Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

15678911»

Replies

• dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    no way!
    but then again, my gym is in the same building as my university and I'm not about to ditch school because it's 'too cold'
    heck it's supposed to be -43degrees celsius tomorrow with windchill! :O If I were still in high school, classes would be cancelled.

If you're worried about being too cold after the workout because of being all sweaty, just spend more time stretching afterwards or walking or something that doesn't make you sweat to finish off the workout so you have time to cool down.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    "Boy am I sure glad I skipped that workout!"

said no one, ever.

Excuses are for those who don't want it bad enough! Suck it up and get to that gym! You can do it, and you'll always be glad you did. :)
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    I am hitting the gym after dinner tonight...live just north of you in Grafton. It may be cold, but I didn't get there at all this weekend and have to go or I will find another excuse tomorrow night. :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    There is more to life and to exercise than that artificial manmade construct called 'the gym' that we all seem so fond of these days.
    I use it if I must, but I would much rather be outside cycling or walking. There are plenty of indoor options you can do at home, including bodyweight exercises, skipping, dancing, following a workout video, cleaning the house vigorously etc. You could even make up your own routine using a combination of different exercises, then you can jump in the shower right after without needing to go out into the cold.
  • -7 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I live in Texas and I have a hard time working out when it's 31 degrees outside. ( My gym is right outside my home.....I only have to litteraly walk 10 steps to get there)

I can't blame you....maybe you can pick up a dvd and workout at home?
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    I live on my university campus and the gym is on campus so it takes literally 5 minutes (if not less) to walk to the gym.

Also, the gym is the perfect place to warm up in the freezing weather :smile:
  • macaya5
    macaya5 Posts: 75
    My gym has a sauna and steam room and the hottest water EVAR. So yeah, I head to the gym bc there is warmth there and it's too cold to run around outside. It's like 25 degrees here in NYC but the wind chill makes it feel lots colder.
  • redragtop05
    redragtop05 Posts: 140 Member
    Never!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    There's a gym in my building so no prob! Today a boiler in the building malfunctioned and the gym was 20'! I almost left but some guys said-get going, you'll warm up in no time! I stayed and did my entire workout in a tank top and stretch capris cause I was to lazy to go back up to my apt lol. I worked out hard but brrrrrrrrr! I never got really warm til the heat went back on an hour later. It felt soooooo good!
  • jinkies54
    jinkies54 Posts: 40 Member
    yes!!!! :( it's -18 right now and with the windchill it's worse. just want a bath.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    I'm in Michigan and we're sharing the same weather. I just suck it up and wear a jacket with a hood. Today I wore a pair of thermal pants under my shorts. It's when I want to go the least that I find it in me to go.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I prefer an outdoor workout and don't belong to a gym.I find them boring.However,it's been way too cold.I bought a variety of dvd's this past weekend and have been having a lot of fun with them.There is also a "Y" in my town so I can pay a daily rate if I want to take a class to mix it up a bit. I've recently been diagnosed with a condition that doesn't allow me prolonged exposure to cold and it's a bummer!
  • sekhmet13
    sekhmet13 Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks to everyone who replied, it looks like I'm making excuses for myself. Going to the gym tomorrow morning no matter how cold it is!
  • I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I'm in Milwaukee too! :( It really has decreased me working out..I feel horrible but it's just SO cold! It was 7-11 degrees later on with a -20 wind chill!