"Married" but not "MARRIED"

1235»

Replies

• ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    If there ever was a better reason, I can't think of one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Marriage is really nothing more than a written contract. Marriage isn't recognized without a license.

Now being "married" doesn't have to be a legal document. Lots of people I know live together for years without getting married (and hopefully have a will and living trust to protect each other).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Will and living trust don't come close to all the legal documents (where it's even possible) needed to offer protection. Many of the options don't legally exist though-so we make our bed and lie in it.
    Yes there are lots of other legal documents that are entailed, but I was just speaking from just a very basic sense of protection.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    She was late and her brother was a sniper in the Marines.

^^^^^^ha ha ha ha ha
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    My "husband" and I consider ourselves married even though technically we aren't. We have been together for more than 5 years and he considers my son (from a previous relationship) his own. We are planning on getting married as soon as I finish nursing school. We both decided to wait. I needed to do this for me and I didn't think that it was fair to have him pay for my schooling when he just spent over $100,000 on his.
  • teamdj1
    teamdj1 Posts: 265 Member
    As as a great man ones said "Mawwiage. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah… So tweasuwe youw wove…"
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    My husband/boyfriend/partner/significant other and I have been together for more than 10 years and have a 7-year-old daughter. We have really never seen the point in getting "married" because neither of us are religious, and otherwise, what's the point? It's just a piece of paper.

I often refer to him as my "husband" because "boyfriend" sounds like someone I've been with for a few months; "partner" makes us sound like a same-sex couple (nothing against same-sex couples); "significant other" is too formal and politically correct; and "baby daddy" sounds too trashy.

It really has nothing to do with a tax dodge. We just don't care enough about formalities to get married.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    As as a great man ones said "Mawwiage. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah… So tweasuwe youw wove…"

LOL ! Love that movie!:laugh:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Early in our relationship, in an organic conversation, I told my partner I had nothing against people not being legally married but saying they were married, but that I didn't care whether I ever got married or not but I wouldn't call myself married, or call any man my husband, unless there was a piece of paper involved.

It came up because he had been with his partner for 10 years before me and they had a "commitment ceremony" and referred to eachother as husband and wife. He had stated that he never wanted to ger married.

Funnily enough, with NO pressure from me, we're now getting married in May. With the piece of paper. And Elvis. But piece of paper ;)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Personally, I find it harder to come up with a reason TO get married, rather than a reason to NOT get married.
    If you're happy, living in the same house, and enjoying life with your family, what motivation could you possibly have to get married? Everything is already perfect, because you're with the one you love :):heart:

There are very specific reasons related to medical issues and death, military spouses (preferential placement, benefits, on base housing...), immigration issues (spousal visas), child custody...even if you yourself don't ever want to get married, it is important to recognize that our society offers a lot of benefits for marriage. This is why marriage equality is such an important issue.

In the meantime, I do wish that cohabiting were common enough to come up with an alternate term for the in laws. At the same time, I wish that the religious folk would realize that the very prevalence of "in laws" demonstrates how inextricably governmental marriage is in the US. Ministers can turn people away because they don't attend church regularly, because they don't approve of the match, etc. legalizing marriage has no affect whatsoever on the religious aspect of the institution!