so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• lindseymaekeller
    Options
    Let me start off by saying I am not a "gym snob" like many here refer to. I don't mind the influx of people. I do, however, mind the influx of people that are not there to workout, but to hang out. I watched a guy literally steal someone else's bench so he could do crunches on it. He sat down on the bench while someone else was using it, started to do crunches WHILE ON HIS CELL PHONE and was crunching into the guy whose bench he stole. Seriously? Rude. Then there's the people that just sit on a machine and take up space. They don't actually use it, they just hang their towel on it. I now have enough balls to walk up to those people and ask to work in. A few years ago I wouldn't have bothered.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

You can do it, don't quit!...
    Thank you! I don't plan on it, but it is discouraging for those of us who are very self concious about ourselves.

the moajority of people arent like the few posting on this thread... it takes alot of personal unhappiness to be so vile against others who are trying to better thamselves... the gym can be very awesome, just go, and dont worry about anything!!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    It's so terrible! I want to believe that these people are there to make life changes, and I support that! My thoughts are just that why wait until January 1st? Both times I have been on this journey I've started mid-year...you're more likely to get up and moving when the weather is nicer. I just don't get the girls that primp in front of the mirror in the free weights area. I understand looking at your form, but not doing your hair....smh

so... september is a better month to join a gym than january? being a "newbie" in september is any different than being a "newbie" in january??? why did you wait all the way until september? why not may? may is much better...
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Mine was quite crowded but not as bad as I had thought it'd be - I will still able to park my car (vital for being able to stop and go in) AND got the machine of my choice...My brother goes to the same gym (planet fitness) and said that Monday (pizza night - which I still dont get....but that's another story) was rediculous!

I typically stay away on pizza night, because I dont feel like fighting for a machine just because of pizza....(which did I mention I dont get it)
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    OP - PS - I like that term, and will probably steal it - Resolutionists! :happy:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    Mine was quite crowded but not as bad as I had thought it'd be - I will still able to park my car (vital for being able to stop and go in) AND got the machine of my choice...My brother goes to the same gym (planet fitness) and said that Monday (pizza night - which I still dont get....but that's another story) was rediculous!

I typically stay away on pizza night, because I dont feel like fighting for a machine just because of pizza....(which did I mention I dont get it)

PIZZA NIGHT? AT THE GYM? HUH? LOL
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I go everyday on my lunch break and the 'newbies' I see are always university students that sit in the locker room or on the bikes and chat with each other or are on their phones. So, nothing crazy this year. The craziness hits my regular gym around spring/summer when the highschool students come - that's torture! I did a couple of classes this week as well, they weren't too bad. I'm sure mornings are far more busy.

Either way, I stick my headphones in and work my *kitten* off regardless! I know today I probably pissed a few people off in the weight room because I took up a bench and an area that was meant for 2 people because I was doing circuts with weights and needed both areas to do what I needed to do. However, there were 3 other benches that were available, so screw them :P One thing that really annoyed me was this chick beside me, I was doing my workout, and she was copying everything I was doing ONLY she would do it a bit differently, use a crazy high weight and not be able to finish a set of more then 6 or 7 reps, then taking long *kitten* breaks because she looked like she was going to pass out. Wthell was she trying to prove? Anyway... I guess some women get competitive in the weight room just as guys do :P
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It's so terrible! I want to believe that these people are there to make life changes, and I support that! My thoughts are just that why wait until January 1st? Both times I have been on this journey I've started mid-year...you're more likely to get up and moving when the weather is nicer. I just don't get the girls that primp in front of the mirror in the free weights area. I understand looking at your form, but not doing your hair....smh

so... september is a better month to join a gym than january? being a "newbie" in september is any different than being a "newbie" in january??? why did you wait all the way until september? why not may? may is much better...

13 pages of this thread should alert you to the perils of being a Newbie in January. Everyone will look at you like you are kidding yourself and going to fail unless you are still there in March/April.

That being said... Huck the Faters. If you want to start now, start now. Most gyms will throw a good signup deal and terms your way because they don't expect you to avail yourself of their services for very long and not only do they think you are too lazy to go to the gym regularly they think you are too lazy to cancel in a timely manner if bother to cancel at all so they get 1-5 months of your gym fee for nothing as you (again way they think) are sitting on the couch eating junk food.

Go now, prove them wrong. Drink their tears of anguish

tasty, tasty tears...
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym for the first time this year on Monday - figured I'd give it a week. It was a surreal experience.

7:15PM: I couldn't find a parking space. That never happens.
    7:23PM: I couldn't use a treadmill because they were all occupied. Out of all the treadmills in use, only two people were running.
    7:24PM: I hopped on the elliptical for my warmup instead. A lady hopped on next to me and had no idea that you had to pedal to get it going, so when it didn't start she got off of it and got on another one. Rinse and repeat a few times.
    7:35PM: Warmup done, I head for the free weights. Getting a bench was a laughable idea.
    7:42PM: Enter the Pink Track Suit alongside the Newbie Who Thinks He's A Pro. Pink Track Suit did some halfhearted inclined presses with 5lb dumbbells before proceeding to sit on the chair and watch Newbie do some truly embarrassing curls. (Hey new people. I do not stare at you and judge you if you actually try, so don't worry about it. You're probably not Gym Barbie and Ken.)
    7:48PM: I piss some guy off because he was in the middle of a circuit when I took his bench press. Sorry, you didn't leave a towel or anything, how was I to know? ...Also, even when it's not crowded, it's not acceptable to hold a bench for 15 minutes.
    7:52PM: I just discovered something amazing. The newbies are scared of the squat rack, and the pros are scared of the newbies. THERE'S NO WAIT!!!
    8:02PM: Hey, yoga queen. You're just one (fairly small) person, how is it even possible to take up the ENTIRE mat area? Turn your mat 90 degrees and everyone here will get along much better.
    8:24PM: Thank God that's over. I hate January.

Let's be clear: if you're serious and you're there to work, I really do want you there. I think that's great. I just get really frustrated by people who are taking up space screwing around and who have no etiquette. So newbies, come to work and be nice and we'll get along just fine :flowerforyou:
  • jgsc6d
    jgsc6d Posts: 18
    Options
    Anybody who worries about newbies needs to get over themselves. Whatever somebody chooses to do with their bodies and their time is their own business.
  • justal313
    Options

PIZZA NIGHT? AT THE GYM? HUH? LOL

Yup once a month they have pizza on the first monday of the month. A slice of cheese won't kill you, but the gym also brings in meatlovers and other freaky pizzas that I do a double workout to have a slice or two for dinner with a salad. I won't just grab a slice on my way out the door from my workout, but my PF turned me on to a local pizza place I love now.

I have been known to take a slice or two home to take for part of my lunch the next day, but I won't eat a piece extra just because it's there..
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I actually joined my gym in April of last year. I'm just saying that anytime I hear a success story, it usually doesn't begin with "my new year's resolution last year..." but instead begins with an event that changed someone's life. Someone shouldn't choose to get in shape simply because of the time of year, where's the motivation in that? I did the resolution thing I don't know how many times....but it never worked. Nothing did until I became determined and wanted to do it. Why wait? If you decide in May, September, even December that it's time to change DON'T WAIT for some silly beginning of the year. Start while you are determined, while it's fresh in your mind. I honestly never would have went back to the gym if I had done a resolution-join. If it's over-crowded and unappealing to seasoned members, I can just imagine how daunting it would be to a newbie! Knowing that there's all these people who would be judging me (whether they are or not, or how nice they are, or even how helpful) and watching me...I would have turned and run and might not have ever returned. I also felt like I got more personalized attention from the staff and other members. Granted the staff is superb at my gym, but there's only so much they can do at one time! Getting to know them has been a huge factor that has kept me going back week after week.

I support all who are trying to change, and I would love nothing more than for all of these people who joined gyms on the 1st to succeed in their goals and make my gym crowded year-round...but as sad as it makes me, that's just simply not the case.
  • justal313
    Options
    I actually joined my gym in April of last year. I'm just saying that anytime I hear a success story, it usually doesn't begin with "my new year's resolution last year..." but instead begins with an event that changed someone's life. Someone shouldn't choose to get in shape simply because of the time of year, where's the motivation in that? I did the resolution thing I don't know how many times....but it never worked. Nothing did until I became determined and wanted to do it. Why wait? If you decide in May, September, even December that it's time to change DON'T WAIT for some silly beginning of the year. Start while you are determined, while it's fresh in your mind. I honestly never would have went back to the gym if I had done a resolution-join. If it's over-crowded and unappealing to seasoned members, I can just imagine how daunting it would be to a newbie! Knowing that there's all these people who would be judging me (whether they are or not, or how nice they are, or even how helpful) and watching me...I would have turned and run and might not have ever returned. I also felt like I got more personalized attention from the staff and other members. Granted the staff is superb at my gym, but there's only so much they can do at one time! Getting to know them has been a huge factor that has kept me going back week after week.

I support all who are trying to change, and I would love nothing more than for all of these people who joined gyms on the 1st to succeed in their goals and make my gym crowded year-round...but as sad as it makes me, that's just simply not the case.

Losing weight was one of my resolutions last year, I don't know how I would have done but on New Years day, I had Patriots tickets on the top tier of Gilette Stadium and I barely made it up to my seat without dropping dead from exhaustion and I missed kick-off because I had to keep stopping and resting on my way up.

That was probably more of a motivation than anything else. I did however keep all of my other resolutions execept "get to bed in a timely manner" but that has more to do with I generally don't go to the gym until after 9:00pm
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Losing weight was one of my resolutions last year, I don't know how I would have done but on New Years day, I had Patriots tickets on the top tier of Gilette Stadium and I barely made it up to my seat without dropping dead from exhaustion and I missed kick-off because I had to keep stopping and resting on my way up.

That was probably more of a motivation than anything else. I did however keep all of my other resolutions execept "get to bed in a timely manner" but that has more to do with I generally don't go to the gym until after 9:00pm

Congrats on your weight loss! I don't usually stick to my resolutions, so I stopped making them. The day I decided to start my journey was the day the doctor called me and told me I had a fatty liver and needed to lose weight...pronto. That scared the living daylights out of me. I changed my lifestyle the next morning.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was planning on getting some good cardio in yesterday after work. I passed by my gym and it was packed beyond belief. Trying to remember that I was once a beginner, and I give them credit. I will be doing some workouts at my home for a couple of weeks until it dies down!

That's what I've been doing. Using my stability ball and dumbbells at home along with some resistance bands.