THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Love this post! You just have to make the decision. So true
  • tanyanelson922
    tanyanelson922 Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks for your service. I like that you said we need decision not motivation to be disciplined. If you decide and make your mind up your body will follow. You believe that decision and habit are key to losing weight. Habit is routine, doing it at the same time everyday. I never remember to be consistent for a reason, so habit for me is hard. As hard as remembering doctor appointments or having a perfect golf swing, practice makes perfect. I exercise when I have a burst of energy during the day and feel like it. Feel like dancing or hitting the bag or golfing. I go by feeling, when I am in the mood. I know this is not a habit, but have only missed a few days of exercise and you need breaks every now and then to let your body relax.
  • tanyanelson922
    I quit smoking in May 10th of 2018 but still chew the gum and like exercising and being movtivated I have to give up the gum and use it to remain calm and to not smoke since I am around a smoker and am so tempted to ask for a cigarette, but have not. The tobacco is there are day, that does not bother me, but seeing him smoke is hard because I crave it. How I resist is I do not want to smoke anymore, I like the way I smell, like perfume and my body has changed and can hold a note longer when I sing. This is a big motivator for me along with smelling good. I also get less winded when I exercise and can do it longer.
  • tanyanelson922
    Oh by the way I am 47 years old and smoked since I was 15, only quit for 6 months twice before once when pregnant and once I quit because I wanted too, but asked for that one cigarette. This time I am not going to ask, I want to be a non smoker, smell nice and sing beautifully.
  • themexicanbigfoot
    themexicanbigfoot Posts: 167 Member
    Wow. THIS is what I needed to hear. Motivation is *kitten*. Decide. thank you!
  • my2cents4u
    my2cents4u Posts: 3 Member
    Exactly!!!!! It is not will power but instead clarity that defines the ability to take action and make it happen everyday. Failure is only an option if you choose it. When we stop bullshitting ourselves and making excuses, real change happens. ;)B)
  • myawsomeboys
    myawsomeboys Posts: 54 Member
    Agreed! I love it makes perfect sense thank you,God bless you. 🖤
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    just read this. it is so true. Good advice.
  • Just what I needed to restart after being laid up for 4 months. Needed that push! Thank you
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    I can’t think of anything to say except Thank You for being willing to say what I needed to be said
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Big bump :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Another bump :)
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Bump
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    bgr3b4uwdbu5.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    bump
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    I have been on MFP since August 2014, and this is the first time I've seen this post. And I absolutely needed this today. :smiley:
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    bumpity bump bump
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    April showers bring May thread bumps.
  • rubipaz75
    rubipaz75 Posts: 13 Member
    I came up with excuses all the time! thank you!
  • carolynsutton6
    carolynsutton6 Posts: 9 Member
    Absolutely beautiful! I love the reminder to stay on target.