Most ridiculous serving size?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I eat Cheerios and using my scale to weigh out 28g is a WHOLE lot of cereal (to me at least) and much more than a "1 cup" serving. So maybe all these folks freaking out about cereal need to start actually weighing it or maybe I'm just weird in thinking that 28g is a huge serving.

The thread has been entirely entertaining to re-read though. Thus the necro.

No way. I just tried - a serving is 3/4 of a cup, and that was pretty dead on.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I don't know if it's the same in America, but when I was in England I'd drink those plastic bottles of coke, y'know, with lunch or something. And once I actually read the side and one bottle counts as two servings?? Are you kidding me? Who would you share that with? Or would you be expected to put the bottle away and have flat coke the next day? Come on!

Also, anything that serves 0.5 of a person. Like servings per container: 3.5. Just a giant pet peeve.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I bought some prepackaged kugel today. Love the stuff, and that brand doesn't have preservatives in it. It's the size of a normal one person packaged meal. Except it has 8 servings :sad: I bought it anyway, will try and make it last. It's kinda sad when you eat 1/4 of it and it ends up being 340 calories though.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Smart Ones sundaes. I need the people at Smart Ones to make those a little bit bigger.
  • tniemiec1
    tniemiec1 Posts: 8
    mine is peanut butter...a serving size = 2 tbsp! which is not as much as what people think. I love peanut butter or almond butter and this just isn't right...
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    I was looking at my cooking spray and the serving size was 1/4 of a second. Has to be the most ridiculous ever, on so many levels.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    I eat Cheerios and using my scale to weigh out 28g is a WHOLE lot of cereal (to me at least) and much more than a "1 cup" serving. So maybe all these folks freaking out about cereal need to start actually weighing it or maybe I'm just weird in thinking that 28g is a huge serving.

You're weird. 28g is like one bite. I can eat 5 servings in one bowl. easy. In fact I ate like 3 last night as a snack. One serving is stupid.

28 grams is 1 ounce. You must have meant 280g? I hope...
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member

If I have cereal I eat 2 servings and one cup of milk. Cocoa puffs is 100 cal per serving (27g) and 1/2% milk is 90 calories for 1 cup. 290 is pretty low if you ask me for a breakfast.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    One oz of cheese or chocolate...this only works as a serving if you are making yourself a tasting plate of a few different types! Mmmmm, cheese plate and chocolate tasting. Yum!

I agree with everyone about the Cheerios. I can't buy it because I love it so damn much, I'll eat like 3-4 bowls in one sitting. The healthy versions taste like crap, too, so I just go without. I can get by on the serving size of higher protein cereals. There is one from Barbara's bakery that I weigh and it is pretty filling.

On the other end of the spectrum, I cannot eat a full serving of Fage 0% Greek yogurt; even if I'm starving, I can't get through it!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Old Trapper Beef Jerky has 3.65 servings per bag. Really? Does my teenage son count as .65 of a person? Because then, we could split the bag four ways on a hike. Oh wait, the serving size is one ounce so one lucky soul out of four gets not quite 3/4 of an ounce. Lucky them.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Bump to read later :laugh:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member

You're weird. 28g is like one bite. I can eat 5 servings in one bowl. easy. In fact I ate like 3 last night as a snack. One serving is stupid.

I guess I have to concur. I just measured it out (without milk) and it is plenty for me (especially after adding milk).

Edit: Resized

10323734_10201865592986470_1942736232_o50percent.jpg
  • khassidy
    khassidy Posts: 33 Member
    One "level" table spoon of mayo. NO. JUST NO.You have to have enough to smother the entire slice of bread, and a little on the outer edges hahaha! One tablespoon just doesnt cut it!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Cereal! Who can eat 1/4 cup of cereal, really? I certainly can't! So I don't eat it much... when I eat it I need a giant bowl of it! HAHA

My husband use to make fun of me by saying that I used dog food bowls...LOL I could probably have just poured the milk in the bag and been happy. But those days are done!
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    A round cake at Publix which lists a serving as 1/9th of the cake! Who the heck can cut a ROUND cake into 9 slices? After thinking about it, I finally figured out they were using the portion size from their rectangular sheet cakes which you can easily cut 3x3 and thus have 9 slices. Apparently, someone was too lazy to recalculate the portion size for 1/8th instead of 1/9th.

LMAO this made me laugh out loud at work...HILARIOUS
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    MIcrowave popcorn. I don't have a bag in front of me, but it reads something like "Serving size, unpopped, 3.5". Unpopped!? It's in a sealed bag! Why waste our time?
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    The worst serving size that got me to be honest was my favorite popcorn, Skinny Pop. I saw "serving size 4 cups", thought about my 4 cup measuring cup at home, and assumed I could eat half the bag for only 155 calories. At worst, I could eat the whole bag for 310. After doing so, several times, I just happened to take a look at the "servings per container" and staggered at the 4.5 number. That means that each bag is about 700 calories. I still haven't measured out a serving since I usually buy it on the way to my son's park play date every Friday and I don't have my scale with me. One of these days I might remember to measure it out...

http://yourresetbutton.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG_14691.jpg
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I don't understand the huge hype over oreos?! They taste yuck!
    +1

Although I used to like them when I was a kid. My grandma used to tell us that 1 Oreo is two cookies with creme in the middle.. So by her counting a serving size is 4 cookies, but 2 oreos.. does that help or make it worse???

LOL

Also second the canned tuna. I eat the whole can. Every. time. The serving size should be the whole can

Oh and when you go to stores and get a premade salad.. Some of those are actually 2 or 3 servings! But you know you eat the whole thing! It's intended to be individual! are you really going to open up the try and split everyone into halves or thirds so you only eat 1 potion?? So dumb. (That one got me a few times before I realize it)