Best store to get fitted for running shoes?

13»

Replies

• Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    No one's had any luck with nationwide sports stores, eh?

Nope. I get fitted at Fleet Feet. They measure your feet for size and arches and watch you walk and run barefoot in the store. Then they not only fit you for the type of running shoe you need but also any insoles that may help you. They usually give you 3 shoe choices, all with different price points. What's great about this is once you get your insoles and ensure you have the best shoe for you, you can go to national chain stores or shop internet sales to get better prices. I ALWAYS buy the first pair at their store though; they put all the effort in to helping me find the right shoe, I'm not going to be a TOTAL *kitten*.

Unfortunately... there are no Fleet Feet stores in Michigan. That being said, I would expect nothing less than the above from wherever you DO decide to shop.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Go to a couple different one. You're not obligated to buy anything. If after a while they are all telling you the same thing then buy what they recommended (at the cheapest store).
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    even going to a dedicated running store may not necessarily get you the *right* shoe...sales staff are heavily incentivised to sell certain brands and styles. You could get an independent gait analysis done and then pick the right shoe based on the findings of your gait analysis rather than let a staff member choose them 'for' you.

This isn't always the case. It's not the case at the store that I go to, nor is it the case at a store in MA where a friend works. They always just bring out everything that is the right shoe in all available brands. I've never been pushed toward one brand or another. I don't think they are even commissioned sales at most places.

This has been my experience as well. They brought out about 6 or 7 different shoes and had me try all of them. She didn't show any kind of bias toward one brand or another. This was at local stores.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member

You should go to a local running store the sales people usually are very knowladgeable (runners themselves) and will get you a good shoe with a good fit. Once you get fitted for a pair you like purchase them anywhere you like. The prices are very comparable to the big chain stores and some of the shoes ive found work for me are not even available at the big chain stores.

The other good thing abotu a running store is that if you buy the shoes they've recommended for you and you absolutely despise running in them, they'll take them back and try again.

This! A running specialty store may cost you a little but more, but they will stand behind what they sell you and will offer exchanges or returns. The store I use has a 30 day "no questions asked" return policy. Most chains will not take back shoes if you have worn them outside at all.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/

One of the best online merchant I have done business with. They will let you return shoes that you have run in, no questions; and their prices cant be beat.

Sign up with Runner's World and you can get a discount. (gotta ask around for the code)

I do not have any affiliation with this store.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    http://www.runningfit.com/

You could give these guys a whirl. They have locations in your area. I know absolutely nothing about them. If they're doing it right, they will watch you walk and run on a treadmill to see what your feet are doing...from there, they should be able to determine your pronation...or whether you're neutral. They should measure and bring you a few different brands of shoes to make sure they're getting it right and the particular shoe is not only a good fit, but comfortable for you as well.

It's a somewhat difficult question to answer because most true running specific stores that do it right are local/regional, not big chain shoe stores.

That's alright, this answer is pretty much what I was looking for... I should rule out bigger chain stores and just look locally is what I figured, but it didn't hurt to ask.

Looks like Running Fits are hit or miss according to Yelp, but if I get the whole shpeel you mentioned, hopefully it can't go wrong.

I feel like the passive aggressive answers have clearly never gotten "professionally" fitted for things at one store and had a hugely different answer at another :laugh: And running shoes are much more expensive than bras (but not wedding dresses). That's why I was looking for, "Oh, I had a bad experience here..." or "I've heard good things here!" That seems to only work with nationwide stores, though, so I'll rule 'em out!

Running Fit is very good. I've gone to their original store in Ann Arbor since the late 80s, they've been on the corner of 4th and Liberty for over 25 years. Tortoise and Hare is good too - in the late 80s they were in an underground storefront, but now they are out by US23 & Plymouth rd.
    The Running Fit on Jackson ave in Ann Arbor is nice, but not as good as the downtown store, but they (Jackson ave) do have the corporate offices attached.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Most of the staff at the big chains know approximately 2/3 of nothing about running and selecting an appropriate shoe. You may be able to save a couple of bucks shopping at one but there is a difference between price and value. Most running specialty shops are staffed by runners and are (usually) trained to analyze your gait.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Depends on where you live. Go to a running specialty store, not Richard's Sporting Goods.

Some of the more common ones in the US

Fleet Feet
    Road Runner Sports

Most towns have at least one, locally owned, store. Ask the Google. The Google always knows.

Richard's Sporting Goods. I.See.What.You.Did.There. :laugh:

In my area, the place to go I'm told by my Sports Medicine Dr is Running Ect.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Thanks guys! I'm going to try Running Fit!