Ladies - weight lifting will make something bulky

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Well done Olivia!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    She looks AMAZING and what she has accomplished deserves never ending praise. It's women like her who inspire others to get up and put some damn weights on a bar. And once they do they become new people. We see it happen around here all the time and it's truly something special.

And let's really try to not let one voice of ignorance take away from a great and inspiring woman.

Absolutely.

People like her inspire me to do what I thought I would never be able to do. I never would have put a bar full of weights on my shoulders if it wasn't for this site and people like her. I never would have gotten off the treadmill.

Better to live life being an inspiration to others than to live life tearing down the achievements of others.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I am 56 yrs old and recently started Stronglifts 5 x 5. I know that I will never reach anywhere near the weight that Amanda is lifting, but what this story is doing for me, is to inspire me to be and achieve the very best that I can be and not to settle for anything less. Amanda and many others who achieve the seemingly unattainable, are the people we need in society to inspire us, to keep improving ourselves.

^^this, I believe gets to the point (as I think the ridiculous commentary about women lifting heavy getting bulky has now been dropped)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with training and overcoming. But there's really no need to take things as far as she did and force her body to support 400 pounds over and over again.

So you are saying she should have given up hundreds of pounds ago because she was successfully increasing without injury? She found something she is amazing at and ran with it.

I am having freaking brain surgery on Monday and one of the first questions I asked my surgeon was when could I lift heavy again. He said 4 weeks. I honestly will probably take it slower than that, but I am not giving up something I love forever unless I am told absolutely not by my doctor.

not brain surgery, but yeah same question lol. actually I asked the anesthetist first, his reply was "as far as the anaesthetic's concerned, 4 hours, but you need to ask the surgeon for the answer related to the actual surgery"

surgeon's answer was 4 weeks. I was back again after 3 weeks because I recovered well (doctor allowed me to return then)

the human body is a lot tougher than people generally give it credit for
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Just to bring this thread back on target.

amanda_harris1.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    This is incredibly inspiring to me. I have just got to a place health-wise where I can start lifting. A couple of days ago was the first time I actually got to put weight on the bar and I felt like a superhero. I'm sure it's awesome for everyone the first time that happens, but for someone with lupus/fibromyalgia/etc, who can't even work full-time anymore, it was priceless.

Thanks for posting OP.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I know women that wrecked their shoulders lifting much less weight that she did, and I really don't like seeing that kind of super heavy weight lifting encouraged.

Injuries happen when you push too much weight too quickly on crappy form. This woman started lifting when she was 8- I suspect she spent years building up that strength.

I, for one, will take my advice from Bruce Lee who said that if you put limitations on anything that you do, it will spread through your entire life. There are no limitations, only plateaus, and you must push through them.

I think this girl, Barbie Barbell, is amazing and inspirational and she obviously has worked very hard for very many years. I have made my decision about what I want for my body, and I will not allow any negative nancy to derail me from my path.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    She looks AMAZING and what she has accomplished deserves never ending praise. It's women like her who inspire others to get up and put some damn weights on a bar. And once they do they become new people. We see it happen around here all the time and it's truly something special.

And let's really try to not let one voice of ignorance take away from a great and inspiring woman.

You know..this makes me really feel kind of pitiful in a way. I've always made excuses and I am slowly learning to stop doing that and throwing a pity party whenever things turn out harder than I thought..but THIS story really makes me want to kick myself in the butt.

It's really an inspiration! I've been saying I "want" to get into heavy lifting and now I am going to stop wishing and really work at "doing" :flowerforyou:

A. There's nothing pitiful about you. It took me 20+ years to even care about getting in shape. It doesn't matter when you do it. Just so long as you do it.

B. THIS is what MFP is supposed to be about. Inspiring people to get out of their comfort zones and be amazing. The success you find will make you a new person and inspire others in turn.

Thread successful. Even with the attempts of certain parties to ruin it. Hopefully those are the only ones being faced with any disciplinary action.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    You achieve your lowest expectation.

Time for me to "raise the bar" and expect more of myself :smile:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    SPwNtEilECsTRrmwcDVtQiQKBJwVVAPFYDAWe.jpg
    :noway: what a hulkster lol
    Please keep posting pictures of her. She's very.....um....inspirational. Yeah, that's it, inspirational. :wink:

I <3 her legs. I want a pair of those for Christmas.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Well done Olivia!

Yeah!:drinker:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    love this!
    ill probably never lift that much, but i really cant wait to get back into lifting after i have the baby. this just gives me that much more motivation
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member

Good Lord she's hot! I'm feeling quite uh, inspired right now...
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Please keep posting pictures of her. She's very.....um....inspirational. Yeah, that's it, inspirational. :wink:

She is awsome wow
  • CorvusCorax77

She is awsome wow

And if some adult ever needs her to carry them outta the woods, she probably could do that no problem!

I'd like her waistline and feminine curves....
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    I can honestly say that I would trust her to carry me out of a burning building.
    My hubby is a 6'5" firefighter so I don't hand out that compliment too often:happy:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

She is awsome wow

And if some adult ever needs her to carry them outta the woods, she probably could do that no problem!

Yep, I wouldn't be complaining if I had a cut 24 inch waste a curvy bum and sleak legs that's for sure lol
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    I wasn't supposed to ever walk and have a rare shoulder abnormality and other stuff but still get off my *kitten* and do what I can. This thread is inspiring <3
  • CorvusCorax77

She is awsome wow

Yep, I wouldn't be complaining if I had a cut 24 inch waste a curvy bum and sleak legs that's for sure lol

I just checked her measurements. They all match mine- except her waist is 4" smaller- oh and she weighs 20 lbs less. Not to mention she can lift something like 4-5x's what I lift!!!

Eta: and her bf is 5% less than mine when she is off season! Lol!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    she's been around awhile, why the sudden excitement?