whole grain vs whole wheat

2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I was only referencing pasta and not bread in regards to whole grain. Pasta in the context of the North American Palette and that's basically what I was referring to, is synonymous with Italian food and noodles like spaghetti, linguini, fettuccine, penne, rigatoni etc, which have always come from Italy in package form or made similarly here have not changed for decades. In that context pasta is only made from durum semolina which is a hard wheat, high in gluten and protein and have been produced this way for many, many centuries, and in Italy it's a controlled product, basically it's a protected procedure that can not be deviated from, durum wheat and water, period.

Whole wheat pasta has become popular over the last decade or so mostly from the belief that there's a big difference between whole wheat and durum semolina, which there really isn't, a little fiber, but again this type of marketing is geared to supply that demographic, who believe it's a better pasta. Not going to find many Italians eating whole wheat, simply because it can't be legally made that way, unless they call it something else. And with single digit obesity in Italy why would they care. My personal view is that regardless of the use of whole grain, it is ground down to a fine enough flour to make it work properly, otherwise it wouldn't hold together and have acceptable palatable qualities of regular pasta, so basically where is the health benefits of whole grain, even then some find it unappealing, referring to it as cardboard. Personally add vegetable fiber and other great flavors and eat the real deal, but then again I'm a chef and have a biased view of this topic.

You said "Pasta made with whole grain is a product that is designed for the health/diet industry." This is patently misleading and not the same at all as referencing popularity or marketing techniques.

Thanks but I know what durum wheat is. Are you sure your wholewheat pasta is not simply made from wholegrain durum semolina instead of refined durum semolina? Much of ours is, I just double checked a good few versions on two supermarket websites (Tesco and Asda which is Walmart family). Furthermore the OP clearly referenced wholegrain durum wheat flour!

Where are the health benefits? In the minerals as well as the fibre! Please don't pontificate on nutrition if you know nothing about it, if you have an objection on palatability grounds, be clear on that don't try to prevent westerners consuming minerals they desperately need. Adding vegetable fibre and vegetables does not make up for all the missing micronutrients. Agree some shapes are cardboardy but they are not all.

Phytic acid content in milled cereal products and breads

hera.ugr.es/doi/14995931.pdf
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member

Thanks but I am aware of that. Phytates don't bind all of any mineral nor all minerals equally.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Thanks but I am aware of that. Phytates don't bind all of any mineral nor all minerals equally.

Then you'd realize that once you account for anti nutritional factors, actual minerals absorbed makes it not all that much better than more refined grains
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member
    I was only referencing pasta and not bread in regards to whole grain. Pasta in the context of the North American Palette and that's basically what I was referring to, is synonymous with Italian food and noodles like spaghetti, linguini, fettuccine, penne, rigatoni etc, which have always come from Italy in package form or made similarly here have not changed for decades. In that context pasta is only made from durum semolina which is a hard wheat, high in gluten and protein and have been produced this way for many, many centuries, and in Italy it's a controlled product, basically it's a protected procedure that can not be deviated from, durum wheat and water, period.

Whole wheat pasta has become popular over the last decade or so mostly from the belief that there's a big difference between whole wheat and durum semolina, which there really isn't, a little fiber, but again this type of marketing is geared to supply that demographic, who believe it's a better pasta. Not going to find many Italians eating whole wheat, simply because it can't be legally made that way, unless they call it something else. And with single digit obesity in Italy why would they care. My personal view is that regardless of the use of whole grain, it is ground down to a fine enough flour to make it work properly, otherwise it wouldn't hold together and have acceptable palatable qualities of regular pasta, so basically where is the health benefits of whole grain, even then some find it unappealing, referring to it as cardboard. Personally add vegetable fiber and other great flavors and eat the real deal, but then again I'm a chef and have a biased view of this topic.

You said "Pasta made with whole grain is a product that is designed for the health/diet industry." This is patently misleading and not the same at all as referencing popularity or marketing techniques.

Thanks but I know what durum wheat is. Are you sure your wholewheat pasta is not simply made from wholegrain durum semolina instead of refined durum semolina? Much of ours is, I just double checked a good few versions on two supermarket websites (Tesco and Asda which is Walmart family). Furthermore the OP clearly referenced wholegrain durum wheat flour!

Where are the health benefits? In the minerals as well as the fibre! Please don't pontificate on nutrition if you know nothing about it, if you have an objection on palatability grounds, be clear on that don't try to prevent westerners consuming minerals they desperately need. Adding vegetable fibre and vegetables does not make up for all the missing micronutrients. Agree some shapes are cardboardy but they are not all.
    No doubt whole wheat pasta is made from whole grain durum wheat. 20 years ago there was practically no availability for whole wheat pasta, I'm old enough to remember that, and now they rival regular pasta, and they also have some really cute health monickers and some even have omega 3's added. I feel sorry for that old and tired regular pasta, it doesn't stand a chance. I'll remember not to talk about nutrition though, thanks for the tip. What are all these micronutrients found in wheat that are missing or needed that aren't in vegetables, curious.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Then you'd realize that once you account for anti nutritional factors, actual minerals absorbed makes it not all that much better than more refined grains

Does it? Would I?