Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Replies

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    How do you get a 52 gram protein shake? You use 2 scoops?
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Yeah, that's two scoops.
  • Great Info. I am new to the app, can you tell me why my calorie count does not decrease when calories are burned from exercise. Goal minus foods plus exercise....not sure why. Thanks for any help.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Great Info. I am new to the app, can you tell me why my calorie count does not decrease when calories are burned from exercise. Goal minus foods plus exercise....not sure why. Thanks for any help.

Because MFP estimates a daily burn that includes NO exercise, just daily life.
    Then take a deficit to eating goal to cause weight loss.

When you exercise, you just burned more than it planned on, so you log it, daily burn went up.
    Then you take the same deficit, and eating goal is higher.

So it makes no assumptions you'll actually exercise, but when you do, you get to eat more.

So you could view it as happening several ways. Using some figures.
    Estimated non-exercise daily burn - 2000
    Deficit - 500
    non-exercise Eating goal - 1500

Workout 600 calorie burn + 2000 daily = 2600
    2600 - 500 deficit = 2100 eating goal

What MFP does to keep it simple though is just add exercise on to eating goal.
    Eating goal 1500 + 600 exercise = 2100 new eating goal.

Or in your question : 1500 - 1100 eaten + 600 exercise = 1000 left.

Same thing, different order.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Keep in mind, MFP does not count calories for exercises entered in to strength training. While it does burn calories, there are too many variable to estimate burn even remotely accurately.
  • heybales
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Keep in mind, MFP does not count calories for exercises entered in to strength training. While it does burn calories, there are too many variable to estimate burn even remotely accurately.

Actually, you have to log it into Cardio as either Strength Training, Circuit Training, or Calisthenics.
    True the stats logging section of reps and weights has no calorie component to it.

And actually the database is based on the common METS database where the values used do come from studies.

They are actually pretty decent - if you hold to the parameters the studies used, like rests between sets and rep ranges.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16277826

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjdGl2aXRpZXN8Z3g6MjgyY2EyMzQzNWFlN2Q3OA

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjdGl2aXRpZXN8Z3g6MjdiN2Y3NzAwYTU1YWExZQ
  • Thanks for the info.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited April 2015
    Saw this earlier and couldn't find it again, will need to read this more carefully. Overload of information.
    Every time I read new (new-to-me) information pertaining to calories and macros, I’m second guessing my settings to meet my goals. Absorbing and comprehending the vast amount of information and trying to customize to my needs is plain old difficult.
  • giusa
    If someone has a chance to double check my math, fat seems high and protein low (used 35 bf%)...1450 cals on a deficit (TDEE 1567/1607).

Protein: 1 x 135 x .65 = 87.75g x 4 calories = 351/1450 = 24%
    Fat: .35 x 135 = 47.25g x 9 calories = 425.25/1450 = 29%
  • heybales
    giusa wrote: »
    If someone has a chance to double check my math, fat seems high and protein low (used 35 bf%)...1450 cals on a deficit (TDEE 1567/1607).

You got it.
    Trig is next topic, you may proceed.

Though - are you sure you got the rough TDEE level correct? You mention 2 TDEE's, is that 2 site estimates?
    It only speaks to hours of exercise weekly. But if your daily activity is NOT a sedentary desk job with no kids or pets, that daily activity is probably Lightly Active on it's own.
    You must add the 2 together then for better estimate of TDEE. Lowballing it isn't better.
  • giusa
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for your input @heybales!!!!!
    ExRx: MBR 1307, TDEE 1607
    Scooby: (Desk Job Light Activity/Gain Muscle, Lose Fat) MBR 1306, TDEE 1567
    Stats: Female, 51 yrs old, Scale Weight 135, Height 5’ 5”, BF% 35.10% (Omron Body Fat Monitor)
    Live a sedentary life style with a desk job, basic cooking, cleaning and my children are in there 20's.

With the TDEE, I've been basically going back and forth for over 2 years (since a cardio *DISASTER*) trying to decide what to use. Every time I read new information I'm second guessing my decision and starting all over again. I'm now using the SL 5x5 program to train, my goal is to 'fill' my upper body and 'smooth out' my lower (gained all weight between waist and knees). I'm hoping to regain my body composition from the cardio program that shall remain nameless!

I'll take the estimate between the two TDEE's and use that with a 5% deficit, or would you recommend 10%?
  • heybales
    So the SL5x5 can take only 90 weekly, though could go longer with warmup sets.

Do you do any cardio now, only up to 90 weekly too then? (walking is about 1/2 time though)

That's 3 hrs and Lightly Active.

But if you spend more time on either or both, then you are Moderately Active.

10% would give more reasonable deficit, and even there, with that small margin of error, could be wiped out, so good food logging required.

Of course after a month, look at results and adjust from there.
  • giusa
    No more second guessing!!! YAH! There's a lot of crappy information out there, time to put it behind me. Now I have a goal, and can move on! Thanks again!
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    edited April 2015
    If I did this right, it says I should be eating 1890 calories to lose weight. (step 6). I'm only eating 1200-1300 calories. (and I'm not losing anything) 1890 sounds scarey. You think that's right? I forgot to add that I lift weights for 45 minutes 3 days a week and walk 2.6 on treadmill 3 times a week.
  • heybales
    odirish wrote: »
    If I did this right, it says I should be eating 1890 calories to lose weight. (step 6). I'm only eating 1200-1300 calories. (and I'm not losing anything) 1890 sounds scarey. You think that's right? I forgot to add that I lift weights for 45 minutes 3 days a week and walk 2.6 on treadmill 3 times a week.

Easily.
    You merely need to eat less than you burn on average by a reasonable amount. Make it unreasonable and stress your body - it won't work so well with you.

Increase calories slowly, like 100 extra daily for a week at a time.

And try logging what you used to eat that got you in to trouble, and before workouts, and compare 1890 to that value. Still scary?
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Maybe I'm a blockhead :D but I went into my MFP goals, I added that I am moderately active 3 xs a week. Gave me a calorie goal of 1280. So...if the other calculation says I should eat 1890 and I burn maybe 300 calories 3xs a week from exercise, and my goal is to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week (I wish) should I be eating around 1300 calories? Totally not understanding this. lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

How much do you weigh? What did you set your activity level at to get your TDEE?
  • giusa
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

How much do you weigh? What did you set your activity level at to get your TDEE?

Hi Sara, didn't include any activity to calculate either TDEE, and used 135# as scale weight. What is your recommendation for women who would like to correct body composition from extreme cardio. Do you recommend to start at maintenance (to 'fill out' upper body which includes face) or a deficit (to smooth out lower body from weight gained since cardio disaster)? THANKS in advance for your input!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Hi Sara, didn't include any activity to calculate either TDEE, and used 135# as scale weight. What is your recommendation for women who would like to correct body composition from extreme cardio. Do you recommend to start at maintenance (to 'fill out' upper body which includes face) or a deficit (to smooth out lower body from weight gained since cardio disaster)? THANKS in advance for your input!

What is your lifting history? How long have you been lifting and what were you doing before SL (if you were).

That BF% looks off based on your height and weight- the BIA devices can be very inaccurate.
  • giusa
    edited April 2015
    Not athletic, very small frame, bought my first pair of sneakers at age 45. After I learned cardio is not the cure all, started working with dumbbells off and on, (oh, yea, I do have an erg machine I occasionally use...) nothing consistent. Tried StrongLifts, enjoyed it, and decided to invest in a power rack, just finished week 4 now.
    I realize the monitor is not accurate but I use it as a guide, also take measurements once a month.
    Don't have family, friends, or coworkers for guidance, MFP is my only support, and until now, it's been difficult to get good creditable input.
    Now that I found something I enjoy, and with your input, I would like to *finally* move on and stop floundering!