What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Gnocchi w tomato sauce and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.1y9wccyygx9o.jpg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Whole wheat pasta w mixed mushrooms.cmtvzzbq4zf5.jpg

😋 May I ask what kind of mushroom(s) you used?
  • snowflake954
    It was a bag of frozen mushrooms-30% porcini, then the rest is in latin, agaricus bisporus, pholiota nameko mutabilis, pleurotus ostreatus, and lentinus edodes. I recognized them from the photo on the bag--champinion, chiodini, and a few others.
  • snowflake954
    MaltedTea wrote: »

4odubifd4r2d.jpg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea wrote: »

4odubifd4r2d.jpg

Looks super tasty @snowflake954. It's hard to go wrong with mushrooms!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Cambodian beef lok lak served with khmer lime and pepper sauce.
    fpf3x39kdwg0.jpeg

• snowflake954
    Pasta with lentils.yju19pv5umi0.jpg
  • snowflake954
    Grilled octopus with microgreens, sea vegetables, squid ink hummus and white wine herb aioli.

oyki2oapub33.jpeg

This looks just lovely--great pic and colors.
  • snowflake954
    Zucchine stuffed w rice and mozzarella.0qrgpf5q46ss.jpg
    ozebxwgpqlz7.jpg
  • acpgee
    We ate out here and both ordered the discounted weeknight during the pandemic menu. https://smokestak.co.uk/four-for-fifteen/
    e6ndjzov8pfy.jpeg
    kpmaik33ptkd.jpeg
    ry52ie0nk2hx.jpeg
    sidadl908u4w.jpeg

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @acpgee What can I do with a big box of spinach leaves. I sauteed up a big pan and made an omelette. I tried to cover the taste with pico and hatch chile salsa. I'm eating a big pan of all kinds of greens every day. I started that a few weeks ago. I'm not doing it for volume eating but for something else. It's really working but I don't like the taste of spinach. How can I smother it.
  • MaltedTea
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @acpgee What can I do with a big box of spinach leaves. I sauteed up a big pan and made an omelette. I tried to cover the taste with pico and hatch chile salsa. I'm eating a big pan of all kinds of greens every day. I started that a few weeks ago. I'm not doing it for volume eating but for something else. It's really working but I don't like the taste of spinach. How can I smother it.

Oxalates?

I have not the culinary skills of a toddler, let alone @acpgee of the others in this thread but does your experiment allow you to roast or blend the stuff?

If so, try seasonal fruit and serve it up as a dessert alternative.

Dry it out and shake in on your rice or other choice side (like a homemade furikake)

You could also "hide" it in stews (like chili, for example)

And then of course, smoothies. So. Many. Smoothies.
  • acpgee

If you are going western, sautee some finely diced, grated, or pressed garlic and butter until the garlic colours and toss in the spinach until wilted. If you don't like the flavour of spinach wilt down well. Season with salt and pepper and eventually truffle oil.

If you are going asian use vegetable oil instead of butter and add diced ginger and a pinch of sugar to the garlic and toss in some soy or fish sauce and do it in a wok. If you have a kitchen blow torch, use that to get a smokey aroma on the greens. Finish with a few drops of sesame oil, if you need to camouflage the spinach further.

Vietnamese watercress soup but substitute spinach.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-make-vietnamese-canh

• acpgee

If you don't mind fiddly cooks, blitz the spinach with feta cheese and garlic and use as a filling for ravioli. Use frozen wonton wrappers from the Asian supermarket instead of making your own pasta. Brush a little egg white to seal the edges.

I make something similar to spanikopita (google that) using ready made phyllo or frozen Chinese spring roll wrappers folded into a samosa shape. You can brush these with oil and bake or air fry instead of deep frying. I seal edges by brushing on some egg white. Excess can be frozen prior to cooking on a tray, then transferred ziplock bags.

Picture of the last time I did something similar with Chinese spring roll wrappers. These were cooked from raw frozen in the air fryer about 10-12 minutes at 200C. They had been brushed with vegetable oil prior to freezing.
    znwqc1c6119f.jpeg

• acpgee

Last comment. A lot of people dislike spinach because it is alkaline so gives that chalky mouth feel. See if adding something acidic like lemon, lime, or vinegar helps in you appreciation for spinach.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Pasta w pinto beans--Pasta Fagioli.dg8iyvzpb8z8.jpg

Looks delicious! What shape of pasta is that? 😋
  • snowflake954
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Pasta w pinto beans--Pasta Fagioli.dg8iyvzpb8z8.jpg

Looks delicious! What shape of pasta is that? 😋

It's made by "La Molisana" called Pantacce Toscane n°106. It's a Tuscany style pasta.