What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Spaghetti w cicchalli.d37he49prbtr.jpg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member

🤔 Mais c'est quoi la p'tite espèce de bête?! Google translate also does not know what a cicchalli is. A crustacean of some sort? I am ready to be enlightened...and fed 😋
  • snowflake954
    edited January 2021
    MaltedTea wrote: »

🤔 Mais c'est quoi la p'tite espèce de bête?! Google translate also does not know what a cicchalli is. A crustacean of some sort? I am ready to be enlightened...and fed 😋

These are crustaceans but are a family different from scampi, shrimp, or lobster. They have many different names: cicala di mare, canocchia, pannocchia, magnosella, batti batti,....... They look like a big insect--hence their name. They have those two big spots on the tail that look like eyes to confuse predators.

They are so tasty. There's not much meat in the flat tail, but it has the best flavor. I threw them in heated EVOO w a garlic clove, cayenne pepper flakes, black pepper, some veg broth (bullion), and once they turn pinkish (like shrimp) after 5 min, a little white wine or beer on top. Cook another minute. When the spaghetti is al dente and drained, I just add the sauce and stir. Everyone puts their own cicala on top.

PS: When in Rome let me know, however, these are seasonal.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Thank you for the lesson! There's so much food I need to eat lol Your squilla mantis or "long bodied crab"

https://eol.org/pages/1022627

...is now on the list as it's apparently easier to get in parts of Europe and Africa.
  • snowflake954
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Thank you for the lesson! There's so much food I need to eat lol Your squilla mantis or "long bodied crab"

https://eol.org/pages/1022627

...is now on the list as it's apparently easier to get in parts of Europe and Africa.

Yup--that's him. I love knowing about food and where it comes from. Italy is really into this.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Our standard salad with pears, feta, toasted quinoa, candied nuts and vinaigrette. Main of pan fried sea bass fillets, hollandaise and some air fried spiralized potato.
    e1kk2k33os1g.jpeg
    jezapqgepc60.jpg

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Lamb, mashed potatoes with lamb gravy, oven roasted beets, salad of romaine, tomato & PK Caesar dressing. I infused the lamb juices with some with rosemary sprigs prior to making the gravy which gave it a nice flavor.

hyunf9tmkvae.jpg

The lamb looks lovely and moist. I poke holes with a knife then insert fresh slivers of garlic and fresh rosemary into mine. Works so well with lamb. Did you use shoulder or leg? Shoulder I'm guessing. It stays much more tender especially with long slow cooking or pressure cooking. Not sure why but I can't handle roasted beetroot. It tends to taste like dirt for some reason to me. I love it otherwise especially pickled or in borscht. Let me know how you do yours.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ol9pxnfkqo78.jpg

Breakfast. Avocado toast with smoked salmon.

That looks perfect!
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited January 2021
    @mockchoc I cube the beet, coat w/olive oil, add seasoning and put it in the oven for about an hour. I'm always surprised at how long it takes in spite of the small cubes. They get slightly carmelized. One time I spiralized it instead and it cooked much faster.

It was a leg of lamb that I slow cooked the day before with nothing but garlic. I would have put rosemary with it too but I didn't have any until later in the day when I went to the store which is why I put it in the lamb broth prior to making the gravy.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    The usual salad with feta, pears, candied nuts as a starter. Main of air fried drumsticks tossed in Korean BBQ sauce, roast potatoes, and stir fried mung bean sprouts.
    5xof75jzh92e.jpg
    2yys2p94d37d.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ^^this looks way too good! What does 'KA SD crackers' mean? They look quite good.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    ^^this looks way too good! What does 'KA SD crackers' mean? They look quite good.
    Sorry, my phone was being slow and I got lazy typing. They are King Arthur (flour) sourdough crackers and they are soooo easy and good!! Would completely recommend. The King Arthur recipes I’ve tried from their website have all been fantastic