What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited March 2023
    @acpgee ... how was the food at Ottolenghi? I have one of his cookbooks and everything sounds so delicious but he sure does like to include a lot of ingredients so I've never made any of his recipes.

Leftover leg of lamb from Wednesday (which was even tastier this time around), polenta w/parm, Brussel sprouts and salad of romaine, radicchio, cherry tomatoes and two types of olives spritzed with olive oil. The polenta is a little runny. I'm not sure why as I used my normal proportions.

6n04qdua9ked.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    @LazyBlondeChef
    The first time we went to Ottolenghi was maybe 8 years ago, the Islington branch which is quite small and the food was exquisite. The second time maybe 5 years ago, where we went to the new Spitalfields branch which is much larger and I found the food a little uneven. Also the style had shifted more towards strictly mezzes whereas previously they used to do ceviches and tataki's. If you don't order carefully all the dishes can be a bit same-y nowadays.

I used to say Ottolenghi's recipes are so complicated that I'd rather pay to eat at his restaurants. Someone who remembered me saying that, gave me an Ottolenghi gift voucher for my birthday. We were a little disappointed, actually. Again it was all Middle Eastern based which was not the case 10 years ago when they had a wider range of influences. A couple of the hot dishes (grilled mushrooms, sea bream, kofta) arrived just tepid. Only the chicken shoarma with toum arrived hot. Everything was tasty though. For this style of food in London I think Morito is just as good and less expensive. At Ottolenghi the hubby's favourite dish was bread with olive oil (focaccia, spicy corn bread and sour dough). My favourite was the chicken shoarma with toum. When we complained about the food temperature they packed up a couple of free desserts for us to take home.

If you like Ottolenghi recipes, he has a column in the Guardian, which you can read online. He also publishes recipes on his website. My favourite easy Ottolenghi recipe is the mango ice cream at the bottom of this link from his Guardian column.
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/06/yotam-ottolenghi-summer-al-fresco-feast-recipes-pork-vindaloo-slaw-mango-ice-cream
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,701 Member
    Quick snacky breakfast on my way to the airport; gf maple scone and a large latte
    wegvysx5iujy.jpg
    On the AirTran to the terminal now
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited March 2023
    @acpgee I read the Guardian at times and have seen his columns and it's not unusual to see comments about the excessive ingredient list. I think if you use the ingredients regularly it's not so much of a problem but you probably have the same issue I do when cooking for two. One can have only so many leftovers before running out of time or freezer space.

The mango ice cream sounds good. So does the pickled fried rice and I'm not a huge fried rice fan though partner is. Thanks for the links. I've bookmarked them for future reference.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 434 Member
    mjk29z5bmln3.jpeg
    Why are good green beans so hard to find? Finally able to satisfy a craving: s&p tofu, green beans w garlic, garlic chili oil, sesame seeds, green onions. Rice. Honey crisp apple (first time, I had no idea honey crisp were this good/sweet!)
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 434 Member
    u45hgohnqb8u.jpeg
    6bkuiaz7qgk4.jpeg
    Lunch was salmon with a mustardy glaze. (The stone ground mustard was very strong). Rice and carrots.

Dinner is homemade broccoli soup. Made a lot more than I intended, may have to freeze a couple of servings.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited March 2023
    Homemade curried chicken with assorted veggies (added near end of cooking, to blanch: broccoli, green pepper, leftover frozen veg mix). Over brown rice. 2nd attempt with this recipe since January; the sauce came out thinner than last time, yet still very tasty. Next time ... we'll see. MFP approximates this serving as: 621 cals, 48g protein, 20g fat, 68g carbs. Coconut oil and coconut milk added most of the fat.

uutna1jl0iqg.jpg
  • purple8806
    purple8806 Posts: 1 Member
    wqys0w799ocl.jpeg
    ccko5k803wpp.jpeg
    I made seafood Alfredo and fried chicken. Not the healthiest but the family wanted it.