Scale isnt budging ? in body of post.

2»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Eat more - at least eat your calories back that you exercise off since it appears you are using the MFP method (which already calculates your deficit in the 1200 cal/day). A better method IMO:

1. Find TDEE
    2. Eat at 15% less than TDEE (eat that amount every day and don't eat back exercise calories)
    3. Eat 1 g protein per 1 lb LBM
    4. Eat 0.35 g fat per 1 lb body weight
    5. Find something other than the scale to track progress (BF%, inches lost, clothing fitting, pictures, strength increases, endurance improvements, etc)

Yup.

Check here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    Awesome information in that link! The best move I made was using the information there to change my goals, and eat according to what's posted there. I've been on 1800+ calories for about a year, just actually raised my calories yesterday, and I've had the BEST success with this method.

Don't be afraid to eat more - you've lost a lot of weight - have you ever adjusted your calorie intake along the way?? Your body has changed, and it's needs have likely changed as well. Read that topic, go step by step through the information and enter your numbers in the tools at the links provided, and find out how much you should be eating for fat loss. it works - I only wish I had found that topic three years ago!
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 115 Member
    Not dramitic. I have been stuck within the same 10 pounds for months. Yes, I lost 96#, but I still have 40 to go and I dont want to be playing with the same 40 this time next year. So I am trying to find why I am stuck, and get back moving in the right direction. Thank you for your help.

You're stuck because your metabolism finally adapted to eating only 1200 calories. It's not going to give up any more excess weight unless you make some dramatic changes. And since you mention you're "scared" of extra calories... Well frankly, your options are limited. You can certainly keep trying to do what you're doing and expect different results. Good luck with your journey.

^^ This is what happened to me - it wasn't as low as 1200, but now I'm eating 1900 at least, and burning between 400 and 500. I don't eat back my exercise calories because the 1900 is my TDEE -20% and already takes my exercise into consideration. I've lost xlose to the same amount as you. Once I upped my calories (NO PROCESSED FOODS!) my body started letting go of the fat again. Good luck!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Just had a look at your exercise diary as well - if you're running and doing weights/strength training, you DEFINITELY need to eat more, and up your protein. Fuel that body! You are asking it to work hard, but then barely fueling it - it's got reasons to hang onto fat, not burn it!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Some areas that may help... Less carbs at breakfast trade in the pancakes and cereal for egg white omelettes, breakfast tacos or flavored greek yogurt... My favorite breakfast when I have the time is three egg whites, slice of extra lean ham browned in strips like bacon, La Tortilla Factory low carb small tortilla 50 calories and 7 grams of fiber, pico de gallo salsa, tablespoon of plain greek yogurt, and slice of avocado. About two hundred calories! Lots of flavor and protein, veggie, and fiber! I will in a rush have a piece of Dave's Killer Bread with a Dannon Light Greek Yogurt. Good amount of fiber, protein and fast!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    I can only provide you with my philosopy. I don't stress out too much about exceeding fats,carbs, sugars or protien. But I do make it a point to consume healthy forms of them.

I don't worry about vitamins but I eat total cereal to make sure I am getting most of what I need. That is my go to breakfast during the week with 1 piece of fruit.

Lunch is usually a sala with a dressing with as few calorioes as I can find that tastes good. I also have some form of protien with my lunch. Often times it is chicken but sometimes I have cabbage rolls, or stuffed shells or even pork lion. Low calorie portions of lean meats. with 1 piece of fruit for a snack in the afternoon.

I have been playing with dinners a lot. My wife has also been a lot of help. This is where I get variety in my diet. First I plugged in my recipes to find out if I could fill myself up and stay under my calorie goals. If not I don't eat it. We are always looking for new recipes. We have also been trying to eat fish two nights a week.

As a general rule I have been avoiding breads, spreads, dressing and sauces. That is where the calories hide. That is also where the saturated fats and trans fats are. I get most of my dairy from 1% milk. Haven't brought myself to try fat free milk yet. I try and avoid cheeses because they are really high in calories. I have also traded in traditinal pasta for whole wheat pasta.

The go to items are fresh vegetables and fruits. You can eat vegetables to your hearts content. They are really low in calories and full of good healthy nutrients. The first weight loss trick I learned was to fill up on salad and have a little bit of the other stuff. Leaves me feeling full and satisfied. It also helps to spread out my calories through the day.

Exercise has also been a valuable tool. Not only does it make me straonger and the ability to enjoy life more. I also use it as a crutch to be able to eat a bit more sometimes.

I hope this helps.
  • Eat more - at least eat your calories back that you exercise off since it appears you are using the MFP method (which already calculates your deficit in the 1200 cal/day). A better method IMO:

1. Find TDEE
    2. Eat at 15% less than TDEE (eat that amount every day and don't eat back exercise calories)
    5. Find something other than the scale to track progress (BF%, inches lost, clothing fitting, pictures, strength increases, endurance improvements, etc)

Do that ! It is a SOLID advice. The #5. is especially important. The number on the scale means NOTHING. Measure your bodyfat %, your waist and hips, take pictures every month, etc. etc.

As for proteins, if you want to stay low on calories but consume a lot of proteins, here are the top 10 foods with the BEST protein to calorie ratio :

#1: Turkey Breast (and Chicken Breast) : 1g protein per 4.5 calories
    #2: Fish (Tuna, Salmon, Halibut) : 1g protein per 4.5 calories
    #3: Cheese (Low-fat Mozzarella and Cottage Cheese) : 1g protein per 4.7 calories
    #4: Pork Loin (Chops) : 1g protein per 5.2 calories
    #5: Lean Beef and Veal (Low Fat) : 1g protein per 5.3 calories
    #6: Tofu : 1g protein per 7.4 calories
    #7: Beans (Mature Soy Beans) : 1g protein per 10.4 calories
    #8: Eggs (Especially Egg Whites) : 1g protein per 12 calories
    #9: Yogurt, Milk, and Soymilk : 1g protein per 18 calories
    #10: Nuts and Seeds (Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds, Peanuts, Almonds) : 1g protein per 15.8 calories

Protein shakes are also a good option. Good brands typically have 24 grams of protein for 120 calories which gives a very good ratio of 1g protein per 5 calories and it's cheap, quick and easy !
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Eat more - at least eat your calories back that you exercise off since it appears you are using the MFP method (which already calculates your deficit in the 1200 cal/day). A better method IMO:

1. Find TDEE

I'm in achronym hell...what is TDEE? How does one figure LBM and TDEE - and any other achronym's out there : -)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Google is your friend. ;)

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (what you burn doing basic body functions, normal day to day living, and exercise)

LBM = lean body mass (everything except fat). Measure your body fat % and LBM = (1 -BF%) * weight
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (what you burn doing basic body functions, normal day to day living, and exercise)

LBM = lean body mass (everything except fat). Measure your body fat % and LBM = (1 -BF%) * weight

At the risk of derailing the topic, how have you and other members gotten your body fat percentage measured? I know there are body composition scans, but do you have to get your doctor to order them? I am dubious of scales that claim to measure BF%.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member

At the risk of derailing the topic, how have you and other members gotten your body fat percentage measured? I know there are body composition scans, but do you have to get your doctor to order them? I am dubious of scales that claim to measure BF%.

measure and add what you find into any of a number of online calculators. I use http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/