BMR and TDEE confusion...

2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Thank you for the feedback.

First, to answer some questions, I have these numbers from the IPOARM and also using another website to verify. I originally thought my TDEE was off, as well so I wore my HRM for 24 hours on 4 different days and it averaged close to what IPOARM gave me (it was actually 50 or some cals higher, hah). I'm not entirely sure WHY this is, I'm not a construction worker or anything. I do have hard workouts (800-1600 cals in 1-3 hrs / day) regularly, so that must be what bumps it up.

Next, I THINK the consensus is that I need to gain LBM to raise my BMR and to do that I shouldn't cut below 20% of my TDEE? Still a bit fuzzy on this point...

HRMs are not accurate for daily (non cardio) activity. My suggestion - pick a reasonable number..say 1,700 - eat to that for about four weeks (to mitigate water retention variances from your cycle) and see what your results are - tweak up or down depending on the results but I would make sure you are not losing more than about 3/4 lb a week on average.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Also, your calorie burns through exercise seem extremely high, I'm a male that weighs significantly more than you, with higher LBM, and don't burn near that much working out. Also, HRM's are not accurate when worn all day, they are ONLY accurate for steady state aerobic activity.

I had no idea about HRM not being accurate during the day- Thanks! Anyone know WHY they aren't?

I do have my VO2 and metabolic levels and stuff tested (and my HRM stats updated) about every 6 months so I am fairly confident my workout burns are accurate.

I think I'll go with sara's suggestion of testing out some numbers and maybe work my way up to 1700 or so for a few weeks.