eating calories burned???? really?!? im confused!

13»

Replies

• You can set you weight loss to 1.5 a week or even 1 lb(recommended by MFP) and your intake will change

Well.. eating 1200 calories a day for me is a weight loss of .4 lbs a week .. not even half a pound. However.. I'm tiny and older and my BMR is 1135 calories .. It sucks for us older ones (I'm 46) .. I envy everyone that can eat 1500+ calories a day .. that's what I'm used to eating.. but I quit smoking in August and BANG .. my metabolism took a nose dive and I gained 15 lbs in 30 days! Whoa! I didn't even change my diet .. I was rather shocked to be honest.

So anyway .. I dropped half that weight pretty fast (still NOT smoking...yay) .. and am pretty happy overall where I am. 113 lbs isn't bad ... 105-110 is where I was before I quit smoking and gained.

Not everyone loses 1 - 1.5 lbs or more a week on a 1200 cal/day restriction .. I'm proof of that! :smile:

Refer to my post above..
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Don't listen to the broscience out there.

So is the official definition of 'Broscience', anything that you don't agree with?

Apparently that must be it, because everyone throws that term around, no matter what type of plan they follow or recommend.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    You can set you weight loss to 1.5 a week or even 1 lb(recommended by MFP) and your intake will change

Well.. eating 1200 calories a day for me is a weight loss of .4 lbs a week .. not even half a pound. However.. I'm tiny and older and my BMR is 1135 calories .. It sucks for us older ones (I'm 46) .. I envy everyone that can eat 1500+ calories a day .. that's what I'm used to eating.. but I quit smoking in August and BANG .. my metabolism took a nose dive and I gained 15 lbs in 30 days! Whoa! I didn't even change my diet .. I was rather shocked to be honest.

So anyway .. I dropped half that weight pretty fast (still NOT smoking...yay) .. and am pretty happy overall where I am. 113 lbs isn't bad ... 105-110 is where I was before I quit smoking and gained.

Not everyone loses 1 - 1.5 lbs or more a week on a 1200 cal/day restriction .. I'm proof of that! :smile:

Refer to my post above..

Umm .. you're not older like I am .. I am not trying to lose a lot of weight (all of 3-5 more lbs really) .. I went with the recommended .5 lb a week since losing 1 lb a week is not possible for me .. since I'm not pro-ana and trying to starve .. since I'm not trying to lose a TON of weight. My maintenance calories at sedentary/desk job will be 1425 calories .. so my current deficit is merely 225 calories .. I'm not eating below that hardly .. I usually eat more than 1200 calories.

You are obviously limited in your education of women over 40... get with the program .. does your 70 or 80 year old grandma eat 1800-2000 calories a day? doubtful .. even if she was active, her metabolism and age simply don't require that much fuel anymore..

I'm not a body builder .. I'm just a small and petite female pretty much maintaining .. I have no desire to lose 10 lbs .. that puts me underweight @ 103 lbs.. Please read my original post more carefully...
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Ok, So I dont understand why I see some people eating back their calories... why would you spend time burning off calories only to eat them back!?

Also, Why is it that I see most everyone is eating well over 1200 calories? Did I miss something? Please help me understand... especially if it means quicker weightloss!

Personally I exercise because I enjoy it. I choose activities I enjoy and I have never regarded exercise as a pass for additional food calories. I see diet and exercise as two separate issues both contributing to my health and well being. It's important for each of us to do what works for us and we find to be a comfortable lifestyle.
  • Your body needs to eat after a workout in order to burn the fat. Yeah you burned off the calories and that's great but without fuel your body cannot burn off the fat which is the ultimate goal for some people. It depends on how you replace the calories. If you replaced your calories with healthy foods, it won't really matter because your body will burn off those calories by the end of the day trying to maintain you. If you replace those calories with greasy foods or fattening foods, then that's when the workout was pretty much pointless. (I say pretty much because you did allow for more of a caloric intake).
    1,200 calories isn't everyone's goal. 1,200 is a good caloric intake for someone who doesn't really work out, but if you maintain a somewhat active lifestyle, you will need to intake more calories. It's only natural. Sports cars need more gas than fuel efficient cars. Therefore, more active people need more calories than non-active people.