I'm ready to branch out in MEAT and would like suggestions.

2»

Replies

• tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    I'm also hoping to start trying new kinds of meat! I'm into this thread. :)

Definitely practice roasting a whole chicken--its actually much easier and quicker than you'd think, and makes for wonderful leftovers (plus you can save the bones for stock!). Seriously, it's easy enough to do weekly. I stock up on quality whole chickens when they go on sale at Whole Foods (or occasionally I can get them from a farmer I know) and freeze them.

One less common cut of meat I've been meaning try is oxtail (the poor man's short rib, it seems?). I've been looking at recipes for wine braised oxtail ragu that sound amazing. Not a low calorie food, though, but I'm excited to try it as a treat. Over polenta. YUM.

I've cooked rabbit and found it very difficult to cook correctly. It might be easier to keep the meat from getting tough if you cook it in a stew? Pretty much anything is good in a stew, haha.

Things I've never prepared myself but found delicious: venison, pig's foot, pig's ear, bison, and goat (middle eastern recipes are great for goat).

Not delicious: pigeon and snake. Don't recommend.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    I'm also hoping to start trying new kinds of meat! I'm into this thread. :)

Definitely practice roasting a whole chicken--its actually much easier and quicker than you'd think, and makes for wonderful leftovers (plus you can save the bones for stock!). Seriously, it's easy enough to do weekly. I stock up on quality whole chickens when they go on sale at Whole Foods (or occasionally I can get them from a farmer I know) and freeze them.

One less common cut of meat I've been meaning try is oxtail (the poor man's short rib, it seems?). I've been looking at recipes for wine braised oxtail ragu that sound amazing. Not a low calorie food, though, but I'm excited to try it as a treat. Over polenta. YUM.

I've cooked rabbit and found it very difficult to cook correctly. It might be easier to keep the meat from getting tough if you cook it in a stew? Pretty much anything is good in a stew, haha.

Things I've never prepared myself but found delicious: venison, pig's foot, pig's ear, bison, and goat (middle eastern recipes are great for goat).

Not delicious: pigeon and snake. Don't recommend.

oxtail= jamaican.. same with goat.. rabbit stew.. mmm with fennel? hmmmm