700 calories burned without a workout?

13»

Replies

• honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    So long as you have both MFP and Fitbit set to the same activity level you are good to go.
    I sub at a preK and I know when I work I get a pretty good adjustment and on days I go to the grocery store I earn at least 3 or 400 cals just from walking aorund getting groceries! (Mine is set to sedentary on both though so I get extra cals for anything over regular activity)

I find it hard to believe that one can burn 300/400 calories while out shopping. That is how much I burn while running 30 min using a HRM !! Are these FItbits accurate. ??? If they are then I am heading to the mall daily and will be fitting in those skinny jeans real soon

running and walking both use up roughly 100 calories per mile, so whether you burned 300 calories by running for 30 minutes, or walking for 60 minutes around the shops, it is still the same 300 calories.

Somebody who walk 30 minutes every day would actually be creating more of a deficit than someone who runs 30 minutes twice a week, but I'll bet the runner feels more smug about their calories, and would frown at the walker eating back their calories.

When setting their MFP settings people need to be honest, there is no point setting yourself as sedentary if you are runing around after kids all day, or walking your dog twice a day.

At the end of the day, it's not the running, walking or shopping that loses the weight, it's the calorie defict.
    The walking, running, shopping etc can help create that defict, but unless you are eating less than you are burning through daily activity, you aren't going to lose anything.

I don't think labeling my activity as "slightly active" versus "active" is necessarily being dishonest. I don't feel like I'm that active. I don't work up a sweat or anything by working out. I just pace around constantly.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    This is why I like the fitbit --- it appears that I am more active than I thought. Good information to know.
  • honeylissabee
    Ok, now I'm really confused.

I went to work and then I went out to Target with my best friend. Even though I have my thing set up to active instead of lightly active. I still earned 619 exercise calories.

Now, I am NOT a body builder. I don't work in construction. I work with two-year-olds. I spend about 10-15 minutes (in short 3 or so minute increments) dancing/jumping around, and I walk a LOT, but the idea of still burning 600 calories over an "active" day is INSANE.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

I went to work and then I went out to Target with my best friend. Even though I have my thing set up to active instead of lightly active. I still earned 619 exercise calories.

Now, I am NOT a body builder. I don't work in construction. I work with two-year-olds. I spend about 10-15 minutes (in short 3 or so minute increments) dancing/jumping around, and I walk a LOT, but the idea of still burning 600 calories over an "active" day is INSANE.

When you look at your Home, Goals, what does MFP estimate you will burn in a day from daily activity?

and what does your FB say you burnt?

It may be worth checking your MFP settings (height, weight etc) are correct, as one incorrect digit can make a difference.
  • honeylissabee

When you look at your Home, Goals, what does MFP estimate you will burn in a day from daily activity?

and what does your FB say you burnt?

It may be worth checking your MFP settings (height, weight etc) are correct, as one incorrect digit can make a difference.

Everything is correct on both. Mfp says I burn 2,360 calories a day. FitBit said yesterday I burned 2,975 calories. I can understand maybe 100 to 200 calories for the shopping after work, but I cannot fathom how I burned that many calories above an "active" job.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Everything is correct on both. Mfp says I burn 2,360 calories a day. FitBit said yesterday I burned 2,975 calories. I can understand maybe 100 to 200 calories for the shopping after work, but I cannot fathom how I burned that many calories above an "active" job.

So MFP uses Mifflin BMR which for you is 2360 / 1.45 for Active = 1628.

FitBit uses Harris BMR which could come up with a different base value they are going off of. Usually only 100-150 calories though I have seen bigger spreads.

That BMR and estimated RMR are used for all your slow moving and non-moving time in the day. So even if half the day was that, should only be 50-75 calories.
    So if it's very different, that could effect it.

But walking is based on your weight, so confirm FitBit weight is correct.

You might also look through the FitBit log for yesterday as good example, and see if there are any elevated burn times when you were actually driving, or walking slowly with a shaky cart. FitBit is estimating steps by bouncing. Some get that while driving - so false steps, false burn, elevated TDEE.
  • i came back and made it simple... MFP gives me a number, i eat that number, if i go to the gym then i log it, if i dont, i dont.

Boy I agree with that. I jumped on that bandwagon for a while but the only gadgets I use now are a food scale and my iPhone.
  • honeylissabee
    I decided to do a test and set MFP to say that I'm "very active". I also had a slower day today. I didn't go out after work. I also spent my lunch break sitting, and I didn't bring my iPod to work, so there was no dancing around with the kids. Still, even on a slow day, my total burn at nearly 10pm is only a little more than 100 calories under what MFP says I burn each day, so perhaps I am very active after all.

I am still going to set up negative calorie adjustments because I'm a lazy bum on the weekends, and I'm sticking to a 500 calorie deficit. Then, I'm pretty much going to set up my personal plan where I'll try to eat any exercise calories over 500 calories. (So, if I burn off 600 extra calories, I'll eat at least 100 of those calories a day). However, any exercise calories under 500 are optional. I can eat them or leave them depending on the occasion, my hunger, etc. That way, even though my goal is SET to lose 1 pound per week, I can safely lose 2 pounds in a week by burning off the second 500 calories through exercise rather than cutting it out from my diet.