AM I CRAZY?!? Starting "Total Cleanse" Today! (CDN)

Replies

• KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Line up with the Dr. Oz followers so we can slap you.
    airplane-slap_o_GIFSoupcom_zps057e9bbf.gif
    LMAO Airplane FTW!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Crazy? No way! While getting juice delivered to you seems a bit extravagant for me ( I juice at home with a juicer and fresh veggies/fruits) If its convenient for you then great! Ive been on juice fast/cleanse for 9 days so far. And guess what... 19 pounds lighter, with brighter skin, longer hair and nails and tons of energy. 19 POUNDS IN 9 DAYS WOW! DO NOT let ppl get you down saying "you'll go into starvation mode, its bad for you" blah blah. Cleansing/fasting has TONS of benefits, physically mentally and spiritually! I will be cleansing for 40 days. Once you get passed the detox phase where toxins are being released from your body, you will feel like a new person, trust me! No matter what just resist temptation of food and ignore cravings. you will be so glad you did this. If anyone is interested in fasting or cleansing, do your research & find which type of fast is right for you! GOOD LUCK!

What toxins? I am still waiting for someone to actually answer this.

Toxins in terms of all the chemicals used to process your food. How about all the pesticides used on your produce? Not everyone can afford organic foods. So yes, your body does have toxins. And if your body is full of them then liver is also full of them so then the body fails to "cleanse" on its own as much as it should.

Citation needed. Unless you have a certain disease (like Wilson's disease) you liver is detoxifying these things all the time and getting rid of them. Look into cytochrome P450.
    People often think that with with diet and exercise you can get rid of toxins which is true, but keep in mind that its better to excrete these toxins than sweat them out. Because the less fat your have, the more chance there is for these chemicals to attack your organs. The fat actually protects your organs from getting attacked by these chemicals.

Huh? Need some citations here.
    Some common chemicals used to process foods are: 1-methycyclopropene, bha, bht, canthaxanthin, potassium bromate, etc. Some of these chemicals on their own are linked to serious illneses like retinal failure, cancers, and some are manufactures from coal tar and petrolium. And this doesn't even take into account the full chemical processes used to come to these preservatives and additives used in food. As if the starting material wasn't bad enough.

OK - so we have the names of some potential toxins. Thanks. Now please provide evidence that these (a) accumulate in your body; (b) are not detoxified and removed while eating a normal diet; and (c) that a detox diet or colon cleanse DOES remove these compounds from your body.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    It's been said but bears repeating - your body does not need help cleansing unless you are very, very sick. Are you very sick? Do you have a doctor's diagnosis? If not, save your money and just stop eating lots of junk. It's really that simple. No gimmicks. No starvation needed. Just stop eating as much junk as you do and BAM you'll start losing.

True story.

It's worked for me time and time and time again.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    To answer your question in the title.....

Yes.

Came to say the exact same thing.

You want to cleanse yourself?

Drink water

Go to the bathroom

Rinse.

Repeat.

Cleansed!!!
  • KristineW78
    KristineW78 Posts: 42 Member
    I don't think we think we are Drs, however - some of us have done some research and read up on nutrition and want to share what we have learned and what has worked for us. That is all. Our bodies ARE toxic and with healthy eating we can reduce or eliminate these toxins to get healthier. Our fat stores toxins from the enviroment and unhealthy foods. I take an organic, whole food supplement that keeps me regular and has helped with bloating. I really believe in this product and it supplements my healthy diet and workout routine.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Cleanse_zpsb7786007.png
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    I don't think we think we are Drs, however - some of us have done some research and read up on nutrition and want to share what we have learned and what has worked for us. That is all. Our bodies ARE toxic and with healthy eating we can reduce or eliminate these toxins to get healthier. Our fat stores toxins from the enviroment and unhealthy foods. I take an organic, whole food supplement that keeps me regular and has helped with bloating. I really believe in this product and it supplements my healthy diet and workout routine.

When doing your research, be sure to check sources that aren't sponsored by or directly related to people trying to sell you stuff. Otherwise, you're getting marketing material rather than research material.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Wow. So, stay fat to protect your organs from toxins.
    Got it.

You totally missed what I was trying to day, but you keep on truckin' pal.

He's not the only one that missed it. I'm dumbfounded.

So, are you saying that a "cleanse" eliminates these toxins from our bodies?

ETA: These toxins that are apparently building up in my liver because you're saying that it works like some kind of toxin sponge/filter?

I was trying to say that there are some merits to "cleansing" if you will. Since you'd be excreting rather than sweating out the toxins.

The liver is responsible for bile production which helps carry away waste and break down fats in the small intestine during digestion. Basically, yes, its sponge/filter so that the other organs/body can function to its full potential. If you've been eating a life time of crap, eventually that filter will get clogged.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    People often think that with with diet and exercise you can get rid of toxins which is true, but keep in mind that its better to excrete these toxins than sweat them out. Because the less fat your have, the more chance there is for these chemicals to attack your organs. The fat actually protects your organs from getting attacked by these chemicals.

There are so many things wrong with this statement.

1. Sweat is a form of excretion. Research the endocrine system.

2. Fat does capture toxins, but it doesn't do anything with it, and it doesn't prevent exposure to your organs. Fat is an inert element of the body. It's presence shields the organs from impact, but it does not 'filter' toxins because fat does nothing.

I never said that fat "filters" toxins.

I'm well aware of what the endocrine system does.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    Crazy? No way! While getting juice delivered to you seems a bit extravagant for me ( I juice at home with a juicer and fresh veggies/fruits) If its convenient for you then great! Ive been on juice fast/cleanse for 9 days so far. And guess what... 19 pounds lighter, with brighter skin, longer hair and nails and tons of energy. 19 POUNDS IN 9 DAYS WOW! DO NOT let ppl get you down saying "you'll go into starvation mode, its bad for you" blah blah. Cleansing/fasting has TONS of benefits, physically mentally and spiritually! I will be cleansing for 40 days. Once you get passed the detox phase where toxins are being released from your body, you will feel like a new person, trust me! No matter what just resist temptation of food and ignore cravings. you will be so glad you did this. If anyone is interested in fasting or cleansing, do your research & find which type of fast is right for you! GOOD LUCK!

Toxins in terms of all the chemicals used to process your food. How about all the pesticides used on your produce? Not everyone can afford organic foods. So yes, your body does have toxins. And if your body is full of them then liver is also full of them so then the body fails to "cleanse" on its own as much as it should.

1.Citation needed. Unless you have a certain disease (like Wilson's disease) you liver is detoxifying these things all the time and getting rid of them. Look into cytochrome P450.

2.Huh? Need some citations here.
    Some common chemicals used to process foods are: 1-methycyclopropene, bha, bht, potassium bromate, etc. Some of these chemicals on their own are linked to serious illneses like retinal failure, cancers, and some are manufactured from coal tar and petrolium. And this doesn't even take into account the full chemical processes used to come to these preservatives and additives used in food. As if the starting material wasn't bad enough.

3.OK - so we have the names of some potential toxins. Thanks. Now please provide evidence that these (a) accumulate in your body; (b) are not detoxified and removed while eating a normal diet; and (c) that a detox diet or colon cleanse DOES remove these compounds from your body.

1. Common sense needed. If you've been eating life time of crap your liver is having a very hard time catching up. Because if it as easy as you say, and we wouldn't be here.

2. Layer upon layer of fat on and around your organs will stop toxins from getting to your organs. I'm not saying that fat has function. I'm trying to say that when you exercise, hopefully its because you want to be fit and have more muscle than fat. Well, once your start building muscle mass, that fat gets smaller and smaller and those toxins don't exactly have that wall of fat blocking them. They will eventually get out, into organs and most likely lleave through your skin. Your a**hole is much bigger than your skin pores. I'd rather my toxins go out via bowel movement.

1-methycyclopropene - http://www.medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=jftech.2012.71.76 (synthesized with some really yummy stuff)
    Potassium bromate - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1567851/ (carcinogen)
    bha, bht - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8493816 (tumor promoters)
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Yes, fat cells can store somethings. If your fat cells release stored toxins, they will end up excreted either via feces or urine no matter whether you cleanse or not. They'll go to the bloodstream, then to the liver to be metabolized and detoxified like everything else, and then the detoxified molecules will end up in the intestines or in the urine for excretion. It has nothing to do with "cleansing".
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    At the end of the day its a personal choice if some wants to go on a cleanse, juicing fast, colon cleanse, detox or whatever. IIt may work for some, and not so much for others.

This total cleanse thing that OP posted looks like juicing fast. Personally I wouldn't pay for someone to deliver me this stuff but rather buy a juicer and some organic produce at my local farmer's market and do it my self. And I have done a raw food cleanse before. Its worked out great for me. I didn't starve myself and I didn't gain any of the weight I lost back either. Unfortunatley I did not keep up with this for whatever reason (otherwise I won't still be here). BUT I did this with a doctor's supervision. Which I would highly recommend to the OP.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    2. Layer upon layer of fat on and around your organs will stop toxins from getting to your organs. I'm not saying that fat has function. I'm trying to say that when you exercise, hopefully its because you want to be fit and have more muscle than fat. Well, once your start building muscle mass, that fat gets smaller and smaller and those toxins don't exactly have that wall of fat blocking them. They will eventually get out, into organs and most likely lleave through your skin. Your a**hole is much bigger than your skin pores. I'd rather my toxins go out via bowel movement.
    Toxins are huge molecules that will stretch your sweat pores? Blood vessels don't actually reach your organs but stop at the fat layer around them? This has to be a Poe.
  • richardheath

1.Citation needed. Unless you have a certain disease (like Wilson's disease) you liver is detoxifying these things all the time and getting rid of them. Look into cytochrome P450.

2.Huh? Need some citations here.
    Some common chemicals used to process foods are: 1-methycyclopropene, bha, bht, potassium bromate, etc. Some of these chemicals on their own are linked to serious illneses like retinal failure, cancers, and some are manufactured from coal tar and petrolium. And this doesn't even take into account the full chemical processes used to come to these preservatives and additives used in food. As if the starting material wasn't bad enough.

3.OK - so we have the names of some potential toxins. Thanks. Now please provide evidence that these (a) accumulate in your body; (b) are not detoxified and removed while eating a normal diet; and (c) that a detox diet or colon cleanse DOES remove these compounds from your body.

1. Common sense needed. If you've been eating life time of crap your liver is having a very hard time catching up. Because if it as easy as you say, and we wouldn't be here.

What? Your liver "catching up" (whatever you mean by that) has no relationship to weight loss. Which is what I think you are attempting to imply. Liver has enzymes that detoxify stuff. These are called cytochromes. You ingest something bad; cytochromes get upregulated. This isn't rocket science - it's basic biology.

Common sense is overrated as it is neither common, nor makes sense. Let's try science instead, shall we? You know - where things we think are common sense are actually tested to see if they are true or not.

OK - so some compounds are fat soluble.

Now demonstrate how the rest of what you said makes sense. Prove to me that these so called toxins leave via the *kitten* during a "cleanse", and are sweated out by exercise.

You do have studies to back this up, right?
    1-methycyclopropene - http://www.medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=jftech.2012.71.76 (synthesized with some really yummy stuff)

Chemical synthesis of a preservative. Does not demonstrate that this compound accumulates in the body or that it is selectively secreted during "cleansing". Need to do better.

From the abstract: "Although adverse effects are not evident in animals fed bread-based diets made from flour treated with KBrO3,..." (my emphasis)

So, in high enough quantities, it is a carcinogen. When cooked into bread, it is converted to the non-toxic KBr.

Also - no evidence that this accumulates in the body, or that it is selectively eliminated by "cleansing".
    From the abstract: "he present overview concludes that the concentrations of BHA and BHT nowadays used in food, drugs and cosmetics are probably harmless." (my emphasis)

So, another harmless compound which you have yet to demonstrate is (a) stored in the body and (b) sleectively eliminated during "cleansing".

Just because you don't like to have chemicals such as this in your food (which is totally your perogative), that isn't the focus of this thread, which is "cleansing". You claimed these are toxins (despite your citations saying they are not); that they accumulate in the body (in fat, to be specific); and that are only eliminated by cleansing. You have not substantiated any of these 3 claims.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Potassium bromate - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1567851/ (carcinogen)

I am going to leave the others alone as others have addressed them...but this does not answer the questions posed.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I am going to leave the others alone as others have addressed them...but this does not answer the questions posed.
    Thus, we still don't have a legitimate answer as to what toxinzzz are removed by a cleanse/detox, nor by what process it happens. Why do some people hate science?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    tumblr_lybdjr7L3g1qbh26io1_500.jpg
  • richardheath

Lol! So true! I hate being a killjoy, but I also value the truth. It's tough sometimes! :ohwell:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member

:heart:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

1. Sweat is a form of excretion. Research the endocrine system.

2. Fat does capture toxins, but it doesn't do anything with it, and it doesn't prevent exposure to your organs. Fat is an inert element of the body. It's presence shields the organs from impact, but it does not 'filter' toxins because fat does nothing.

1) Sweat is not part of the endocrine system but an exocrine gland. Often grouped with the endocrine, this is anatomically and linguistically incorrect.

2) Fat is not a tissue that "does nothing". Not only is a lipid resevoir for all cells, it is metabolically active.

3) One does not sweat out toxins - We sweat primarily salt and water with a splash of dermcidin and phermones (not everywhere), perhaps a little sugar in certain disease states.

Yeah... I'll admit that I thought I had gotten #1 wrong (referring specifically to the part where I mentioned the body system associated with sweat). But #2 is correct. Fat is only minimally metabolically active, but the point that I was making was that its purpose and function is not at all relative to the filtration of toxins. And I never said anything about sweating out toxins.

You wrote "fat is inert" and "fat does nothing" both of these are incorrect. Minimally active? What do you think controls the lipid reservoir that allows you to live? Estradiol, leptin, adiponectin are produced primarily in lipid tissue. It is neither "inert" "do nothing" or "minimally metabolically active". If you were to say, it's role in energy metabolism is minor when compared to LBM, you'd be correct but fat's metabolic role is major - metabolism isn't just energy equations but lipid and protein transport, etc in which fat has an essential role. Fat is necessary, a question of how much is something else.

The sweating out toxins point was to the person above you, that you quoted.