What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 459 Member
    xa4nvxbc8c6u.jpeg
    Post long run. Not pictured: 2 bowls of pretzels and a protein drink. Long run was 1 hr. The mushroom sampler from Costco is amazing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,864 Member
    We're going to Canada tomorrow to visit mom before I start a new job. Tapas dinner is a good way to use up small quantities of veg lingering at the bottom of the fridge, never mind little bits of leftover meat.
    I baked two batches of focaccia because I accidentally tore a bag of bread flour while putting away the groceries last night. Using the excess for sandwiches to take to the airport seeing as airport food tends to be both expensive and yucky. The cross section of the big loaf used the Emma Fontanella schedule of stretching and folding followed by an overnight cold prove in the refrigerator. The cross section of the small loaf used the Chef John schedule of first proving at room temperature overnight followed by a series of stretch and folds. Colour differences are due to different brands of flour, I think.
    9tbm2kz920ef.jpeg
    ijlg4y21fgr0.jpeg
    qdu4imyhn3u8.jpeg

• acpgee
    Air Canada economy service Heathrow to Halifax.
    x08gp7m2czz6.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,288 Member
    Brunch

🍴 Wild Salmon, Cauli mash, bell pepper, cucumber

🍹 kale- pomegranate- spinach juice (with pulp)

🍨 blueberries

t0rnfbrgktvb.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,193 Member
    Brunch

🍴 Wild Salmon, Cauli mash, bell pepper, cucumber

🍹 kale- pomegranate- spinach juice (with pulp)

🍨 blueberries

i once had a grilled salmon with blueberry relish in maine. now i have a hankering to recreate, lol. maybe later this summer.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,089 Member
    AmunahSki wrote: »
    AmunahSki wrote: »
    Bang Bang Chicken Salad from our local waffle house (I have it without the waffle!)… the dressing is satay-style, and it has pickled ginger on top. Absolutely delicious!
    fsd9vnx38qbh.jpeg

My homemade version! The ginger is mixed in rather than on top…
    p9li7f2ou8eo.jpeg

Your version looks better!
  • mjbnj0001
    For a busy summer Saturday evening, I was looking for something somewhat light, easy and fast to make. I pulled a recipe for "Spanish Chick Peas and Eggs" ("Garbanzos con Heuvos") from my backlog. Extremely easy, fairly fast (45 min from decision, to ingredient check, chopping, cooking and plating). I took my inspiration from the website/Youtube channel, "Spain on a Fork."

Here's the YT link: https://youtu.be/dcX1iRJJ7QI

I "ad libbed" a bit, adding diced green bell peppers, sliced cherry tomatoes, and added a little heat with red pepper flakes.

I haven't computed my macros yet, but I'm assuming peas and veg would be fairly healthy. Proteinaceous too. In the pic, I sliced open the poached egg to show the yolk. Star of the show.

vsllya3x2n0h.jpg
  • acpgee
    Food at mom’s nursing home is usually decent but tonight it was gross excepting the green salad starter. Poorer quality kitchen staff on the weekends?
    05cjjfxdh49f.jpeg
    p2dpfl1lhv83.jpeg
    786ws58sebpk.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    acpgee wrote: »
    Food at mom’s nursing home is usually decent but tonight it was gross excepting the green salad starter. Poorer quality kitchen staff on the weekends?

words fail.
  • acpgee
    Food at mom’s nursing home was back to the usual standard today. They gave me a huge portion of dessert. hwmqmu29zc68.jpeg
    as90mrpztwru.jpeg
    8nx1erpg6vmd.jpeg
  • acpgee
    @mjbnj0001
    Clever that you do your bread dough in those tupperware containers to presumably to avoid the use of disposable plastic wraps. As I don't own large food boxes, I have been doing my super hydrated doughs in casserole pots that have a tight fitting lid for the same purpose.
  • acpgee
    Dinner at mom’s nursing home. In celebration of Canada day, beaver tails (=flat cinnamon doughnuts) and maple ice cream were on offer for dessert.
    uwjbfoab6htj.jpeg
    rzggos359i9h.jpeg
    vdmcmb9mo4b5.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    @mjbnj0001
    Clever that you do your bread dough in those tupperware containers to presumably to avoid the use of disposable plastic wraps. As I don't own large food boxes, I have been doing my super hydrated doughs in casserole pots that have a tight fitting lid for the same purpose.

Thanks, yes. I have been doing longer-term room-temp countertop proofing this year, so they work well. I affix one of the 4 latches to keep the lid on against possible misadventure, but leave the other 3 loose so any excess co2 pressure can escape.

When I first starting baking bread some years ago, I used a method that forced the first proof into 90 minutes through a slightly warmed environment. Slightly preheating the oven then letting the retained residual heat worked out OK. For this, I used stainless mixing bowls and Al foil to cover. I got 5 or more uses out of the foil before the repeated crinkle got to be to much and it broke down. It depended on how gentle I was with it.

When we downsized into this retirement home in 2022, the new oven came with a proofing feature. IMHO it's too warm, so I don't use it ... often. I still tinker with recipes, LOL, and revert to metal proofing containers when I go this route. We've talked about getting a dedicated warm proofing box, but really don't want to clutter up the countertop with a new resident appliance. I have a mill I want to colonize the countertop with anyway, lol.

• mjbnj0001
    Dinner at mom’s nursing home. In celebration of Canada day, beaver tails (=flat cinnamon doughnuts) and maple ice cream were on offer for dessert.

Beavertails! I know you're in Toronto area for family, but if you ever wind your way to Ottawa, in the Byward Market area, there's a beavertail vendor with a good assortment of options. They do serious damage to my dietary intentions, LOL.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,405 Member
    Yum! Still looking to trying focaccia. Will look back re yogurt.

Question @acpgee @mjbnj0001 Re stainless casserole tight fitted lid or foil? Should a lid be lifted to off gas when proving? Decades ago, did some bread in large glass bowl covered with linen kitchen towel which would be more porous than foil, more porous at edge than tight fitted lid... thoughts?

vmipvp63fpwd.jpg
    Torn rotisserie chicken in sauce, grated parm, over noodles, green beans