Success with TDEE -20%

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    This is the stats from the spread sheet you provided...

At a 12.9% deficit...
    BMR- 1435
    TDEE- 2272
    TDEG - 1980

Alternate use box...Eating for future you:
    16.7% deficit
    TDEE- 2272
    TDEG - 1894
  • n8smamma
    n8smamma Posts: 11 Member
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I just recently changed my calorie goals to my TDEE -20%. Even though I am a bit wary of it, I feel like it better suits my lifestyle.
    Wanting to hear from some of the MFP folks that have had success losing weight with this particular course of action!

Also, did you all eat your exercise calories back or no?

Thanks!

Your TDEE should include your exercise burns, so you don't want to eat them back if you counted them already. I have been doing TDEE -15% and having success.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    bump
  • imagineyes
    imagineyes Posts: 13 Member
    How often should one adjust the TDEE -20% when trying to loose weight? I imagine it will get lower the more weight I lose?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Well, I work with kids (I run a day care in my home) so I'm on the move all day pretty much, up and down from standing to being on the floor and then when it's nap time, that is when I do my workout. I am doing the 30 day shred at the moment and then run on my treadmill for 20 minutes or so. I do this at least 3 days/week...sometimes more. It gave me a 12.9% deficit I think it was because I only have about 15 pounds left before reaching my goal. I did the 20% figuration on my own. If this is accurate then I better be upping my calories today! I'll up them slowly (probably 200/week or so) until I get to the right amount. I'm still losing where I'm at now but it's really really slow...about half a pound a week it seems.

At a 12.9% deficit...
    BMR- 1435
    TDEE- 2272
    TDEG - 1980

16.7% deficit
    TDEE- 2272
    TDEG - 1894

So indeed, you make it more accurate activity by including your standing walking time during the normal workday, so that starts you off.
    If curious where that activity puts you, it's called the BMR multiplier. Yours is 1.58, so slightly above the Moderately Active level, basically because your work jumps you up a level.

And either method is valid to use if you are so close, though since your metabolism isn't shot because of being stalled for months, the bigger deficit may work just as well, and just eat that to the end.
  • heybales
    How often should one adjust the TDEE -20% when trying to loose weight? I imagine it will get lower the more weight I lose?

Depends on which BMR you based it on.

If based on Katch BMR that uses bodyfat stat, and you retain your LBM, you might not lower at all.

If based on Mifflin or Harris BMR that uses age, height, weight, then indeed it will lower. Usually 10 lbs is meaningful calorie number.
    You can do the math now to see how much it will change at 5 lbs and if that much matters to you.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Well, I work with kids (I run a day care in my home) so I'm on the move all day pretty much, up and down from standing to being on the floor and then when it's nap time, that is when I do my workout. I am doing the 30 day shred at the moment and then run on my treadmill for 20 minutes or so. I do this at least 3 days/week...sometimes more. It gave me a 12.9% deficit I think it was because I only have about 15 pounds left before reaching my goal. I did the 20% figuration on my own. If this is accurate then I better be upping my calories today! I'll up them slowly (probably 200/week or so) until I get to the right amount. I'm still losing where I'm at now but it's really really slow...about half a pound a week it seems.

At a 12.9% deficit...
    BMR- 1435
    TDEE- 2272
    TDEG - 1980

16.7% deficit
    TDEE- 2272
    TDEG - 1894

So indeed, you make it more accurate activity by including your standing walking time during the normal workday, so that starts you off.
    If curious where that activity puts you, it's called the BMR multiplier. Yours is 1.58, so slightly above the Moderately Active level, basically because your work jumps you up a level.

And either method is valid to use if you are so close, though since your metabolism isn't shot because of being stalled for months, the bigger deficit may work just as well, and just eat that to the end.

Ok, so I changed my goals...I put my setting at "active" which put my TDEE at 1890. I then went in and changed my daily calories from 1416 up to 1616 (because I want to add in calories slowly...in a couple weeks I'll add in another 200). Now...how will this work for logging in my exercise? I'd like to keep logging it so I can keep a record of my morkout times and calories burnt.
  • Bumppp!
  • heybales
    Ok, so I changed my goals...I put my setting at "active" which put my TDEE at 1890. I then went in and changed my daily calories from 1416 up to 1616 (because I want to add in calories slowly...in a couple weeks I'll add in another 200). Now...how will this work for logging in my exercise? I'd like to keep logging it so I can keep a record of my morkout times and calories burnt.

MFP part of that will not work properly.

MFP is not using the same as accurate Katch BMR as start to math.
    MFP activity levels are based on NO exercise and do NOT match the TDEE levels, so they multipliers are all wrong (their highest is 1.55).
    So forget that part, just manually enter eating goal. Forget MFP's math and comments now.

For logging workouts, log the full calorie burn, that's what posts to your wall. And then correct to 1 calorie. In your food diary notes section, note the exercise calories and time.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Bump
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Could someone please help me with this because I'm a bit confused.

My BMR is 1750
    My TDEE is 2401

From what I've read and what I can seem to grasp from all this, I am suppose to eat 1750 calories and not east my excersise calories?

so TDEE - 20 % = 2401 - 480 = 1921

so u should be eating 1921 and dont eat ur excersice calories back..

aim for 1750-1900
  • holliwood97
    I've been doing essentially the same thing. I got a fitbit a couple of weeks ago and I use that to calculate my TDEE, which is great because it does vary day to day, so I can adjust my cal intake based on that day's cal burn. For the most part, I average a burn of 2700 - 2800 cal per day and I eat ~500 cal less than my burn. I've been doing this for 2 weeks and have lost about 3.5 lbs.

I think this thread is extremely important because so many folks eat so few calories and all you guys are proving that you can lose with more calories. So happy to see this!

i was wondering how it has been oging? are you still doing this ? and still using the fitbit as a measurement tool???
  • holliwood97
    Could someone please help me with this because I'm a bit confused.

My BMR is 1750
    My TDEE is 2401

From what I've read and what I can seem to grasp from all this, I am suppose to eat 1750 calories and not east my excersise calories?

so TDEE - 20 % = 2401 - 480 = 1921

yours is the exact same as mine... i'm going to do it too. :)

so u should be eating 1921 and dont eat ur excersice calories back..

aim for 1750-1900
  • MyFitGrlSwag
    MyFitGrlSwag Posts: 60 Member
    Bump
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Hey there!
    For everyone who read this, said they were scared about going up to TDEE etc, I would strongly urge you to educate yourselves on the Eat More To Lose Weight group here on MFP. There are some incredibly informative threads on there. I was eating too low, below my BMR at MFP's suggestion of 1200... meaning, below my body's daily requirements!!! And now I've done what's called a 'reset' to help my metabolism heal. Yes, I gained weight doing that, but I went into it knowing I would and wanting to not just lose weight and look better but do this right so I'm healthy for life. Anyway- I finished my "reset" and am starting my "cut" (TDEE -20%) and I've quickly noticed a difference.

The most excellent part to this is that eating more has given me so much energy to work out harder (lift those heavy weights, best thing ever!), I'm not grumpy, I feel great and look even better. I could feel that I was getting stronger, lifting throughout my reset, and now that I started my cut I can see the results. Don't starve yourself! You just pay later with gaining weight the instant your body sabotages you away from eating under your BMR- and it will! Eat well. Figure out your own personal stats.

Go to Eat More To Lose Weight, read everything, educate yourself, do your calculations and lift heavy... you'll see.

Thank you for this post! I agree! :smile:

Upping my calories from 1400 to 1800 a day is liberating!
  • So I have been doing a lot of research on this whole TDEE -20%. I am very very scared to do this because as all other that have been on diets for most of their adult life, it is ingrained in my mind that I must eat less to weigh less. However, I could never understand why thin people could eat so much and I was eating like a bird.

I have been eating less than the 1370 MFP told me to eat but I tried to eat even less than that... why not?? and then I added in exercise, and of course I wouldn't dare eat the calories I worked so hard to burn.. so why in the heck have I been maintaining my weight within the 2 - 3 pounds for over a year??

I figured my TDEE to be 2216 and my BMR 1564 so my cut - 20 % is 1773 using IIFYM TDEE calculator.

I am scared as heck to do this but I have jumped in, started this Tuesday!!! I went up .2 then finally today went down .6. I hope this continues!!!
    Still scared lol:noway:
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    bump for later
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!