being this way. I'd give anything to just be normal and not have to be tortured every second of the day but even through recovery, those thoughts never completely go away. It's hard to understand unless you've been there and it's not a matter if deciding not to have one anymore.
  • BinaryPulsar
    ^^^ I so very much agree and understand. I have had issues when I was younger and it was not because of VS Fashion shows or anything like that. The issues were much deeper and for me stemmed back to being used as a sexual object by my stepfather when I was a young child (and I'm sure other girls develop these issues because of all different reasons). I feel now that the healthy and happiest way for me to approach my issues is to work on the internal issues, so that I can exist in this world and among all that is a part of this world and still be secure and happy. I can watch the show without it having a negative impact on me. Other people can make the choice to not watch the show and not have it impact them at all. I am also a mother. This is the world my daughters live in. I want to work with them to be secure girls that grow into secure young women. That is something very deep and internal and not something that the existence of a fashion show, models, or many beautiful women could shake.

I think it is healthy when we know that our worth and value is about more then just our body and sex appeal, and that at the same time it is ok to enjoy our bodies and sex appeal and to take care of ourselves. And it's also good to feel beautiful and to be able to appreciate the beauty in others. There are different types of beauty (as some others have mentioned). Someone else being beautiful does not diminish me in any way.
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    I didn't watch simply since I don't watch much tv live anymore. Also, I know who I am and I know I ain't 5'11 and going to be than skinny. I'm okay with that! However, seeing them toned and in shape on other medias make me get my *kitten* out of bed and to a jog in the morning. They are a motivation to get me bikini ready!
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    I watched it but I don't let it get me down. If I was paid mega bucks to work out all day and look awesome you better believe I would. In the meantime as a part time working full time student, I think I do an awesome job.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    I love the VS fashion show. I think their models look pretty good actually, not overly skinny with no muscle tone. They look thin but healthy to me. I find it a motivation to work hard to look good. Heaven knows they don't eat whatever they want to look like that and from interviews with the Angels, it sounds like they do quite a bit of working out.

In short, watching the VS fashion show this winter is inspiration to get moving so I can be ready for that new VS bikini next summer.
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    IN before
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTudvGbIfRDxvKlxxqgN5b-DeKRrptVKr4w8mGxAT7FdF0lb3ff

Have you guys seen the muscles on those ladies! Incredible! I'm impressed. Watched it with my roommates (I'm in college).