• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    a calorie deficit, and dead lifts and squats
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Bump
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I'm trying to lose my arm fat, but whenever I lose weight my chest and butt goes first. This sounds crazy but I started wrapping my upper arms with saran plastic wrap whenever I go to my spin class. I figure I can sweat the fat off quicker. If it works, I'll let everyone know.

If that worked then everyone would just wrap themselves in plastic wrap and hope into a sauna or steam room and lose weight instantly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways are the best exercises for belly fat loss - put the fork down and push yourself away from the table. "Spot reducing" is a myth and there are no "magical foods" which target belly fat. How would they do that? How would they somehow bypass the normal digestion/utilization process and head straight for your bellyfat on a seek and destroy mission? It's fiction.

Exercises won't "target" it because you can't exercise fat....it's inert, it just lays there. You can exercise the muscles underneath the fat all you want to - you'll have nice, strong muscles, but you'll still have a layer of fat over them.

The way you lose belly fat is to maintain a caloric deficit. The fat will come off in a pattern predetermined by your genetics. Unfortunately for most of us, our genetics usually dictate that the abdominal area is the last place the fat will come off of.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    I'm trying to lose my arm fat, but whenever I lose weight my chest and butt goes first. This sounds crazy but I started wrapping my upper arms with saran plastic wrap whenever I go to my spin class. I figure I can sweat the fat off quicker. If it works, I'll let everyone know.

Unfortunately you don't sweat away fat... wrapping your arms in saran wrap will help them look smaller for a short period of time as you will sweat away water while working out. However, once you drink water again any inches lost will return. Some people do this around their tummy to shrink it an inch or two quickly for an event.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    If only I had a dollar for everytime I saw this type of post....

I second what most everyone here said...you CANNOT spot reduce. No specific food or weird ritual is going to help you shed your belly fat. Focus on eating less calories than you burn and just EXERCISE. The belly will go away but you won't magically have model worthy abs overnight. It takes patience. Just give it time and focus on building muscle and losing fat overall.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    You can't spot reduce. You have to reduce fat all over and unfortunately belly fat is usually the last to go.

^^^ this. I have been working out and lost 40 lbs within 18 months. i am only now losing my belly, but it's melting off me now. Just hang in there!
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    push. away. from. the. table.

repeat

Funny!
  • There is only one way. Consistently eat fewer calories than you burn.

Read this for instructions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^^ This
  • I'm probably not the best source.. as I'm just starting out again for the umpteenth time to get healthy and stay there, but I do know for me, some foods bloat the living daylights out of me and make me appear 'fatter' some days, especially soda! As for losing the fat? I agree with everyone here, there is no magic cure, but you might make a little headway into appearing more tone and slimmer if you strengthen up your stomach muscles. Mine were so lax after my last child that even at 130, I had that extra belly flap and muffin top in most of my jeans. A bunch of different tummy muscle strengthening workouts later and it looked so much better. At least it wasn't jiggling left every time I moved right.. lol. Ok well.. just a thought I wanted to toss in. Can't say it will work for everyone or even for you, but it did help me. Good luck! =)