Please stop…I beg of you…

Replies

• LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Someone had to say it

^^ This. Thank you OP. You're doing the world a great service, however, I do think that sometimes hamburger buns can be substituted:

images-2_zps4e9d5d33.jpeg

I agree:

grilledcheeseburgermelt.jpg

OMG THIS!!! LOL!! I have seen the donuts one, but the grilled cheese? YES! lol
  • I made sushi with cauliflower instead of rice and I really didn't notice much difference:

35an8dc.jpg

First time making sushi. It doesn't look pretty but it was delicious!

:smile:

That's creative and interesting. It is not, however, "sushi" by any standard. And that's pretty much the theme here. If you can find a way to make something a little better, then feel free, but don't destroy the essence of a particular type of food and then continue to call it by the original name. Random ingredients rolled in nori does not sushi make.

Amen...sushi by its name requires a perfect blend of rice and vinegar to compliment typically a fish protein. To call this sushi is an insult to the years if not decades a true sushi chefs spends culitvating his craft. What you made is a Maki but by no means is it sushi
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I guess one of my problems with the "healthier substitute" crowd is the perpetuation of the belief that that applesauce is inherently healthier than butter...and that egg whites are inherently healthier than whole eggs.

QFT

Jof, how did I end up quoting you twice in the same thread? :laugh:

apocalypse.jpg

(I almost missed this startling revelation.)

Indeed. We truly must be in the end times.

If you listen closely, you can probably hear the horsemen saddling up.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I've eaten low-carb in the past, and found it useful to use substitutions for high-carb foods. Courgettes sliced with a vegetable slicer made an acceptable "pasta", I remember. I don't eat low-carb now, but I enjoyed having a go at the banana pancakes, because I'm not a fan of the texture of pancakes and this made them more acceptable and added some protein. I think it's great that people post these recipes. Thank you! I also used to eat various substitutes when I was vegan and vegetarian (lentil burgers, nut roasts, "fish" pie made with mushrooms, etc. etc.). I didn't call them meat but I did make them into products that looked more like meat products!

I suppose it would be nice if there was a warning when the thing really isn't anywhere near as nice as the REAL thing, because I'd rather spend my time cooking something else than slave over a bad substitute. It would also be nice to make it clear that it's a fake in the recipe title. I was disappointed to click on a recipe for "wings" to find that no actual wings were included! But if "chicken" was substituted for "wings" (or even if it was written as "wings" in inverted comments), I'd know what to expect.

Those are minor considerations though, and I'm grateful to the people who share good recipes.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    I guess one of my problems with the "healthier substitute" crowd is the perpetuation of the belief that that applesauce is inherently healthier than butter...and that egg whites are inherently healthier than whole eggs.

QFT

Jof, how did I end up quoting you twice in the same thread? :laugh:

apocalypse.jpg

(I almost missed this startling revelation.)

Indeed. We truly must be in the end times.

If you listen closely, you can probably hear the horsemen saddling up.

I am now truly and utterly terrified....
  • rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Eh, personally I don't use these names because I'm trying "get away with something," and I have no problem splurging and eating all the delicious, greasy, salty delicacies when I want to. I enjoy turkey bacon and I enjoy banana pancakes.. I call it turkey bacon because on the occasions I eat it, I eat with my eggs for breakfast just like I do when I eat regular bacon. I call it a banana pancake because it looks similar to pancake, I cook it in a similar way, I put similar toppings on it (peanut butter and syrup or strawberries and whipped cream), and I like to serve them on for breakfast. I'm not trying to trick myself and I'm not obsessing over the idea of "healthy vs unhealthy" foods. I just call it that because they serve similar purposes. Besides, considering I live in a place where the majority of people I know think that green bell peppers are called "mangoes," I feel like I'm not doing too bad.

To each his own though.
  • Sara2184
    Sara2184 Posts: 183 Member
    Someone had to say it

^^ This. Thank you OP. You're doing the world a great service, however, I do think that sometimes hamburger buns can be substituted:

OMG My cholesterol just went up & my heart went into hiding
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I made sushi with cauliflower instead of rice and I really didn't notice much difference:

35an8dc.jpg

That's creative and interesting. It is not, however, "sushi" by any standard. And that's pretty much the theme here. If you can find a way to make something a little better, then feel free, but don't destroy the essence of a particular type of food and then continue to call it by the original name. Random ingredients rolled in nori does not sushi make.

Amen...sushi by its name requires a perfect blend of rice and vinegar to compliment typically a fish protein. To call this sushi is an insult to the years if not decades a true sushi chefs spends culitvating his craft. What you made is a Maki but by no means is it sushi

Nice idea but no. That's not sushi. -.- No. Just no. -.- :noway:
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Someone had to say it

THIS IS SOOOOO FUNNNNNY!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    thanks OP!

i wonder about people's taste buds and palettes with some of these substitutions that they can say it's tastes like whatever it's substituting.

no sorry mashed cauliflower does not taste like mashed potatoes. yogurt does not taste like mayo..

as for that "sushi" i'd flip the table over if someone sat that in front of me and called it sushi. it might delicious, but do not call it something it isnt
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    I made sushi with cauliflower instead of rice and I really didn't notice much difference:

35an8dc.jpg

You're right, it's not sushi. I sincerely apologize. Next time, I'll call it my "seaweed, salmon, cream cheese, avocado rolls with cauliflower". Is that better? :wink:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member

35an8dc.jpg

You're right, it's not sushi. I sincerely apologize. Next time, I'll call it my "seaweed, salmon, cream cheese, avocado rolls with cauliflower". Is that better? :wink:

We're good. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    620%20-%20chris_jericho%20clapping%20gif%20wwe.gif

LMAO I love this GIF
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member

35an8dc.jpg

We're good. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

No problem. :)
  • brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    LOL!!
    s4iuK2q.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member

Yes - that would be perfect.

I'm going to have some real sushi for Valentine's Day, and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Yes..if you want to call it a roll of whatever name..cool. Just not sushi. :flowerforyou:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    859688_o.gif

I'm guessing people who don't like these topics also don't like Lewis Black.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    859688_o.gif

I'm guessing people who don't like these topics also don't like Lewis Black.

:heart:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    So what is the general opinion of protein powder ice cream? Is it worth a shot?