Questions FROM the UK and FOR the UK

13»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I live in England and just though I say Little chef does not make me happy either. We call it Little Theif instead based on their prices. The same goes for burger king, it becaomes burger ching. In america when i went it was like 3 dollars a meal. England is ridculously expensive now but I suppose i still love it.

PS. I never understand the meaning of uptown and downtown when you refer to cities. Any americans wanna help me out?
    Ben
    :)

I *think* it's about the street or avenue numbers...downtown referring to the lower numbers and uptown the higher.

I've become addicted to a BBC show, "You Are What You Eat"...that crazy little lady. It took me ages to figure out that squash was a drink! And a "fry-up" is any fried meal, or just breakfast?
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,000 Member
    I live in England and just though I say Little chef does not make me happy either. We call it Little Theif instead based on their prices. The same goes for burger king, it becaomes burger ching. In america when i went it was like 3 dollars a meal. England is ridculously expensive now but I suppose i still love it.

PS. I never understand the meaning of uptown and downtown when you refer to cities. Any americans wanna help me out?
    Ben

I *think* it's about the street or avenue numbers...downtown referring to the lower numbers and uptown the higher.

I've become addicted to a BBC show, "You Are What You Eat"...that crazy little lady. It took me ages to figure out that squash was a drink! And a "fry-up" is any fried meal, or just breakfast?

I like "You Are What You Eat" too. And "Cash In The Attic"
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member

Ben

I like "You Are What You Eat" too. And "Cash In The Attic"

Gillian McKeith scares me to death...I want to be healthy, but I don't want to look like a bag of bones! Her methods have been more or less debunked in the UK...having said that it is scary what a lot of the people eat before her intervention.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    a fry up is usually a fried breakfast, sausages, eggs, fried bread (has to be white bread) mushrooms, tomato, bacon (Canadian bacon) baked beans and black pudding, all fried together (apart from the beans) with lashings of tomato sauce (ketchup) and/or brown sauce...ooo love brown sauce!!!
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Gilliian Mckeith is mad. She has very strange techniques. Also if you get a chance American peeps have a look for a show called supersize vs superskinny. It is quite a good show and always has a nice heart warming ending.
    Fry ups are amazing!
    Cash in the attic used to be watched by me with breakfast before i went to college. Quality programming lol
    Also since we mentioned famous names anyone else met any stars.
    Robert Plant (lead singer of Led Zepplin) once bought a train ticket off me. How cool!!
    Ps thanks sofaking I totally get what you mean. Also I used to be in bands called the sofakings. only we where sofakingwhat with slighty ruder implications x
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I've seen Supersize vs Superskinny on youtube but it's annoying to have to watch in 8 minute segments or however they have it broken up...it seems like a really cool show though. I also watch "How Clean is Your House"..love Kim and Aggie.

Simplicity...oh my name is intended the rude way, I assure you! LOL!!

And re: fry-ups...ok so now what's a "lashing"...a side order? And black pudding? Oh and in the UK, "pasties" are meat pies, but in the US they're the things that strippers stick on their bosoms!
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,000 Member
    I have never been to the UK. I've ALWAYS wanted to go. Maybe one day...
    I have English, Irish and Welsh roots.
    Well, I have my VIRTUAL bags packed. I have my VIRTUAL passport.
    I thought, perhaps, I could be there vicariously.

Would someone like to "adopt" me?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    To answer the uptown vs downtown question for most larger American cities uptown is the ritz arty area while downtown is the business area. Unless it is Charlotte NC where they call their business area uptown and don't have a downtown. I have lived here 5 years and I still call it downtown. NYC is also different as it is so big it is split into so many different areas.

I have been wondering what the conversion from a stone to a pound is.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    A 'stone' is 14 pounds.

Erika
  • murph73
    murph73 Posts: 2
    Oh I see the Little Englanders are banging on about no longer being the centre of the universe. You gave up your empire 50 years ago.

Get. Over. It.
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    It's so confusing when I see the date in the US way, MM/DD/YY :laugh: when it's something like 4/8/10 i m confused thinking is it 8th of April or 4th or August? :tongue:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Marmite - the best thing in the world. Especially with cheese. Not the healthiest food though. Husband HATES it.

Alan Rickman - he used to be our neighbour and is essentially an extremely funny guy, but very private. Lovely man.

xx
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Oh I see the Little Englanders are banging on about no longer being the centre of the universe. You gave up your empire 50 years ago.

Get. Over. It.

Who are Little Englanders? Are you referring to my height :laugh:
  • noble1987
    noble1987 Posts: 132
    I have one word to say -

Colour

tee hee hee x
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Great thread ,can someone tell me what grits are and are the protions really huge over there I love watching man v food and some of the sandwiches are so huge .Your pastrami and corned beef looks totally different to ours much much nicer think if an amercian wanted corned beef they would be dissapointed lol .
  • MissingMinnesota
    Grits are a coarsley ground hominy. Usually consumed in the southeastern area of the states for breakfast with butter and/or cheese. Shrimp and Grits are also popular as a main course. I can't stand them myself I am more of an oatmeal person.

Proportions tend to be over the top over here also and is one of the main causes of our health and weight issues. Since you were watching man against food I am guessing you were looking at the NY pastrami from the Carnige Deli which is known for its MASSIVE size.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Jelly in the UK is what you in the US call Jello
    It took me ages (about 15 years!) to figure out that when you say jelly you mean jam!, I used to read about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and think yuck!!

And Biscuits are what we call cookies here in the UK, what you in the US call biscuits we call bread rolls!!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Grits are a coarsley ground hominy. Usually consumed in the southeastern area of the states for breakfast with butter and/or cheese. Shrimp and Grits are also popular as a main course. I can't stand them myself I am more of an oatmeal person.

Proportions tend to be over the top over here also and is one of the main causes of our health and weight issues. Since you were watching man against food I am guessing you were looking at the NY pastrami from the Carnige Deli which is known for its MASSIVE size.

Your going to kill me but whats hominy ? :laugh: for some reason I thought grits would be something like fried potatoes .it could have been the Carnige Deli I was drooling :laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota

Your going to kill me but whats hominy ? :laugh: for some reason I thought grits would be something like fried potatoes .it could have been the Carnige Deli I was drooling :laugh:

It's kind of like the corn version on malt o meal. http://southernfood.about.com/cs/gritsrecipes/a/grits_recipes.htm
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Jelly in the UK is what you in the US call Jello
    It took me ages (about 15 years!) to figure out that when you say jelly you mean jam!, I used to read about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and think yuck!!

And Biscuits are what we call cookies here in the UK, what you in the US call biscuits we call bread rolls!!

Actually they call "biscuits" what we call "scones"....It was quite strange when I found that out,as alot of americans ask about 2tea and scones"....its just a sweet "biscuit", instead of a savoury (such as cheese) one. :)
This discussion has been closed.