Curious: Is Hitting 'Rock Bottom' Necessary?

2»

Replies

• Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    I wanted to make changes BEFORE I hit rock bottom. I was nearing that - walking with a cane. For me, rock bottom was either being in a scooter or being bed-ridden. I couldnt handle the thought of either scenario so I changed.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Hi. My name is Dave and I did not have a rock bottom moment.

It was more of an awakening that more attention to my caloric input and macro breakdown was needed to maximize my goals.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Hard to say. Because some peoples rock bottom's are not as bad as they can get.

Agreed. I think it is more of an "aha" moment where you get the motivation. Take my husband for instance, he is about 15 pounds overweight throughout the year and no matter what I do, cooking, nagging him to work out, etc., he'll only lose the weight when he has something to look forward to, like a beach vacation. Me on the other hand, I'm always thinking about it and maintaining my weight for the most part. I think it is definitely an internal motivation that you yourself have to have, not necessarily a rock bottom.

For me I saw a picture of myself that I felt I looked so incredibly fat in, even though at 130 pounds and 5'4" I wasn't THAT overweight, and had just had a baby, but to me it was motivation to stop eating junk, start counting my calories, and exercising. I lost 25 pounds in 5 months right after that picture.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    I can't remember ever having a moment like this. I have had a lot of occasions over the years where I have been embarrased eg breaking a chair/yelled at on way home from gym/hurtful comments but this usually made me turn to food instead. I think the turning point for me was when I tried a low carb diet expecting to lose a few pounds but after the first 10 pounds I suddenly felt motivated to continue.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    I didn't hit rock bottom, exactly. But I woke up one morning and realized just exactly what size pants and shirts I was wearing. It wasn't a huge moment for me, but that's when I decided to change my lifestyle. I ended up at Google, inputting "free dieting websites" and came across Sparkpeople.com. Through them, I managed to go from 162 to 128 in about a year, just by watching my portions and exercising.

Now, with back to back pregnancies, I'm almost back at square one. Not as heavy as I was, since I've been watching what I eat a little better, but definitely not where I would've liked to have been.