Wyoming people skinny, but Atlanta is obese

13»

Replies

• honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    It is true to an extent, but yeah it also depends on where you are in that state. I used to live in NY (decently fit state), but have since gone to California for school and just being out here where people include activity into their lives (everyone bikes to school/work), walks dogs and such because the weather is tolerable most of the time. Also, the produce is impeccable compared to what you get for half of the year in cold weather states. My roommate is from Colorado and she and her entire family are also super active, and she says she does forget that the rest of the country is obese because everyone just skiis and bikes and everything there. It's just a way of life. Beautiful scenery and weather can make you want to be outdoors a lot.

Also, I visited SC once and seriously, everything is friiiiiiiiied. Delicious, but damn, so much butter.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    I went to a charity ball. Got stinking drunk. End up at Waffle House with my friends all in ball gowns. And I 'allegedly' started a fight with some truckers and won. This was after stealing a table from some guy. Though technically I didn't steal it I just invited myself and our party to join him and dared him to say anything. And this was the last time I did shots.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    I went to a charity ball. Got stinking drunk. End up at Waffle House with my friends all in ball gowns. And I 'allegedly' started a fight with some truckers and won. This was after stealing a table from some guy. Though technically I didn't steal it I just invited myself and our party to join him and dared him to say anything. And this was the last time I did shots.

The joys of Waffle House :)
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    After your run in with the law, did you add the song, "the night the lights went out in Georgia" to your playlist.

No, but after our ban was over we kicked around the idea of making a "Live at Waffle House" CD and use our mug shots as the photos for the CD cover :) It really just made us more well known. I never will forget the night I told the story from the stage at a show. My mom was sitting in the audience and it was the first time she'd heard the story. My poor mom :)
    That's an AMAZING idea.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Hey~When I lived in Colorado (16 years) I weighed 100+ plus more than I do now living in the deep South (Mississippi) for only three years! I don't think you can blame(?) it all on geography.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    I live in Spain and when I first got here 4 years ago I think I was the fattest person here. They are super skinny here. I think they are just getting used to big people. I was walking downtown and this lady was in front of me and she was pretty big, at least over 300 but I could see people staring and this one lady ran up and took a photo of her from behind and said to me "muy gordo." Really! They act like they have never seen a big person but then again I don't think they are used to it. They eat a light breakfast and dinner and a huge lunch.

I think they are pretty active. There are so many races here and so many gyms. But while they are skinny they smoke a lot. I talking about starting at about 14 so they be skinny but maybe not so healthy. Plus the portions here are small, enough for 1 person unlike the states where the portions are huge.

It's just where your from. My husband is from Georgia and they eat a lot of fried foods and have get togethers that include a lot of unhealthy food: fried chicken, bake mac and cheese, collard greens. Here in Spain if you are a get together you will see: fruit, veggies, jamon, baguette.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Go to Colorado ...they're all hot and in awesome shape there also! Environment!!

Colorado is known for fit people. I like!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Whenever I visit Atlanta for work, we eat a LOT. Whenever people tell me what they love about Atlanta, it's ALWAYS the restaurants. I also think that the Waffle House has a bit to do with it.

I once got arrested in a Waffle House :)

I once got proposed to at a Waffle House. He was a complete stranger but it was cute.
  • DMZ_1
    Whenever I visit Atlanta for work, we eat a LOT. Whenever people tell me what they love about Atlanta, it's ALWAYS the restaurants. I also think that the Waffle House has a bit to do with it.

I once got proposed to at a Waffle House. He was a complete stranger but it was cute.

What is the deal with Waffle House? Why are people on this board either getting arrested there or getting proposed to?

I think I've only been to Waffle House once in my life.
  • jodfie
    jodfie Posts: 144 Member
    Go to Colorado ...they're all hot and in awesome shape there also! Environment!!
    i was told this by a friend from colorado he said "every chick in colorado is athletic build and HOT!" lol
  • DMZ_1
    I think your sample size is too small and nonrandom.

This is right on! Jackson Hole is not representative of Wyoming as a whole.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 235 Member

Hmm, I live in Colorado...therefore...
    Res ipsa loquiter! (it speaks for itself)!
  • vizsla99

Tried to write a song once about looking for a wife at a Waffle House.

She was my Waffle House Wife. Sings, "She cooks, she cleans, she stays home all day but loves me all night. Yeah, she's my Waffle House Wife."
  • vizsla99

What is the deal with Waffle House? Why are people on this board either getting arrested there or getting proposed to?

I think I've only been to Waffle House once in my life.

It's usually the ONLY place open at 3:00 a.m. when all of us drunks start going home from the bars :) It's a cultural phenomena, the great melting pot of America. Truckers, gang bangers, rednecks, working girls, college kids, a homeless people - all just looking for a cheap breakfast!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member
    Wyoming water for weight loss

Dr. Oz will be selling it soon

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh:
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119

Tried to write a song once about looking for a wife at a Waffle House.

She was my Waffle House Wife. Sings, "She cooks, she cleans, she stays home all day but loves me all night. Yeah, she's my Waffle House Wife."

Haha - I teared up a bit!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    I'll dump on the Waffle House. Yes, I ate there more then a few times in the late 1980s when I was in college in Atlanta. We called it the "Aweful Waffle.". I used to eat Bert's chile, eggs over easy, and toast. The waitresses had special lingo. For hash browns...smothered, covered....etc. yes, it is a melting pot off people trying to make it through the night. their biggest competitor was the Huddle House. A country song about the place would be a huge hit. Kind of like the Solo cup and pontoon songs.
  • DMZ_1
    It's usually the ONLY place open at 3:00 a.m. when all of us drunks start going home from the bars :) It's a cultural phenomena, the great melting pot of America. Truckers, gang bangers, rednecks, working girls, college kids, a homeless people - all just looking for a cheap breakfast!

I think I get what you are saying, but is Waffle House materially different than IHOP or Denny's? Denny's tends to have real late hours in a lot of places.

In some places. there are taco/burrito joints that are open after typical bar/club closing times of 2 AM.

There are some cities that don't follow the typical 2 AM close like the French Quarter in New Orleans, South Beach (Miami Beach) and Waikiki (Honolulu).
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Waffle Houses are almost always off the interstate. They are about the size and shape of a double-wide trailor. They are "white bread, white eggs, hashbrowns, lard, hamburger" only place. They don't have belguim waffles, elderberry flavored syrup, fresh fruits. The average WH has a dirty, tiled floor with blackened grout (no carpet), no cushions on the seats, might clean the grill once a day. Everything is cooked on the same grill. So, the eggs have a hamburger flavor to them, and you there is this disgusting film that goes across your whole mouth when you eat there. Kind of like movie house butter. The grill is in the middle of the restaurant and everyone can see the cook cook. The greasy smell, therefore, is also all over the restaurant. They do have a salad - of really bad head lettuce and an unripe tomato. The waitresses are great, but are the type that would be seen in those "women of Walmart" gag e-mails. THere is a local and loyal crowd to the Waffle Houses. Rednecks, policemen, gangs, truckers, ladies of the night, college kids with just enough money to buy some fried eggs. You just have to go to one, at about 3:00 a.m. There should be a documentary.
  • slade37
    slade37 Posts: 23 Member
    I am from Wyoming and I can tell you some things. One, there are obese people there because they spend an inordinate amount of time indoors. Two a LOT of them smoke. Three, when you are outdoors you have to walk a lot or ride a vehicle that requires exertion to use. Four the cold requires more calories to heat your body and Five there are a lot of outdoors activities that everyone does In short there is just more movement built into the country lifestyle