The Most Important Thing You Have Learned From MFP

Replies

• NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    I don't have to deprive myself of something I want (eat in moderation)
    Running is fun and 5ks are awesome
    Challenges make me think what can i do better
    Get some confidence (nothing will happen unless I make it happen)
    GIFs are hilarious
    Food is not thy enemy but rather something I need to live, so don't starve
    Ignore all the haters :drinker:
    Weight loss=lifestyle change+support network
    This is a marathon, not a sprint (so patience)

Threads can go from being funny to "that escalated quickly" :laugh:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    That the forums are rarely a good place to get usable advice
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    To be kind.

You can never know what people are going through and how much a few simple, kind words can help them.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    That many people are totally clueless the amount of mis-information is mind boggling. And that 99% of the time people greatly over complicate things.
    x infinity.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Every single one of us is different......what works for me may not for you and vice versa.

I never tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do.....only what did or didn't work for me.
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    When it came time to the scale........ ALCOHOL, was not my friend... :drinker: :drinker:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Every single one of us is different......what works for me may not for you and vice versa.

I never tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do.....only what did or didn't work for me.
    Some believe they are super humans that can defy the laws thermodynamics. While we all are "different", we all still must follow the same basic rules.

The problem is not telling others what they should or shouldn't do. The problem lies with people not having an open mind.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    Log the intake sober, cruise the forums blind drunk.

this is generally always true. for every activity you must do sober, there is a related activity that is better done drunk.

______________ sober, ______________ blind drunk.

example,

arrive at the pub sober, leave the pub blind drunk.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    be consistent.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    During my 1.5 years on MFP, these are the main lessons that I've learned:

1. Cardio may burn calories, but it doesn't shape my body, and so I MUST add resistance training. That said, a large variety or exercises and a rest day are essential for me so that I don't get bored or burn out. I used to run 50 miles or so per week, but was still getting sub-par 5K times. With no running training, I ran a half marathon in 1:53 this fall. Yay resistance training.

2. Breakfast must be a good 300-500 cal combination of carbs/fat/protein so that I start my day off right and my metabolism revving. The days that I don't eat a good breakfast end up bad eating days all together.

3. 1800-2800 calories (my normal calories range depending on the amount of exercise I do) can be a lot if I am eating nutrient-rich food. BUT, pizza and ice cream sandwiches sure seem to make it add up quickly.

4. I need to space out my intake during the day, preferably eating SOMETHING, if only a few almonds every 2-3 hours. When I do this, I don't feel as hungry at night, which used to be my binge time.

5. After bad eating days (as in huge binges), the only thing you can do is get back on MFP, shake it off, and start logging again.

6. Slow and steady. I've lost 20 pounds in 1.5 years, which may not seem like a lot, but I am able to be happy with my lifestyle and body for the first time in living memory and that it the important thing.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    That this is a JOURNEY.... that even if you fall off for a day or tow, you can get RIGHT BACK ON TRACK the next day.... you dont have to stay off the wagon...... BIGGEST HELP to me... cuz as soonas I fell off, I wouls stay off. But now i DONT..... YAAAAY! This is my year to get this weight OFF and KEEP it off! Yaay! :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    That everything I had been taught as "common sense" about losing weight and getting fitter was a joke. The eat less and move more, restrict your diet, stick to these spot training moves was just a bunch of advertising bull**** that magazines, DVD's, and some personal trainers use to suck you in so that they can try to feed you a quick fix until they hand you the next quick fix . . . brain washing is what it really is . . . nothing but a heap of bullsh*t.

Hard work, eating enough to achieve the results you want, lifting heavy, and working the heart will get you everywhere.

[I've also learned that I hate the word journey]
  • romare777
    romare777 Posts: 6 Member
    Log in everyday... and don't take breaks, otherwise the weight might come back on. Exercise too.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    You can troll people by starting posts with "paleo" or "Dr. Oz"
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Don't forget when to use "less" and when to use "fewer".
    I learned that I am an above-average speller.

And that there are startling numbers of people that don't know the difference between your and you're, too and to, loose and lose, there and their and they're, etc.

And the difference between then and than, weigh and weight and weighed. It's amazing how many people can't spell protein (protien) even though it's one of the macros MFP has listed on the daily logging chart.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I learned:

- Poe's law hasn't stopped being true.

- a lot of people have very irrational fears of sodium, MSG, and artificial sweeteners.

- some people have a very unhealthy relationship with food, and see food in a very different way than I do.

- some people attach their giant bloated ego and self-worth to everything they attempt, think they should be superhuman and set goals accordingly, and then consider any outcome less than total perfection to be some sort of horrible character flaw that deserves self-loathing and/or punishment.

- what FUPA means. (And thigh gap.)

- food can serve two functions, to nourish the body and to provide pleasure, and that almost all foods do only one of those. Many people get fat by being extremists and eating foods that only do the latter, and then respond by being extremists in the opposite direction and becoming afraid of eating anything for pleasure. But by finding a reasonable balance between those two, you can nourish your body with good foods and also enjoy pleasure foods while maintaining good health.

- picking up heavy things is awesome!

- you don't have to have ever set foot in a gym to appreciate gym memes.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Your calories represent FOOD, and some of it is NOT good for you. I could consume only 1,000 calories, dominated by sugar and fat each day with very bad results; or I can choose options to nourish my body in a way that will spell success. My food diary should reflect my daily plan to live a healthier way of life.

I am still new at MFP, so this is a recent revelation.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Diet and exercise actually work!

And after spending about a day here, I was ready to never hear "lifestyle change" and "journey" ever, ever again. If I didn't care about wasting calories on alcoholic beverages, I could get hammered so fast by inventing an MFP drinking game using those two terms :-).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    How to keep my fitness maintenance sustainable, so I do not get burned out.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    I have learned so many valuable things from my friends here on mfp. I think the most valuable one is that I actually do not have to be perfect and that I will always have an opportunity to make better choices and won't throw away all my hard work on one bad choice. Losing the all or nothing mindset is extremely difficult to do after so many years of yo-yoing.