Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• acpgeeacpgee Member Posts: 5,940 Member Member Posts: 5,940 Member
    Trying to create some space in the freezer. One of the gratin dauphinoise I made a few weekends ago with a lamb cutlet and greek salad.
    zktf22vuceq3.jpeg
    Lunch was leftovers from last night's seafood boil.
    z1fdos55y1l8.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_Safari_Gal_ Member Posts: 1,302 Member Member Posts: 1,302 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Putanesca.

ycf1objq30fp.jpg

☺️ My significant other from Rome 🇮🇹 calls puttanesca the “bad girl sauce” lol

Looks tasty!! 😋
    edited November 2020
  • o0Firekeeper0oo0Firekeeper0o Member Posts: 295 Member Member Posts: 295 Member
    wkk0q3rn2r78.jpeg
    8an4btji7pjv.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dinner:
    Marinated, pan-seared venison backstrap
    Roasted brussles sprouts with butter/dijon/brown sugar sauce
    Classic mashed potatoes
    Gravy of red wine and venison stock
    Hawaiian rolls and butter

Dessert:
    Homemade Rice Krispy treats
    Gingerbread sandwich cookies from Trader Joes
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 6,550 Member Member Posts: 6,550 Member
    Putanesca.

ycf1objq30fp.jpg

Looks tasty!! 😋

Well--that's because "puttana" in Italian means "lady of the streets".
    Putanesca.

ycf1objq30fp.jpg

Looks tasty!! 😋

Well--that's because "puttana" in Italian means "lady of the streets".

😉 si

When I read the Sandro Petti story I remember "Facci una puttanata qualsiasi" being translated as "Throw together some crap". When he put it on the menu he didn't want to use crap=puttanata so used puttanesca instead. I would need an Italian speaker to tell me whether this could be correct.
    Ahh puttanesca sauce. Perché questo nome? (Why this name?)

I had to consult with my mother in law - born and raised Roman - who was highly amused to be asked. Lol.

She doesn’t know of the correct origin - but the legend is that Puttanesca sauce has a great scent... And the etymology is “puttana” .... so you could smell the heavy cologne in the streets at night - ergo — this highly scented sauce.

Correct or no? I dunno... but that’s the word on the street.. (pun?? ☺️)

Re: 💩: puttanata - there is a phrase “non dire puttanate / don’t talk rubbish or BS”

I have also read the story from a chef in the 50s / whose friends came over and said “Facci una puttanata qualsiasi” (Make any kind of crap...)

Not sure if the correct origin will ever be agreed upon..

*But - I have to add - I hope everyone is using anchovies and capers in their puttanesca sauce or the crime is real... capisci?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Side note: it’s now been 10ish months since we have been back to Italy. The longest my spouse has been away since birth. My garden is overgrown and the house has been shuttered.
    I’ll have to get a big plate of Puttanesca upon return and take a photo as soon as we land. 🙌🏻
    Tonight's dinner was about management of leftovers. There was a carrot and a stalk of celery languishing at the bottom of the produce drawer that went into the chicken and veg stir fry that also used up some leftover chicken gravy. Leftover Jamaican peppered steak from our Caribbean takeaway on Wednesday night was asian-ified by warming up with fried onion and soy sauce
    if4wiv5exsi0.jpeg
    I've also heard the puttaneca is considered a bit slatternly because no fresh ingredients are involved. Tinned tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, onion, anchovies, chilli flakes.
  • o0Firekeeper0oo0Firekeeper0o Member Posts: 295 Member Member Posts: 295 Member
    rpoirw16f00x.jpeg

A light dinner because I had a cheeky Thai iced tea today :#
  • BarbaraHelen2013BarbaraHelen2013 Member Posts: 1,568 Member Member Posts: 1,568 Member
    1nbfoc00e8dr.jpeg

I’m trying to clear freezer space too, to facilitate Christmas prep. So Lentil & Veg Kofta from the freezer on a bed of roasted peppers and tomato/parsley pearled spelt. I’d forgotten how good those Kofta are!
  • Ironwoman1111Ironwoman1111 Member Posts: 1,817 Member Member Posts: 1,817 Member
    Grilled Italian sausage, steamed jasmine rice, grilled onions/peppers with basil pesto and a Romaine lettuce salad with baby cucumbers, shredded carrots, croutons and some dressing.👩🏽‍🍳

zllpdx502eoy.jpeg

edited November 2020