Question about waistline

124»

Replies

• Using http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

I calculated your most recent meal to be 841 calories, 27 grams of fat, 70 grams of carbs, 75 grams of protein with a whopping 60% of your daily recommended cholesterol intake and 57% of your recommended sodium.

My numbers are not conjecture. They come straight from the nutritional information on the foods themselves and all servings were measured.
  • As for the knee pain - have you looked at your shoes? When I first started walking I was using the wrong shoes for a while (they were offering pronation control that I didn't need) and that messed up my knees and hips. I got fitted, switched shoes, and felt better.

Just a thought - your pain sounds a lot more severe than mine was.

I use Reebok high top basketball shoes when I walk. I wear size 15 wide shoes.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Using http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

I calculated your most recent meal to be 841 calories, 27 grams of fat, 70 grams of carbs, 75 grams of protein with a whopping 60% of your daily recommended cholesterol intake and 57% of your recommended sodium.

My numbers are not conjecture. They come straight from the nutritional information on the foods themselves and all servings were measured.

So I was off by 100. I think you should be more concerned with the fact that your cholesterol number is too high for one meal and what the fact that there is as much sugar in this meal (32 grams) as you are recommended to eat each day. There is a lot more to nutrition than calories and the lean beef is the ONLY nutritious thing you consumed for lunch, and even that is the least nutritious meat you can eat.

Eating this way will lead to weight loss but a good portion of it will be lean mass (muscle) and not fat. You will also remain at risk for high cholesterol and insulin resistance.
  • Using http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

So I was off by 100. I think you should be more concerned with the fact that your cholesterol number is too high for one meal and what the fact that there is as much sugar in this meal (32 grams) as you are recommended to eat each day. There is a lot more to nutrition than calories and the lean beef is the ONLY nutritious thing you consumed for lunch, and even that is the least nutritious meat you can eat.

Eating this way will lead to weight loss but a good portion of it will be lean mass (muscle) and not fat. You will also remain at risk for high cholesterol and insulin resistance.

If your calorie number was that far off, seems likely your other numbers there are off too. Even still, as of a month ago, my cholesterol is very good as is my insulin levels. I'm well within healthy range on both of them and they've only gotten better since my weight loss started. I don't have the same goals as you do and frankly, I really don't appreciate your apparent holier than thou tone either. I have to eat what I can around here because frankly, we don't have a lot of extra money to spend on "healthy" food so I have to make due with what we can afford to buy. Really even the lean hamburger is a bit of an unusual case because lean meat is far more expensive than normal meat so we can't get it very often.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member

If your calorie number was that far off, seems likely your other numbers there are off too. Even still, as of a month ago, my cholesterol is very good as is my insulin levels. I'm well within healthy range on both of them and they've only gotten better since my weight loss started. I don't have the same goals as you do and frankly, I really don't appreciate your apparent holier than thou tone either. I have to eat what I can around here because frankly, we don't have a lot of extra money to spend on "healthy" food so I have to make due with what we can afford to buy. Really even the lean hamburger is a bit of an unusual case because lean meat is far more expensive than normal meat so we can't get it very often.

Seriously, you make a lot of excuses. You aren't losing fat the way you want or expect to so I'm just pointing out a few reasons that could be why. I'm sorry if that offends you, but it pure honesty. I'm done trying to help because it seems you just want people to tell you that it'll all be okay if you don't change anything. So fine, give that a try instead.

• If your calorie number was that far off, seems likely your other numbers there are off too. Even still, as of a month ago, my cholesterol is very good as is my insulin levels. I'm well within healthy range on both of them and they've only gotten better since my weight loss started. I don't have the same goals as you do and frankly, I really don't appreciate your apparent holier than thou tone either. I have to eat what I can around here because frankly, we don't have a lot of extra money to spend on "healthy" food so I have to make due with what we can afford to buy. Really even the lean hamburger is a bit of an unusual case because lean meat is far more expensive than normal meat so we can't get it very often.

Seriously, you make a lot of excuses. You aren't losing fat the way you want or expect to so I'm just pointing out a few reasons that could be why. I'm sorry if that offends you, but it pure honesty. I'm done trying to help because it seems you just want people to tell you that it'll all be okay if you don't change anything. So fine, give that a try instead.

Seriously, it's no longer an "apparent" holier than thou attitude. It's an obvious one and it's rapidly heading towards severe. I am not making excuses. I am answering as honestly as I can. I don't want an "it's gonna be okay" because if that's what I wanted, I wouldn't be dieting in the first place.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    The only reason I still use it is to keep a rough track of what I eat so I'll know if I can afford to eat certain things that day such as a Reese's cup or a glass of skim milk. If I actually at the calories for a single week that MFP recommends me to eat, I'd gain well over 10 pounds in just that one week. I've had days where I've eaten 1900 calories and gained nearly 5 pounds from it.

To gain 5 lbs of fat, you would need to eat 17,500 calories over what your body burned. I seriously doubt you gained 5lbs of fat. You may have been retaining water, and that could be especially true if your splurge was on salty foods. We have no way of telling or making helpful suggestions because you only record quick calories. As almost EVERYONE else in this thread has suggested, it's more beneficial to log the foods themselves and not just calories. It's been oft said, but not all calories are made equal. True, a calorie deficit no matter what you eat can lead to weight loss, but drastic deficits can lead to hormone imbalances, binging, and suppressed metabolism (after long periods of not eating).

You don't seem much interested in the advice people have been giving you, so I will provide you with some other threads to read from people who know a lot more than me. Read it or not. Excuses hurt no one but yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I'm not sure what it means but if you're a woman, you want to get your waist down below 35 inches, regardless of your current weight and your height. You want to get your body fat to 25 or less in most cases. You should determine what your body fat is. It will only be an estimate but there are a number of ways to do it. I suggest you check out the calculators at fat2fitradio.com and find some of your answers. Those calculators are far better than what they have on this site.

I've done this and my body fat is around 33% today at 305 lbs. When I started at 450, it was 27% according to the calculator I used.

Calculators on the interwebs regarding body fat are basically useless. EVen those body fat scales are useless.

Just think of it this way: are you losing weight? Are you getting smaller?

Maybe your waist isn't going down as fast as you want it to. Neither did mine. I lost bewbs first, then bum, then arms and legs got scrawny, and then it started to come off my belly.

I didn't read all your comments here, but from what I have read, it seems like you feel defeated. And for the life of me I can't understand why. You lost more weight than most of us ever will. YOU ARE DOING IT! IT IS WORKING!

Just keep going.
    And do your best to kick the bad feelings to the curb... i know it's hard to do that, i speak from experience. But you know who has control over your life? You do.

Now you got those reigns in your hands and you are going the right way....now you just gotta take some pride in that and KEEP GOING!