Extreme Vanity Sizing at Target! TWO+ sizes too low!

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Measure around your waist with a tape measure and write down the measurement. Round this measurement up to the nearest 1/2 inch.

Measure around your hips at the largest point with the tape measure and write this measurement down. Round this measurement up to the nearest half inch.

Compare your measurements from Steps 1 and 2 to a sizing chart. Size 2 pants fit waists of 24 inches and hips of 34.5 inches. Size 4 pants fit waists of 25 inches and hips of 35.5 inches. Size 6 pants fit waists of 26 inches and hips of 36.5 inches. Size 8 pants fit waists of 27 inches and hips of 37.5 inches. Size 10 pants fit waists of 28 inches and hips of 38.5 inches. Size 12 pants fit waists of 29.5 inches and hips of 40 inches. Size 14 pants fit waists of 31 inches and hips of 41.5 inches. Size 16 pants fit waists of 32.5 and hips of 43 inches.

Hope this helps a little!

Hahaha!!! If I went according to this, I would have to wear 12s, as that's apparently the size my waist is. However, all my old clothes (that I was swimming in prior to buying a whole new set of clothes) were size 10s & 12s and they were, quite literally, falling off of me. I wear 4s and 6s now, even with my 29.5" waist. My hips are only 35.5", so that explains some of it, but the rest is, likely, due to some sort of vanity sizing.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Measure around your waist with a tape measure and write down the measurement. Round this measurement up to the nearest 1/2 inch.

Measure around your hips at the largest point with the tape measure and write this measurement down. Round this measurement up to the nearest half inch.

Compare your measurements from Steps 1 and 2 to a sizing chart. Size 2 pants fit waists of 24 inches and hips of 34.5 inches. Size 4 pants fit waists of 25 inches and hips of 35.5 inches. Size 6 pants fit waists of 26 inches and hips of 36.5 inches. Size 8 pants fit waists of 27 inches and hips of 37.5 inches. Size 10 pants fit waists of 28 inches and hips of 38.5 inches. Size 12 pants fit waists of 29.5 inches and hips of 40 inches. Size 14 pants fit waists of 31 inches and hips of 41.5 inches. Size 16 pants fit waists of 32.5 and hips of 43 inches.

Nope. Not true. My waist is 27in, hips 38. All my dress pants are 6's and all my jeans are 4's. I have 1 pair of khakis that are 8's from Old Navy, but all other pants there I need a 6 or 4. Sizes vary, there is no standard. Deal with it.
  • Measure around your waist with a tape measure and write down the measurement. Round this measurement up to the nearest 1/2 inch.

Where did you get this info?
  • US sizes are huge. I have a few pairs of jeans and some dresses from the US, all size 12. That should convert to European size 42, but I have difficulty squeezing into a 46 here (difference of two sizes). It doesn't help that it's pretty much impossible to find anything besides skinny jeans.

depending on where you carry your weight you might be able to shop in the uk, i find most of their styles are far more generous in terms of curves.

also don't give up! I love desigual myself, but have huge boobs which he certainly does not design for.
    However if I go through the entire shop I always find something that works for me!
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    sizing aside, I hate how they mix the maternity in with the plus sizes. confusing AND offensive, all rolled in one! *kitten*.

also, one of the girls working there looked at a shirt labeled 20W and told me it was "20 Wide". I understand you don't have to be educated to work at Target, but I wanted to punch her in the damn throat.
  • The thing I hate is having to take 3-4 different sizes of the same item to the dressing room because who knows which way their sizing works. Especially when they limit you to 6 pieces.
  • Lies!!! I'm wearing three different pants sizes and two different shirt sizes. I also have a couple shirts in the larger of those two sizes that I can't even button. Clothing sizing is bad all around.

I think we have it slighlty easier because we tend to have boxier builds and no boobs, but there's some sort persistent illusion that men can just order stuff off the rack by one or two objective measurements and not try it out.

Sure, we can do this... if we want to look like a complete idiot.

My waist is 32 inches and my chest is 40 with wide shoulders. Most shirts that fit my shoulders are built for a 38"-42" waist, but no shirts have a waist measurement on the box. This produces a disturbing puddle of fabric around my gut which makes me look fatter.

Even "slim fit" shirts don't always work. I have a DKNY "slim fit" that probably has a 36" in waist. $50 wasted.

Through lots of tireless experimentation, I found two... TWO shirt brands that actually have close to a 32" waist.

My husband has similar build, plus long arms. So has to do XL for long sleeved casual shirts to get the sleeves long enough. What brands did you find that have a good fit?
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Yes, there is vanity sizing in men's clothes.

http://i.imgur.com/yL8Mn.jpg
  • That was harsh.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Your true size is whatever size fits you in whichever brand you choose to purchase. Forget finding the 'perfect' size, it's not going to happen evenly across the board...
  • Im 4'8", 127lbs with 34" hips, 22" thighs, and 36" butt. I wear anything from a 00 to a 9. My shirts range from XS to M, and my bikinis from XS to L. Even shoes. im a 2. Or a 4. Usually 5, but sometimes 5.5. a few 7. It makes me crazy.

My husband wears a 28x32. Thats it. Jeans are waist x length. Easy. No 48"waist but call it a 30". No "slimming fit". Just pants. He's always a L in shirts and jackets. Hes always a 10 in shoes. His swimwear is always a S. no variation from brand to brand.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    If you want a good idea of what "correct" sizing looks like, try looking at size charts for sewing patterns - from companies that have been around forever.
    For example - http://www.simplicity.com/t-sewing-measurement-charts.aspx#misspetite

I'm not sure if you're married or not, but when you get a wedding dress, your dress size is likely 2-4 sizes LARGER than your street clothes size because dress makers use original pattern sizes... Marilyn Monroe is always noted as wearing a size 14... it's because she had womanly curves and the sizing was accurate, not vanity sizing.

Hope this helps.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Years ago when I was around 20 years old, long before vanity sizing was even a thought, I weighed 105 lbs and wore a size 6 Levi jean. I am 5'3".
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I always find the opposite true with Target clothing... my typical size is WAY too small... :-/ and what is it with only tall people being able to wear their pants....
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    I worked retail for years before getting into accounting. The biggest thing I learned is the way clothes are cut. It is a bunch of material on top of each other that has a cutter come down and it is not straight and stretches the materials causing variations in the size but they will all say size 10 because that is the "cut size". That is why you could pick up a stack of jeans and find only one pair fits perfectly. The mass production process does affect the fit. Personally my only concern is to get out of the plus sizes into normal sizes. Do not care what the tag says as long as it fits.

Good luck!
  • Yes, there is vanity sizing in men's clothes.

http://i.imgur.com/yL8Mn.jpg

yes, it's vanity sizing, BUT keep in mind if you had a 36 inch waist you could not wear a pair of pants with a waist that measured exactly 36 inches.
    they would be too tight and rub uncomfortably.

so probably a legit (non-vanity sized) 36 size pants should have a 37-38 inch waist.

we also tend to measure when we are at out thinnest, before eating and drinking. Would you want a pair of pants that when you sat down to dinner and had a meal either suffoctaed you or popped open???
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    I agree with the low-rise issue.. I don't buy low rise pants, too depressing. I am bottom heavy an 18.. In low-rise I have to go to a 20 or 22 if I can even find that cut in that size.

low rise makes no sense at my size. As a size 18 I will not go to muffin top territory and wear tight or stomach showing tops with low rise. To be honest, I find low-rise uncomfortable.. Especially while sitting.. and i hate havingt my back sticking out.

Target sizes I found not too off.

Yeah, I guess low-rise fits everyone differently. Regular waist pants go up to ABOVE my bellybutton, so, for whatever reason, low-rise jeans fit just right without showing off any whaletail or creating a muffin top. Which is very strange because I have a big butt. You'd think the opposite would be true. Just goes to show how different everyone's body can be!

I wear the low rise for the same reason, I think it is because I have a short torso though.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    That's why I only wear one brand of jeans and I'm sticking to them!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    I didn't find this site particularly helpful, but perhaps you'll make better use of it:

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/
  • I worked retail for years before getting into accounting. The biggest thing I learned is the way clothes are cut. It is a bunch of material on top of each other that has a cutter come down and it is not straight and stretches the materials causing variations in the size but they will all say size 10 because that is the "cut size". That is why you could pick up a stack of jeans and find only one pair fits perfectly. The mass production process does affect the fit. Personally my only concern is to get out of the plus sizes into normal sizes. Do not care what the tag says as long as it fits.

Good luck!

and a normal seam allowance is 5/8 of an inch. If you sew it a little larger or smaller it changes the size of the garment.

that said, In most cases the variation isn't that big. But i have been known to try on the same item in the same size in three different ones (i.e. 3 pairs of the same style size 8 levis) if I really love it and have to have it but don't find the first one/pair fits perfectly.