What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    @snowflake954 Perhaps I missed you mentioning this before but is there a reason or inspiration behind your rustic eating? You make super simple dishes very wholesome and tasty looking!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    @snowflake954 Perhaps I missed you mentioning this before but is there a reason or inspiration behind your rustic eating? You make super simple dishes very wholesome and tasty looking!

Italian cooking can be very simple but with quality ingredients. I cook for 4 men and my DIL frequently, for sure 3 men daily. They want it simple. Too many spices (sometimes I think it's just a minimum) and my second son will say something and push his plate away. I've had a couple of fights over it and it's not worth it. I'd like to be a little more creative, but it is what it is.
  • MaltedTea

Italian cooking can be very simple but with quality ingredients. I cook for 4 men and my DIL frequently, for sure 3 men daily. They want it simple. Too many spices (sometimes I think it's just a minimum) and my second son will say something and push his plate away. I've had a couple of fights over it and it's not worth it. I'd like to be a little more creative, but it is what it is.

I'm so nosey right now (my apologies) but which region(s) of Italy is your cooking from? I'd like to try, well attempt and likely fail but - you know - effort counts for something.
  • snowflake954

I'm so nosey right now (my apologies) but which region(s) of Italy is your cooking from? I'd like to try, well attempt and likely fail but - you know - effort counts for something.

When I married my Italian husband and moved to Italy 35 yrs ago, I got a crash course in Italian and cooking from his mother and 2 aunts. They were from Puglia (southern Italy) but living in Rome. Picture this: 3 little old short ladies dressed in black (because all widows), and a tall blonde American girl of Polish heritage that spoke little Italian. It was hilarious.

If you want to get into some Italian cooking, today it's easy with Google. All the regions have specialties and that makes it fun. You might have to substitute ingredients. Benedetta Parody has some great recipes. She used to do a cooking show and I liked her. She had one part where she had to put together a meal in a short time frame and was always rushing to finish--that's usually me. Most of my cooking is from Central to South Italy. If I can help, give me a call.
  • MaltedTea
    @snowflake954 What a breakdown! Thank you for entertaining my being nosey. Loved the visual of all the Nonnas teaching you 😍

@senalay788 Agreed! Italian restaurants aren't my thing but then again I've never seen any of them mix pasta and beans (other than in soup) so I'm up to learning!
  • snowflake954
    senalay788 wrote: »
    @snowflake954

Sea bream is one of my absolute fav fish to butterfly and grill.

Yes--it would be terrific grilled, but I live in an apartment in the city and it's not possible. I love watching your grilled photos. :)

Got a broiler in your oven?
    Butterlfy the fish, spread garlic butter on top, place under the broiler for few minutes... just not too close to the actual heat elements. Done.

Yes I have a broiler but my oven is ancient and needs replacement. The broiler could only do 1 fish at a time and I did 3 large ones. However, a new oven is on my list, and I will definitely take your advice--it's always spot on.
  • snowflake954
    @snowflake954 What a breakdown! Thank you for entertaining my being nosey. Loved the visual of all the Nonnas teaching you 😍

@senalay788 Agreed! Italian restaurants aren't my thing but then again I've never seen any of them mix pasta and beans (other than in soup) so I'm up to learning!

Because simple Italian food would not sell here.
    Italians are not all about spaghetti in copious amount of cheese and sauce.

So right--and what I'm cooking on here you can find in the restaurants. Pasta e ceci (pasta and chickpeas)is a classic dish. My other dishes are also on the menus.
  • v0ti0hyq7w9n.jpg

Char si pork in fried rice, with two crab rangoons. I measured it. That's allllll mine.
  • MandiSaysHey
    MandiSaysHey Posts: 304 Member
    I don't often take pics of my food, but here is one from the other day. I mad turkey and veggie stuffed peppers. Thw stuffing is made with ground Turkey, fresh diced mushroom, onion, zuchini, and spinach and canned diced tomatoes. Put it inside halved bell peppers and melted swiss cheese on top. Less than 500 call, even less if you go without the cheese. cbc9y8afx87j.jpg
  • MandiSaysHey
    MandiSaysHey Posts: 304 Member
    Here is just the filling from the above stuffed peppers, I had leftover which was good over a salad and inside a quesadilla. Would prob be great over pasta/zuchini noodles also

tz112kie6ka6.jpg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Grilled octopus with microgreens, sea vegetables, squid ink hummus and white wine herb aioli.

oyki2oapub33.jpeg

This looks just lovely--great pic and colors.

Thanks @snowflake954 !! 🤗
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Homemade szechuan takeaway. Di san xian, cumin beef, rice.
    j3a1wl2sghdn.jpeg
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    innio5a08e5s.jpeg

So I bought some butternut squash risotto from the frozen section at Trader Joes and didn’t realize it was cauliflower rice risotto until I got home! It’s fine, I like cauliflower so I had some today for lunch. I stirred in some leftover quinoa to make it a little more filling.

It’s decent. Not risotto by any stretch of the imagination, but decent flavor. It’s more a fall vegetable mash/medley/puree in my opinion. Still very low cal and good as the base for a quick meal!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Just a sandwich! Sprouted grain bread with cured Copper River wild salmon, onion, herbs and avocado! The wild salmon was really good though!

1x6z3vc8qkco.jpeg
  • MaltedTea
    Foraged chanterelles.

4i83i5uui6s7.jpg

You got the mushrooms yourself? 🧐
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2020
    140cal
    30g protein
    3 ingredients

kzdzm7bbd4ia.jpg

@senalay788
    Neat-o!!

May I ask for the recipe and method? (I'd be shocked if other Pals aren't curious!!)

The photograph reminds me of something I frequently make - what I call "Egg white floofs". :)
    Similar to your concoction, it comprises minimal ingredients - only 2, technically 1: Egg whites and opitional seasonings.

Thank you for sharing!! Thrive on :)