Couples- separate or combined finances?

1234568»

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Right now my bf and I split bills (rent and utilities) by income percentage. I make quite a bit more than he does, so I pay more. We figured out exactly what percentage I should pay and I just write him a check every month. Everything else is our own. So far we kinda take turns on paying for things like eating out and groceries and I try to make sure I pay a little more often than he does.

When we get married my plan is to have one joint account and each have our own separate accounts. Half of our personal income will go in the joint account for household stuff and savings, the other half we’ll keep for ourselves to do whatever with.

This exactly.

Right now he is still in school and only working part time (that's the max his position allows with fed ex) he pays utilities and internet and usually pays anytime we go out. He also gets paid weekly.

I make twice what he makes and pay the rent, daycare, and groceries. Since I get paid bi-weekly, he usually picks up what we need for groceries in between my checks.

Works well for now and we will do the single joint account in the future.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 419 Member
    My boyfriend and I had completely separate accounts for years, because I never want to fight over stupid money issues. When we bought a house together I had this wonderful idea, 50% of our paychecks goes into our separate accounts and the other 50% goes into a joint account in which all of our major housing expenses are paid (ie, mortgage, insurance, electric, gas, major home improvements). It's been a year and a half and this system seems to be working great for us. Things may change if/when we have kids but for now it's perfect for us.